Help re a leak. . Or is it? (1 Viewer)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
With the storage on a farm you are right to be concerned about mice. We personally would not keep anything that will help them build nests/keep them warm. Paper and therefore the kitchen towel is classical 'go to' for mice. Not meaning to sound a smart arse but whenever we leave it for more than a few weeks we have a simple system of decanting everything into 'really useful boxes' marked up with what goes where. Mice also pee a lot to mark their territory. Blimey sounds a bit OTT but it works for us, we use it as a normal procedure.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Really sorry to hear of your plight.
Do not bother with heat - it will just cost you money.
Remove anything that may hold water, if it's practical to do so: towels, linen, ...
This may seem counter-intuitive, but let the air in, to flow freely. Damp stagnent air will encourage mould. Leave cupboard doors open. Unless you have water coming in, nature will dry it out for you.
I would, however, check for the possibility of leaks. Water ingress can do a lot of damage, so needs to be stopped as soon as possible.
Chin up! It will soon be warmer again!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Movan, I have just seen this don't fret, it can get sorted, I have not read the whole thread as I'm on a quick lunch break
1612444005570.png
put on your super powers its wood,tine and rubber everything is fixable

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sorry to hear of your problems Joy, I think you have enough answers to keep you going.
Your batteries are on the low side only 50% or less charged. Can you get to the solar panels through your rooflights and give them a clean, it will make a big difference at this time of year.

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
To deter mice, get a box of the scented sheets you put in tumble dryers (from any supermarket) and leave a sheet in every cupboard, under seating etc. We did this in our caravan which was left closed up all winter, many other folk had mice infestations but we never did. Don't think they like the smell, or it masks what smells attract them, either way it worked 👍👍

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Really upset.. Been in lockdown for one reason or another all year apart from one short journey months ago.

Last night had phone call that storage fees due and so no choice, drove to farm to pay. Was dreading seeing mh after months in case of mice... but was so sad to see state of it as I approached. Can't do anything either as am not allowed to wash van at the storage and not got facility at home. GREEN GUNGE everywhere.. Dread what the roof will look like. :(
View attachment 462444View attachment 462445View attachment 462450

Picked myself up and went inside...... Mildew on cupboards and some of upholstery... but most upset on one cupboard with damp on its walls but about 1/4 inch of water on top shelf of it.... :(.

Question: have oncology appointment plus a scan due so can't do anything for abou week.. But as well as wiping everything down with disinfectant to kill the mildew spores, will I make the damp worse by putting heating on for a day? I know it may encourage mice. Any advice welcome.

This photo doesn't really show how bad the cupboard is. The tins are standing in the water.
Sorry for long post.

View attachment 462452 View attachment 462446 View attachment 462447 View attachment 462448
Hi Joy,
Sorry to hear this but as others have said don’t worry about the outside, that just cosmetic, 2 hours with a bucket or two of water and Fenwicks Motorhome cleaner will sort that, as for the inside it would be better if you could empty all the cupboards, either store contents at home or put them all in cardboard boxes and leave in centre aisle wipe cupboards out dry, it would also help to combat condensation if you could leave the windows on the vent position to help air circulate the inside, also leave all blinds open so the sun can get in and help keep the inside warm and aired, use old curtains or bedsheets to cover upholstery to prevent fading, and get a Mobile caravan engineer ASAP to come and check if there is a leak or not if only the one cupboard I would suspect a leak, tho a lot of cold tins in a cupboard could also cause more condensation, if you have levelling ramps consider driving the front or rear wheels up on them so that the van is NOT level, this will prevent water “pooling” on the roof and it will just run off, I know from experience that it’s a stomach churning experience to find water ingress in your van, but hopefully it may not be, and if it is at least let’s hope you’ve caught it early enough. Take care & stay safe.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Sorry to hear about your troubles Joy.
You must have read all the above suggestions so I will offer mine.

Make a flask of your favourite brew visit the van load all the food in your car sit in the van and pretend that you are somewhere warm. Clean the solar panel have another cup from the flask. The funsters will be along to sort out the van for you just as soon as they can get out and about.👄 Believe it or not. Your cup is half full not half empty 👍🏼

May 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2000
Clean cupboards with white vinegar as it kills mold spores.leave cab window open just a touch so air can cir slate and leave one of windows open on first catch so air can flow from front to rear.take all tins out as they get cold and attract condensation.
You can also put plastic tarp over roof to stop leaking in more ,untill you get chance to find where leak is.
You can also put some damp traps in ,it all helps .

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Sorry to sound unsympathic but it is a golden rule that you completely empty the habitation cupboards if you are going to store any moho for a considerable length of time. It all just adds to the damp issues and mice will soon find that lovely juice box i can see.....

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Really sorry to hear your woes, and hope all works out for you

I don't know if this helps, it is the finish Couple who live full time in theirs and they talk about not having Condensation despite living in their all year and share some of their experiences in making sure Condensation is kept to a minimum they may have some tips that would interest you going forwards hope it helps.
Some interesting stuff in that video. I liked the internal silver screen type inserts for the side windows & their curtains which look like a woodland view. I've never seen a log burner in a pvc before either.

Joy hope you find the energy to deal with this. I know it's really difficult, hopefully not too long before some of the Flora lot can give you a hand & then get to the bottom of the issue x

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
To deter mice, get a box of the scented sheets you put in tumble dryers (from any supermarket) and leave a sheet in every cupboard, under seating etc. We did this in our caravan which was left closed up all winter,
Wow thanks all. Yes... That's what I do too... I am sure it helps. Sometimes if I cannot find the tumble dryer sheets, I put lavender oil on tissues and place those everywhere. :)
condensation, if you have levelling ramps consider driving the front or rear wheels up on them so that the van is NOT level, this will prevent water “pooling” on the roof and it will just run off, I know from
Thank you. Not been too brilliant today but tomorrow I will go to farm and use ramps. Thank you.
Make a flask of your favourite brew visit the van load all the food in your car sit in the van and pretend that you are somewhere warm. Clean the solar panel have another cup from the flask. The funsters will be along to sort
Ha ha. Funnily enough I have just treated myself to a bottle of 43. I never spend money on myself as penny saving to try and buy a house, but I thought what the heck. Will do that tomorrow. :)
Clean cupboards with white vinegar as it kills mold spores.leave cab window open just a touch so air can cir slate and leave one of windows open on first catch so air can flow from front to rear.take all tins out as they get cold and attract condensation.
Thank you. Yes, I am a great believer in white vinegar for all kinds of things. :)
Sorry to sound unsympathic but it is a golden rule that you completely empty the habitation cupboards if you are going to store any moho for a considerable length of time. It all just adds to the damp issues and mice will soon find that lovely juice box i can see.....
I know Steve. You are right. I had just loaded up my mh thinking I was about to set off down South for 3 or 4 months. But ill health and lockdown stopped that :( so yesterday was first chance I had been able to go up to it. Fortunatelty, I had bought a load of plastic boxes and put most things in labelled boxes in the cupboards, thank goodness.

THANK YOU again everyone. I am setting alarm tomorrow morning and will spend most of day sorting as best I can.

Vipar I will take my ladders and try and clean the solar panels.

Hugs all.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
leave cab window open just a touch so air can cir slate and leave one of windows open on first catch so air can flow from front to rear
Not something I'd do as it could make it easier to be broken into and will invalidate the insurance.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
movan Hi love, I can understand you must have been upset when you seen the van, sorry I was not very well when we talked and forgot you were going to the van, lot's of good advice on here and most importantly you had no mice which was good. I know there's no way you can wash the outside yourself but one of the local car wash places may take the worse of it off, then maybe get someone like DavidG58 man to give it a good clean because hopefully this year you will be able to use it. :hugs:
Edit don't you dare go climbing any Ladders to get on the roof. x

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
movan Hi love, I can understand you must have been upset when you seen the van, sorry I was not very well when we talked and forgot you were going to the van, lot's of good advice on here and most importantly you had no mice which was good. I know there's no way you can wash the outside yourself but one of the local car wash places may take the worse of it off, then maybe get someone like DavidG58 man to give it a good clean because hopefully this year you will be able to use it. :hugs:
Edit don't you dare go climbing any Ladders to get on the roof. x
I'm with Carol on that one NO LADDERS do not go climbing on your own that is silly.

As for the meeces they have taken one look and thought Bl@@dy Hell look at that gungy old thing lets go and live in a Carthago , so you have a great deterrent, sounds like a good plan.

You have also inadvertently helped out everyone else who may have left cans in their van they will go out and chech, so you are still when in a crisis helping others - you just can't help it

Chin up it will be fine

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
hi, Moran

Haven‘t checked progress on leak, sorry had a few things on the go, but thought this might be a lighter look on things.

posted on another forum that they had just purchased it.

1612468657358.png

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I am so sorry to learn of your woes re the MH Joy. It must be very disheartening for you. :cry:

Can't do anything either as am not allowed to wash van at the storage and not got facility at home.
Have you got the room to park it up at home Joy, even if just for a couple of days, as Lenny HB pointed out, those batteries need charging. :(
If left to discharge any lower, you could end up having to replace them, as the worst case scenario.

Good luck whatever you decide. :hugs:

Jock. 💜

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Would love to see the finished result. :)
Hi,
sorry for misspelling, auto correct strikes again if in a hurry and don’t read.

not sure we will ever see the outcome but hopefully it just cosmetic.

cheers

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Thank you all so much. First thing I am doing is going soaking up all the water and wiping down the woodwork, cupboards with mild amount of mildew remover whilst having doors and windows open.

I will firstly try and find somewhere open that sells those condensation collector boxes to put around the mh.

I'll clear the cupboards out.. By then I will probably have frozen fingers and so will go home and get warm.

TThink, from talking to a lovely funster who knows my mh roof, that there is probably a leak which needs sorting but will leave that for today. Other thing is that need to check batteries are charging, (are solar panels covered in gunge), as hoping no problems there. Both batteries only read 12.2.

WWill let you know what I find.

THANK YOU AND THANK YOU OVER AND OVER AGAIN XXX
B& q for silica crystals and their boxes or Amazon, sorry Joy that we can’t help you good luck with the clean up

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back