Help! Lost MirrorGuard wing mirror protector (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
We’re in Spain and we’ve lost our near side (UK) Mirror Guard wing mirror protector.

We’re near Valencia in Spain on our way down to Morocco.

Does anybody have any idea where we might be able to get a replacement, even if it’s not Mirror Guard.

Our van is a Fiat Ducato with short arm mirrors.

Apr 13, 2023
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
ADRIA MATRIX 600SL
Exp
1st timer since Jan 2023
If you're on about the crash helmet quality Mirror guards, there's a reason why they're £140 it's because they are the best on the market ! Other cheaper brand's like Milenco etc don't protect your mirror head if you get a heavy impact.
I know because It happened to me with a VW Transporter camper van, lady hit me and her mirror was totally destroyed, hanging by the wires.
As regards the fitting, it's all about preparing the surfaces, you need to clean the mirror plastic and wipe over with white spirit or cellulose thinners. I applied several more 3m stickers inside covers, especially on the sides as this makes a tighter fit. Never had either one budge, even when clashed. I could never drill and screw my mirrors, as not only would it look unsightly, and hole the original mirror, but mainly weaken the mirror guard if you had a clash chances are it would break up on impact. You wouldn't put a screw in a crash helmet would you 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
If you're on about the crash helmet quality Mirror guards, there's a reason why they're £140 it's because they are the best on the market ! Other cheaper brand's like Milenco etc don't protect your mirror head if you get a heavy impact.
I know because It happened to me with a VW Transporter camper van, lady hit me and her mirror was totally destroyed, hanging by the wires.
As regards the fitting, it's all about preparing the surfaces, you need to clean the mirror plastic and wipe over with white spirit or cellulose thinners. I applied several more 3m stickers inside covers, especially on the sides as this makes a tighter fit. Never had either one budge, even when clashed. I could never drill and screw my mirrors, as not only would it look unsightly, and hole the original mirror, but mainly weaken the mirror guard if you had a clash chances are it would break up on impact. You wouldn't put a screw in a crash helmet would you 🤷‍♂️
The set of mirror covers I bought at the Motohome show in Peterborough, came with small stainless screws and sticky pads, and had quite a few knocks, and never cracked or broke. Even when white van man and a whoosh bang tried their best.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I have an A class which got clobbered last November by some t##t driving a Jewsons lorry with the big yellow covers on, so if anyone wants to design some of them big stainless steel covers used on HGVs for my carthago I’ll be your first customer😁😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992

I don’t necessarily want to pay for something that's indestructible, just something sacrificial that will protect the mirror & casing in the event of a coming together with white van man. I’ve put a lot of effort into securing mine including all the obvious solutions and it still wants to fall off. A screw might be not be desirable but neither is causing injury (or worse) to a following driver.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I don’t necessarily want to pay for something that's indestructible, just something sacrificial that will protect the mirror & casing in the event of a coming together with white van man. I’ve put a lot of effort into securing mine including all the obvious solutions and it still wants to fall off. A screw might be not be desirable but neither is causing injury (or worse) to a following driver.
Had a massive clout the other day on the off side MirrorGuard tangling with a Range Rover hurtling through the lanes down here. Mirror fine just folded in or rather slammed in! It did however suffer a short hairline crack so will drizzle a bit of glue into that. MirrorGuard still firmly fixed to mirror but would endorse a previous posters suggestion of a few dobs of Sikkaflex to back up the 3M tape. Did its job, saved the mirror. So money well spent in its first year of service. (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Bogus argument. A, Every crash helmet I've owned in over 50 years of motorcycling has had screws in either for the visor, or peak or chin guard. B The screws for the Milenco mirrors attach a plate to themselves that positively holds them in place so they don't fall off when a passing sparrow farts in their direction, but each to their own, if your happy paying for higher quality items to litter the countryside up, crack on.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Either way go for Mirror Guards. Worth the extra in my view and as others I have spoken too who have survived mirror collisions.
Its funny that my customers have praised my item which is a fraction of the price, doesn't fall off, not easily stolen and even after a minor scrape still look good, unlike some brands.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Always remember long arm covers and short arm covers are different!
Apart from the obvious answer about knuckles dragging on the ground or not being able to scratch the top of your head, how can you tell whether you have long arms or short arms or even medium arms? Asking for a friend with a Ducato based motorhome that probably has long arms but . . . . .

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
Bognor Regis, UK
Funster No
MH
Bürstner 690 Nexxo
Exp
Since 2017
Apart from the obvious answer about knuckles dragging on the ground or not being able to scratch the top of your head, how can you tell whether you have long arms or short arms or even medium arms? Asking for a friend with a Ducato based motorhome that probably has long arms but . . . . .

My understanding is that if you have long arms you should be able to scratch the top of your head and if you have short ones then you can only scratch your chin, just!

Motorhome Mirror Protectors Guards Ducato Boxer Relay Long Arm Pair White | eBay

If you look at Jezports website, you will see the bottom 2 photos on the left show you the difference

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Top pic long /med. Bottom pic short arm
2mirro.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
helzie2020
Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
Well, we haven’t been able to get any kind of replacement while travelling through Spain. We found one place which said yes but then it turned out they would have to order it in, which would take a couple of days and we couldn’t wait. We’ll just have to ‘wing’ it in Morocco!

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Its funny that my customers have praised my item which is a fraction of the price, doesn't fall off, not easily stolen and even after a minor scrape still look good, unlike some brands.
That's great and in particular for you as a seller. Having seen the cheaper versions I made my choice. Any Guard is probably better than no Guard at all.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
That's great and in particular for you as a seller. Having seen the cheaper versions I made my choice. Any Guard is probably better than no Guard at all.
I don't like the look of the dearer ones, plus I've had a lot of customers tell me theses do the job well.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2023
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
ADRIA MATRIX 600SL
Exp
1st timer since Jan 2023
I don't like the look of the dearer ones, plus I've had a lot of customers tell me theses do the job well.
That's rubbish they look exactly the same from the outside, probably because they copied mirror guards. So in look's only not quality, as they don't have honeycomb padding inside which cushions the impact between your mirrors and the covers ! They also don't have a gasket rubber seal around the edge which really finishes them off once fitted.
Mine have been tested at 20-30mph and destroyed the oncoming mirror . . .

20240206_092531.jpg

20240206_092538.jpg

20240206_092551.jpg

20240206_092600.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
That's rubbish they look exactly the same from the outside, probably because they copied mirror guards. So in look's only not quality, as they don't have honeycomb padding inside which cushions the impact between your mirrors and the covers ! They also don't have a gasket rubber seal around the edge which really finishes them off once fitted.
Mine have been tested at 20-30mph and destroyed the oncoming mirror . . .

View attachment 862793

View attachment 862794

View attachment 862795

View attachment 862796
No need to be rude.
They look bulky, and have a black trim that I think is ugly and look like a motorcyclists helmet they also make the mirror larger making more mirror to hit.
That's why I wont have them on my van!
P.S. its not a gasket or seal its just an ugly trim covering the edge.
I have emails from customers reporting impacts that have destroyed the other vans mirror in an impact leaving the protected one intact at 20-30mph. I received one recently and he said he will happily share his details if required. My van has had them on for over 7 years without me losing one!!!!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
No need to be rude.
They look bulky, and have a black trim that I think is ugly and look like a motorcyclists helmet they also make the mirror larger making more mirror to hit.
That's why I wont have them on my van!
P.S. its not a gasket or seal its just an ugly trim covering the edge.
I have emails from customers reporting impacts that have destroyed the other vans mirror in an impact leaving the protected one intact at 20-30mph. I received one recently and he said he will happily share his details if required. My van has had them on for over 7 years without me losing one!!!!
You're probably going to have to agree to disagree on this topic. Some van owners are quite happy parting with their folding for a particular brand, irrespective. Personally, I'm content with something that's perfectly suitable for the job, and at a bargain price, indeed a price that lets me carry a spare set aboard the van, along with mirror glass, just in case, and still have some wonga left over for other bits 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Always collapse mirrors in while it's parked up, then wind can't get behind to blow off 🤷‍♂️

I don’t think the problem is much to do with wind, but poor fit/adhesion combined with uneven road surface and potholes shakes them of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I don’t think the problem is much to do with wind, but poor fit/adhesion combined with uneven road surface and potholes shakes them of.
The fiat mirrors can vary, the benefit of the less expensive covers is they can be heated in very hot water to reshape slightly for a badly manufactured mirror.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back