Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
hi, Moran

Haven‘t checked progress on leak, sorry had a few things on the go, but thought this might be a lighter look on things.

posted on another forum that they had just purchased it.

View attachment 462839
our fist van we bought had been left in a pub carpark under trees for 18 months it was green it was black

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
my hope is you might have the same as mine, when it snowed a few weeks ago we had a fair bit of water come in through a skylight, I think because when it melted the snow stopped it running off and the water got much deeper than could normally
I also had the same thing happen to me so maybe this is what happened to Joys motorhome as well . The water could have tracked along the ceiling and ended up in the cabinet . I really hope that’s all it was . Fingers crossed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
Really upset.. Been in lockdown for one reason or another all year apart from one short journey months ago.

Last night had phone call that storage fees due and so no choice, drove to farm to pay. Was dreading seeing mh after months in case of mice... but was so sad to see state of it as I approached. Can't do anything either as am not allowed to wash van at the storage and not got facility at home. GREEN GUNGE everywhere.. Dread what the roof will look like. :(
View attachment 462444View attachment 462445View attachment 462450

Picked myself up and went inside...... Mildew on cupboards and some of upholstery... but most upset on one cupboard with damp on its walls but about 1/4 inch of water on top shelf of it.... :(.

Question: have oncology appointment plus a scan due so can't do anything for abou week.. But as well as wiping everything down with disinfectant to kill the mildew spores, will I make the damp worse by putting heating on for a day? I know it may encourage mice. Any advice welcome.

This photo doesn't really show how bad the cupboard is. The tins are standing in the water.
Sorry for long post.

View attachment 462452 View attachment 462446 View attachment 462447 View attachment 462448

If you put the front wheels on yellow ramps while the van is being stored it will help drain water off the roof.
A vax is good for sucking up water. Unusual for a Burstner to leak. I had some water coming in via the front cab round marker lights on My previous Burstner - as it was a fibreglass moulding no damage was sustained { just needed some sealant to fix }.
There are products for cleaning at your local motorhome / caravan stores or ebay.
One product is called 'muck off' { seriously } and another is called 'winter off'.
The 'winter off' is mixed with water and put on your roof. It stops algae forming on the roof.
Auto Glym 'Clean all' is a very good cleaner. Most Dealers use it to clean both outside and inside of leisure vehicles.
It smells of lemon and is a degreasant. Clean all is diluted and can be put in a hand held spray bottle for inside cleaning.
I dont know if this is a point worth considering,if the cab windows are not covered with a screen cover it will mean that condensation will be considerable and this will circulate around the habitation area and if you have food cans in the cupboard the condensation will also collect around the cans and run down.
as for the exterior take a photo before and after and take a pat on the back when you see the difference.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Joy. 💋
Firstly, love is flooding your way from ALL the good folk on this bloody marvellous site, so take heart from that, then do your planned clear out, especially CANS !! Which are the most likely cause of the water, as many good folk have already said, any moisture in the air will seek the coldest surface on which to condense, and it will do that over and over again.. So empty out, mop up, dry out and keep an eye on it for a while.. We are ALL hoping you will find that will solve the problem.
DONT go up on the bloody roof ! !
If a gorgeous girl like you can’t get the farmer to wipe off the solar, I will eat my own bloody van ! ! 😜
I’m sure he has a ladder and 2 minutes ! !
That will also start to trickle a little bit of Ooomph into your batteries.
Joy, DO tell us all ( roughly )
where you are... folk are queuing up to come and help.
Remember, YOU are more important than the van ! !
So take care of yourself, bathe in our love,
and good luck.
PS. Moth balls scattered around stop mice !
Mitch and Jenny. X X

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Joy, if you're anywhere near Cheshire I'll go up on my ladders and make sure the solar panels are clean. And help with anything else I can. 🙂
movan ... did you say you were after a 'toy boy'? If so I think you might have caught one! :giggle:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
CamperJack

No I couldn't my darlin, anyone would be lucky to have you ...... but I would be adopting you as my virtual son not a toyboy. I'm an old lady. You are very kind too with your offer... Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
CamperJack

No I couldn't my darlin, anyone would be lucky to have you ...... but I would be adopting you as my virtual son not a toyboy. I'm an old lady. You are very kind too with your offer... Thank you. :)

Perhaps just as well. I'm sure the girl I'm seeing would have something to say about me being someones toyboy. ;)

If you need a hand ask. The pub is still shut and I'm still on furlough so I have all the time in the world.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Sorry to read all of this Movan ☹️
You said that you’re not on hook up at the farm but if the farmer comes up with a plan to get power over to you I’ve got a good quality dehumidifier which I can drop off with pleasure.
I know it would also be taking moisture from the outside but the air flow would surely help.
Like Jack I’m also in Cheshire so just ask.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hi Movan.

What news?

Any progress with clean and finding out if leak or condensation?

Cheers.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Movan.

What news?

Any progress with clean and finding out if leak or condensation?

Cheers.
Hi sunshine went up today and it's looking good.

Removing the tins seems to have stopped it and it doesn't seem too bad.. I have put loads of those dehumidifier boxes and they don't seem to have taken in much damp.. :). So I am hopeful. I will let you know as soon as I know anything definite though. :). Thanks for asking.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi sunshine went up today and it's looking good.

Removing the tins seems to have stopped it and it doesn't seem too bad.. I have put loads of those dehumidifier boxes and they don't seem to have taken in much damp.. :). So I am hopeful. I will let you know as soon as I know anything definite though. :). Thanks for asking.
sounds as expected Joy, just a note of caution. Those crystals work very well, in fact too well. The open air vents in a motorhome allows moist air in from outside. A dehumidifier in a van stored outside is pointless and those crystals the same. Problem is that you will see them all wet and then cry worrying there is a leak that isn't there

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
sounds as expected Joy, just a note of caution. Those crystals work very well, in fact too well. The open air vents in a motorhome allows moist air in from outside. A dehumidifier in a van stored outside is pointless and those crystals the same. Problem is that you will see them all wet and then cry worrying there is a leak that isn't there
movan I have used the moisture traps for years, am aware that they can ‘draw in’ moisture. I always have toilet rolls and kitchen rolls in the van too, they don’t get damp. /big difference between a bit of moisture in a trap and one that is filling up every couple of days though. Glad to hear things may not be as bad as you feared. Roll on getting out and about and the big clean up.
I have been using dobbie when I can really need to check the leisure battery, and get a new hook up point, it’s been needing changing since I forgot about being hooked up and opened the sliding door too far. Not the right weather to look at it properly and would be doing it out in the street as it doesn’t fit in the garage and we don’t have a drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back