Help! No hot water on new to me van (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi
My friend Fatnav a fellow funster has just bought a 2007 Arto E. The previous owner filled it with water but did not notice the frost protector was open. When Paul put the hot water on the water all drained through the frost protector.
He closed it and refilled. After bleeding the system by running the taps the cold water is coming through.
However the hot water is not coming through and the boiler is not heating water.
He has run the taps (all at once). And after some sputtering it starts to run but then it stops again. As if air is getting in and not being purged.
Any ideas? He has spoken to the previous owner who says he has no idea why. It hasn't happened before.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It takes about 20 litres of water to fill the hot water tank after draining so you need to wait a little while with the hot tap open

Also there may be a separate hot water drain valve - check if you have one and that it is closed

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I can't see or hear any water running outside the van. The taps did start to run freely so he turned them all off. Tried again a minute or two later and they were full of air again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I can't see or hear any water running outside the van. The taps did start to run freely so he turned them all off. Tried again a minute or two later and they were full of air again.
Keep the taps open and wait a while longer
If there is water of the cold taps there is no reason for not having water on the hot taps

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you can access the pump see if its running with all taps closed.
If it is then its either filling the boiler or there's a leak in the hot pipework.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
We will try again. I am guessing that if the boiler hasn't filled up properly the water might siphon back into the boiler?.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
On my N & B, there is an additional drain valve for the hot & cold water, these are located in the service compartment near the cold weather dump valve. I sometimes find if I open the hot water valve & run a little water off this helps purge the system, might be worth a try if he one of these valves. Alternatively, I tend to use a jug with a small amount of water in, place the nozzle of the tap in the water, open the tap a small amount & bleed the air out through the water, this method seems to work on my Arto

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Its surprising how long it takes to fill the boiler I often think its full only to find it needs quite a bit more also not a good idea to switch on the boiler until you are sure its full.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Not wishing to seem negative but you’d have thought that a demo of the heating / hot water / fridge / cooker etc would be part of the handover

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Update

It turned out to be a no return valve that failed in the pump. Fixed and working perfectly. Thanks everyone for the input, very much appreciated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back