Help re a leak. . Or is it? (1 Viewer)

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
If you put the front wheels on yellow ramps while the van is being stored it will help drain water off the roof.
A vax is good for sucking up water. Unusual for a Burstner to leak. I had some water coming in via the front cab round marker lights on My previous Burstner - as it was a fibreglass moulding no damage was sustained { just needed some sealant to fix }.
There are products for cleaning at your local motorhome / caravan stores or ebay.
One product is called 'muck off' { seriously } and another is called 'winter off'.
The 'winter off' is mixed with water and put on your roof. It stops algae forming on the roof.
Auto Glym 'Clean all' is a very good cleaner. Most Dealers use it to clean both outside and inside of leisure vehicles.
It smells of lemon and is a degreasant. Clean all is diluted and can be put in a hand held spray bottle for inside cleaning.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Well Movan, I'm no expert on these things so I'm not going to offer advice. I also know that telling you not to worry will not stop you worrying, but as you know there is lots of people on here who care about you and plenty with lots of expert advice when the cause is actually known to turn to for advice.
This post from westhamman has summed it up for me. We know you will worry and fret Joy but lots of posts in this thread are trying to offer reassurance, practical advice and the equivalent of a SD hug :hugs:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Joy,
Thinking about it, It`s possible the freeze we had around Christmas may have split one of those tins and the water contents run out on thawing, so you may not have a leak at all (y)
Fingers crossed for you
That's the second thing I thought of too as we've had that happen, bottles are also notorious for it too.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we had the same leak on ours joy only on the opposite side and it was the screws in the jointing strip across the join between cab and main roof .As a temporary repair would get someone to run some gorilla tap across the roof if you leave it it going to cause more problems

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I haven’t been on the forum since this morning so I missed your post. I know how much you were dreading going to see it.
Lots of good advice given but some of them like putting temporary tape on mean climbing up on top and I don’t think you should be attempting that.
sweetie has suggested that there might be a funster who could go, even on these lockdown days or even recommend a mobile technician who would be allowed to go. Don’t be worried about asking for help.

Go back, if you feel strong enough, and sort out the inside as suggested. That will be a good job done and may make you feel better about it.
I feel snoggy hugs are in order
AA019C7A-FCF5-4D8F-BB72-8902C3F65CD7.jpeg

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
movan if there is any way I can help feel free to Pm me.
Outside can wait for better weather, I've started using "wet and forget" for the alge.
In the van have been using tubs of table salt, you can dry it out and reuse
My vans in lydiate as an indication of location and hope to pop up at weekend to do a few little jobs.

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Really upset.. Been in lockdown for one reason or another all year apart from one short journey months ago.

Last night had phone call that storage fees due and so no choice, drove to farm to pay. Was dreading seeing mh after months in case of mice... but was so sad to see state of it as I approached. Can't do anything either as am not allowed to wash van at the storage and not got facility at home. GREEN GUNGE everywhere.. Dread what the roof will look like. :(
View attachment 462444View attachment 462445View attachment 462450

Picked myself up and went inside...... Mildew on cupboards and some of upholstery... but most upset on one cupboard with damp on its walls but about 1/4 inch of water on top shelf of it.... :(.

Question: have oncology appointment plus a scan due so can't do anything for abou week.. But as well as wiping everything down with disinfectant to kill the mildew spores, will I make the damp worse by putting heating on for a day? I know it may encourage mice. Any advice welcome.

This photo doesn't really show how bad the cupboard is. The tins are standing in the water.
Sorry for long post.

View attachment 462452 View attachment 462446 View attachment 462447 View attachment 462448
Ventilation,.... Ventilation !!!!!

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Really upset.. Been in lockdown for one reason or another all year apart from one short journey months ago.

Last night had phone call that storage fees due and so no choice, drove to farm to pay. Was dreading seeing mh after months in case of mice... but was so sad to see state of it as I approached. Can't do anything either as am not allowed to wash van at the storage and not got facility at home. GREEN GUNGE everywhere.. Dread what the roof will look like. :(

Picked myself up and went inside...... Mildew on cupboards and some of upholstery... but most upset on one cupboard with damp on its walls but about 1/4 inch of water on top shelf of it.... :(.

Question: have oncology appointment plus a scan due so can't do anything for abou week.. But as well as wiping everything down with disinfectant to kill the mildew spores, will I make the damp worse by putting heating on for a day? I know it may encourage mice. Any advice welcome.

This photo doesn't really show how bad the cupboard is. The tins are standing in the water.
Sorry for long post.

View attachment 462452 View attachment 462446 View attachment 462447 View attachment 462448
Ventilation,..Ventilation,....Ventilation !!!....If you put heaters on without enough ventilation, then you will generate a tropical rainforest atmosphere,...Perfect conditions for moulds and Fungi !

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
My vans in lydiate as an indication of location and hope to pop up at weekend to do a few little jobs.
Hi Robby. My van is in storage in Lydiate as well!
I hope it’s just condensation Joy or something simple and cheap to sort. Once we are allowed out I can come with Carol and Sue to help out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Yep, the exterior is no biggy. I use TFR (Traffic Film Remover) on all my vehicles about once a year - you can get it from any decent car spares place, i.e. maybe not Halfords, and it shifts everything apart from tar.

I have more experience with static vans and boats than motorhomes, but until you're sure it's a leak do not underestimate how much condensation can build up over time.

Edit to add - don't suppose you're near Southampton are you? Cleaning that up would be a really satisfying job!
Hi, our HobbyVan was also looking a bit green.
I bought a Karcher foam gun and a gallon of vehicle foam, and it worked a treat on all the gunge. One spray a brush over on the foam and the gunge fell off. Wash off and hey presto. Clean Van.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
So sorry for your heartbreak.

Personally, and it is only my personal view

Mold etc needs humidity and static air to thrive. Trying to de-humidify any area that is not sealed is a waste of time and money as the ambient humidity will equalise with the interior, you are in effect trying to dry our nature.

Take out all the tins, cans and especially paper/carboard (boxes and maps) if you cannot take home the mattress and other soft furnishings stand them on their sides so air can circulate. Open every cupboard and door within the van to let the air in and out. Do not heat the van !

The large rolls of paper toweling available at DIY, Lidl and Aldi sometimes it is blue or a pale red (must be coloured) is fantastic for finding where water "may" be coming from as it changes to a deeper colour at the very slightest of damp, use it to seek out damp/humid areas after you have given it all a good dry out with towels etc.

I wish you good luck.
phil (de fer)

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
Well Movan, thankfully you are a long way from me, so I can happily offer help knowing full well I will not have to. I would however be more than happy to watch, if you put it on you tube. I haven't visited my van in storage since October, so not looking forward to it next month.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thank you all so much. First thing I am doing is going soaking up all the water and wiping down the woodwork, cupboards with mild amount of mildew remover whilst having doors and windows open.

I will firstly try and find somewhere open that sells those condensation collector boxes to put around the mh.

I'll clear the cupboards out.. By then I will probably have frozen fingers and so will go home and get warm.

TThink, from talking to a lovely funster who knows my mh roof, that there is probably a leak which needs sorting but will leave that for today. Other thing is that need to check batteries are charging, (are solar panels covered in gunge), as hoping no problems there. Both batteries only read 12.2.

WWill let you know what I find.

THANK YOU AND THANK YOU OVER AND OVER AGAIN XXX

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Meanwhile 20 miles away , we actually stayed in the MH yesterday night
( in the shed 😁 )

Not even 20, 12.4 according to google, you must be on the edge of the snow I guess. Hope you are getting all your odd jobs done under cover.

movan Joy could you put a dehumidifier in it to help dry it out. If so maybe ask if any funsters living nearby has one you can borrow.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Joy could you put a dehumidifier in it to help dry it out. If so maybe ask if any funsters living nearby has one you can borrow.
No ehc Sandra. It's just a farm. No toilets or anything. .. Just lots of mud.

X

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Suggest you get a good moisture meter (damp meter) - cost about £20. Do periodic checks, that could save you loads of repair bills but more importantly give you peace of mind (if the meter says it ain't wet you can forget about it).

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Meanwhile 20 miles away , we actually stayed in the MH yesterday night
( in the shed 😁 )

View attachment 462667
My goodness, you're a tough lot up there. I can think of nothing more miserable than spending a night in mine in that weather.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Something like this might help

Amazon product ASIN B015AOGP1S
But you do have to empty them on a very regular basis.

The green on the outside is not a massive issue - more unslightly than anything. Our motorhome was similar and is on our drive - we didn't realise how bad it was until we washed it !!! I bought a car care kit with a couple of different grades of sponge (which I cut to fit my hand and used the off cuts to get into smaller spaces) and lots of microfibre cloths. THere are lots of different detergents available - I made sure I got one that was for caravans rather than cars.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’m not sure about condensation collection boxes , the vans have ventilation vents so they would just suck it in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forget the daft little dehumidifier stuff it will just dry up the moisture anywhere which will be immediately replaced by more moisture. People think they work because they get 'wet' which they will but they will have little effect on MH unless you seal absolutely every external opening/vent etc which you cannot do.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Forget the daft little dehumidifier stuff it will just dry up the moisture anywhere which will be immediately replaced by more moisture. People think they work because they get 'wet' which they will but they will have little effect on MH unless you seal absolutely every external opening/vent etc which you cannot do.

We have a mains dehumidifier in our van when it's parked up. I am aware that it sucks in moisture from outside but that means there is air flow through the van. All internal lockers and cupboards are left open.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to hear this it’s a shame you can’t take it on an essential grocery shopping trip to really charge the batteries.
I think it does sound like a leak too with that amount of standing water, it could do with a roof cover until you get sorted out if anyone has one spare.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We have a mains dehumidifier in our van when it's parked up. I am aware that it sucks in moisture from outside but that means there is air flow through the van. All internal lockers and cupboards are left open.
I can see the logic in that as you know the effect it has and what you are achieving and don't just expect it to remove the moisture totally which is what people think they are doing. The daft little moisture trap things IMV are just a waste of money and give a false 'sense of security'.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Sorry for long post.

Really sorry to hear your woes, and hope all works out for you

I don't know if this helps, it is the finish Couple who live full time in theirs and they talk about not having Condensation despite living in their all year and share some of their experiences in making sure Condensation is kept to a minimum they may have some tips that would interest you going forwards hope it helps.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Really sorry to read this and see your photos. Sometimes it seems to be just one thing after another doesn't it. Reading the advice you've received it is all very constructive, I shall be following some of it!
Look forward to reading that all is well soon.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
As Aly says Joy, happy to help when allowed to travel. If we can get on Pleasureland again then we can raid B&M for any cleaning materials needed to sort the interior.!! x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back