Help again with tv in van! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Just finishing off cleaning the van before exchange. Now thinking again about tv in the new van with out a sat dish.
Many of you have helped me in the pass, but I am sorry I still cannot get my head around it. The new van will have a 4G aerial fitted for good reception of WiFi. ( Had 4G in my present van and it always gave me excellent WiFi connection).

SO the question again is, how do it get good tv reception without a sat dish. I think I want to connect my IPad to my tv,is this doable? Or do I need a firestick? We don’t normally download tv programmes to take with us we like to watch the news programmes, Corre !! but most important is I like Eurosport for the cycling. But have just found that I can watch my cycling channels via an app on my IPad , with iPad small I would like to watch it on a larger tv.

Please answers in VERY VERY simple terms.

Colyboy

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Firestick as stated. Make sure you set data use on the stick and within Netflix, so it only uses the lowest 300mb per hour, no loss of quality on small screens. We uses a basic PC monitor which has HDMI and built in speakers and a VESA mount. Plug the Firestick into the HDMI port, power FireTv from the USB port on the monitor. Neat setup.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I use a roku stick plugged into the tele with the roku stick connected to my phone using my 100 gig data with vodaphone

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
You won't get tv reception out of the uk without satellite. You will be streaming programmes using the mifi and depending on what tv you have you either use the tv direct if it's a smart tv to access the various channels on demand apps or you plug in a firestick to the tv and load the channel apps onto that. If you are a total technophobe it's best to get someone round to show/help you. I sorted on demand tv out for my mum recently it only stuck after being shown.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We gave up on that early on and went to a firestick.
I know, but the question was
SO the question again is, how do it get good tv reception without a sat dish. I think I want to connect my IPad to my tv,is this doable?

Please answers in VERY VERY simple terms.

Colyboy
And that is as simple as you can get.

Truthfully for non techie people Sat TV does still present the easiest option in many cases

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for all your replies, almost understand!
It "seems like I need a “firestick”.
There seems to be quite a range which is the best one to buy?.

colyboy

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019

colyboy
What Tv do you have ? Then we can recommend the correct model of firestick 👍🏻

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
To be pedantic, sorry, your 4G antenna doesn't give you good WiFi, it gives you optimum 4G reception. Your phone or WiFi dongle generates the WiFi locally - typically without issue in non-metallic bodied motorhomes.

A consideration is that with the free satellite TV channels there are no costs for streaming the pictures, just the hardware costs for a dish, whereas if you choose to stream Freeview or any other service on t'internet you use your data allowance on the 4G contract and need to be sure you aren't going to go over any limits, particularly out of the UK.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

colyboy

Just get the 4K. The non-4K is supposedly not the dog it used to be, but who cares, you don't save enough cash for it to be worth getting the lower spec model.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Thanks again for replies . Don’t know the make of TV ,it’s been supplied by Carthago Malibou coach built. Will contact supplier and come back to you all.

Colyboy u

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Hi Colyboy, am I glad you posted this as I must be same as you on teck stuff or probably anything. As someone has suggested, I’ll probably stick with sat dish. On a different note, I’m about to go down the lithium route and to say it’s confusing is an understatement, reading one recent thread it’s almost like reading a script for Line of Duty.:Eeek:
Ray

Deleted User
I know, but the question was

And that is as simple as you can get.

Truthfully for non techie people Sat TV does still present the easiest option in many cases
Thanks for this 👍 but I picked up on the word 'think' and in the past I 'thought' I could do the same but after faffing around with Google Chromecast and an iPad we gave up and went Firestick. 🌝. You can get good UK TV reception with a simple antenna but a Firestick covers all of Europe if you can get a data signal.

Deleted User

colyboy
I may not be far from you so if you want some help or advice PM me and we could meet somewhere convenient.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thanks for this 👍 but I picked up on the word 'think' and in the past I 'thought' I could do the same but after faffing around with Google Chromecast and an iPad we gave up and went Firestick. 🌝. You can get good UK TV reception with a simple antenna but a Firestick covers all of Europe if you can get a data signal.
Chromecast and Apple is hopeless

Simply use one of these
1620831544812.png

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Eddievanbitz.
Thanks Eddie. Just been given one those connectors . Now what do i do with it?

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Chromecast and Apple is hopeless

Simply use one of these View attachment 495878
Some apps, like the sky and virgin tv apps block the hdmi output when playing their content, so,that lead is fine to mirror you iPad screen on tv but won’t work with all apps.....not sure about eurosports dedicated app tho.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Some apps, like the sky and virgin tv apps block the hdmi output when playing their content, so,that lead is fine to mirror you iPad screen on tv but won’t work with all apps.....not sure about eurosports dedicated app tho.
That’s why I didn’t recommend them , this was certainly the case a few years ago but I haven’t tried it lately . Not sure if still blocks it

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive

colyboy
If you do decide to go fire stick, just pay the extra and get the 4K one, it has more memory, a faster processor and a better WiFi antenna in it and it will work with any tv with an hdmi port regardless

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
That’s why I didn’t recommend them , this was certainly the case a few years ago but I haven’t tried it lately . Not sure if still blocks it
I know the virgin app blocks hdmi output still, but I don’t have sky anymore, a quick google came back with this dated February 2021.
D57D73D9-3D50-400A-93BD-11D41A19223C.jpeg

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Eddievanbitz.
Thanks Eddie. Just been given one those connectors . Now what do i do with it?
Plug it in the iPad and connect a TV using a HDMI lead.

You'll definitely get news and Corrie, not entirely sure about Eurosport depending on what platform you normally use to get it, but give it a go (y)

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
We mulled over this for a while and decided to buy the cheapest biggest laptop we could find and just watch via Sky Go via a 4G mifi dongle (EE Data sim £16 per month for 100GB) without the faff of mirroring to the tv etc. Also means the laptop screen is closer to us than the tv would be and therefore becomes easier to watch. Granted our tv is above the drivers/passenger seats and drops down, and where we sit you’d need a pair of bino’s to watch anything, so that’s what made our mind up! 😀

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
My sport is v important to me ( cricket mainly ) and my wife likes dramas and strictly so we have a self seeking sat dish ( sky q enabled ) , sky Q box ,sky go on the iPad , i also have MaxView Roam fitted to stream via either fire stick or Now TV , its a brave modern world and i love tech , did i forget to mention Bose surround audio system in the van ? 🤣
I have to say the MaxView Roam is a great piece of kit .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You won't get tv reception out of the uk without satellite. You will be streaming programmes using the mifi and depending on what tv you have you either use the tv direct if it's a smart tv to access the various channels on demand apps or you plug in a firestick to the tv and load the channel apps onto that. If you are a total technophobe it's best to get someone round to show/help you. I sorted on demand tv out for my mum recently it only stuck after being shown.
We use an basic cheap tv with a fire stick..Get all channels plus you tube,Netflix,Amazon etc with no bother using phone for data.Used it all over Spain Portugal and France last year and this.BUSBY.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
If you do decide to go fire stick, just pay the extra and get the 4K one, it has more memory, a faster processor and a better WiFi antenna in it and it will work with any tv with an hdmi port regardless
For the hardware; current Firestick range only differs in the RAM the 4K version has. 1.5GB v 1Gb

There are software option differences needed to support 4K 😜🤔

Older HD Firestick were hardware & software limited v the 4K version.
But only frugality would mean going the HD route instead of 4K

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back