HELP ! Solar MC4 connections please! (1 Viewer)

dug

May 28, 2011
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
ducato maxi tdi 24'
Exp
Hi all have been waiting for a nice day to fit a 80 watt solar panel for my new 155 ah battery,completely seperate system from the 110 ah and 60 watt panel already on van when i bought it.
Every thing going well ,new panel sylcaflexed on at 10.30 am so it has the rest of the day to adhere,all cables etc in place ....now i go to connect the MC4 connectors the pos mc4 from the panel goes to the mc4 negative cable to the controller and vica verca....
So have the factory wired up the mc4's wrong and what do i connect to the controller.
I have double checked all the cables,as both where black i initually put red tape at intervals down the pos so there could be no mistakes.
Now i'm in a quandry as to connections .as the mc4's have reversed the pos and neg i could easily connect pos to neg at the controller.
Have done all i can for time being also do i need to tape the mc4's to waterproof them they will be under the panel eventually.:cry::Doh:
Thanks Dug.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Just use the connectors as a male and female coupling ignoring any + - on them then just put a voltage meter on the ends before connecting to the regulator to see which is which (in daylight) should get 20 volts up or down a bit but if polarity reversed the reading will have a minus sign before it.

Edit
Re putting tape on NO if the O ring seal is in place they are made for outdoor all weather

OP
OP
dug

dug

May 28, 2011
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
ducato maxi tdi 24'
Exp
MC connections

Thanks Techno ,i will uncover panel and test in the morning and yes the rubber o ring is in place,it's the first time i have come across these connectors,there's only one way to connect up but when you see pos going to neg panic sets in,
Thanks again ,Dug.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dug

dug

May 28, 2011
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
ducato maxi tdi 24'
Exp
Solar connection

Thanks Techno ,i will uncover panel and test in the morning and yes the rubber o ring is in place,it's the first time i have come across these connectors,there's only one way to connect up but when you see pos going to neg panic sets in,
Thanks again ,Dug.:thumb:

:roflmto:I have just been out and the panel is showing 15.8 in daylight with no sun,finish the job today and i will post a costing for anyone thinking of diy install .
Thanks and regards to Techno 100 for helping.:thumb::thumb:Dug.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back