Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would just use google drive and word process on there. Everything is then automatically saved you can access it from your phone or if the laptop packs in a replacement without any hassle. You can upload your existing documents to it. The free storage will probably easily cover what youve got.
That's certainly an option but there are some things I don't want to be in 'Google-land' as I wouldn't want to risk them being hacked ... I'm not talking about me in my bikini! :giggle:

OP
OP
Ninovan
Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
peterc10 . Thanks for that, very interesting! Strangely enough, I have avg as anti virus! Borderland , my laptop is a Lenovo as well, so looks like I was hit with a double whammy! All sorted now though, installed Libre which worked to open word, but then it all came back on Friday anyway, so it would seem another update happened! Thanks to everyone for all your help (y)(y)(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I use WPS in place of MS Office :) The basics are free and you can buy any extras as you need them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
... I don't want to be in 'Google-land' as I wouldn't want to risk them being hacked ... I'm not talking about me in my bikini! :giggle:
I doubt there’s anyway to bypass the owner to directly get to any cloud storage unless a “hacker” has access via an owner’s own computer.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
peterc10 . Thanks for that, very interesting! Strangely enough, I have avg as anti virus! Borderland , my laptop is a Lenovo as well, so looks like I was hit with a double whammy! All sorted now though, installed Libre which worked to open word, but then it all came back on Friday anyway, so it would seem another update happened! Thanks to everyone for all your help (y)(y)(y)
Yip, MS fixed some of the update errors in a release on Friday. Some still outstanding though. I always wait for a month or so after a major release before updating so fixes are made.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Yip, MS fixed some of the update errors in a release on Friday. Some still outstanding though. I always wait for a month or so after a major release before updating so fixes are made.
That’s a double edge sword tho.
A lot of fixes are security related.
Lots of updates apply with out issue.

Holding off updates may work if you’re sure your PC is ring fenced but maybe not so good as general advice for the masses.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
That’s a double edge sword tho.
A lot of fixes are security related.
Lots of updates apply with out issue.

Holding off updates may work if you’re sure your PC is ring fenced but maybe not so good as general advice for the masses.
You can check AskWoody website as it gives details of what's included in the updates however I do believe there is a greater risk from MS update quality than security issues assuming you ain't going to suspect websites! :whistle2:
From memory, every major Windows 10 update (not Defender) has had quality issues with some of them having to be recalled \ replaced in quick order!

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
👍🏻
Got to be a “YMMV” thing.
I’ve had so little trouble with MS’ OS I let them push out all the updates - inc. Office.
I did drop out of the fast track beta program to the slow track but not because of patch issues.
I just wanted less full OS upgrades. The slow track is more manageable.

I started with dos + windows 3 as a separate executable. I remember my mum deleting win.exe on her computer cos she “didn’t use it” 😳

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back