Help——Gross weight plate & PLG on V5 (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
cI Cipro
Hi

Recently left a deposit on a motorhome, when viewing it we pointed out to the dealers that the outer weight plate stated 3800kg, however the dealers then took out the V5C and there’s no weight stated on there and it states PLG on it, and that probably been downplated by previous owner.

Now I was hoping this was the case but after contacting Sv tech they have no records of them dealing with this motorhome. They also stated without a plate showing 3500kg been present i shouldn’t be driving it.

I then spoke to DVLA who said they have no records of previous downplates or any weight ever been registered for this motorhome.

Big question is can I drive this with my B license (no C1 entitlement) or what would you suggest I do?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The weight plate often states a higher weight than it has been registered at. PLG applies to vehicles 3500kg and under looks like someone has made a cock up on registration.

First thing to check is the Certificate of Conformity that should have the weight it left the factory at and if it has the MAM at 3500kg it should be easy to get the V5 amended and you would be OK to drive.

I would get the dealer to get it weighed both MAM (gross weight) and individual axle weights and you need to know exact state of the vehicle when weighed i.e. amount of fuel, water, gas in the vehicle and any people in the vehicle. From that you should be able to work out if it is useable at 3500kg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
cI Cipro
Thanks everyone currently in touch with the dealer asking to double check all the docs and if there an updated plate anywhere that we’ve not spotted on viewing day.

Why would it say PLG though if it’s over 3500kg ? It’s a 18 year old motorhome with 3 previous owners, nobody spotted this dusting all this time ??

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks everyone currently in touch with the dealer asking to double check all the docs and if there an updated plate anywhere that we’ve not spotted on viewing day.

Why would it say PLG though if it’s over 3500kg ? It’s a 18 year old motorhome with 3 previous owners, nobody spotted this dusting all this time ??
Might not have certificate of Conformity as that was about the time they were introduced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
PLG is only the VED taxation class and that would indicate it meant to be under 3500kg..
Seem's all a bit of a mess... Needs sorting.
As Lenny states i would be getting it weighed and see what it is empty, at 3500kg it may not be usable (legally).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
cI Cipro
Might not have certificate of Conformity as that was about the time they were introduced.
Mmm, thanks for that

My main point here is how can it not states any weight in the V5C and been registered under PLG but the external plate be 3800kg?

If really is/should be 3800kg all previous owners were/if without C1 potentially driving it illegally or paying a lot more tax than they should?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
cI Cipro
PLG is only the VED taxation class and that would indicate it meant to be under 3500kg..
Seem's all a bit of a mess... Needs sorting.
As Lenny states i would be getting it weighed and see what it is empty, at 3500kg it may not be usable (legally).
Legally can I drive it or not though as it’s current is from the dealers (B license holder no C1 entitlement)?

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Legally can I drive it or not though as it’s current is from the dealers (B license holder no C1 entitlement)?
Cant answer that one...
If it was me i would be needing to see some proof that it was at some point downplated to 3500kg.
Plus as Lenny stated, get it weighed and see what it is empty...
It could be so close on weight that yes you can drive it but not carry any passengers !!

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Hi

Recently left a deposit on a motorhome, when viewing it we pointed out to the dealers that the outer weight plate stated 3800kg, however the dealers then took out the V5C and there’s no weight stated on there and it states PLG on it, and that probably been downplated by previous owner.

Now I was hoping this was the case but after contacting Sv tech they have no records of them dealing with this motorhome. They also stated without a plate showing 3500kg been present i shouldn’t be driving it.

I then spoke to DVLA who said they have no records of previous downplates or any weight ever been registered for this motorhome.

Big question is can I drive this with my B license (no C1 entitlement) or what would you suggest I do?

When you say ‘outer weight plate’ is that the 1st plate from the base vehicle manufacturer or the 2nd from the converter?

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

Can you look it up on the DVLA mot and tax check site?

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes it doesn’t give any weight info - Revenue weight Not available

If the DVLA did not record any 'Revenue weight' on the V5C how did they determine the Tax Class.

It sounds as though it is a cock-up by DVLA, possibly assisted by whoever gave DVLA the registration information in the first place.

The dealer is also at fault for not checking the legal status of what they are offering for sale.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2017
Buckinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
Hi

If your full licence was issued prior to January 1997 you would of had this entitlement and gives you up to 7.5 tons total (max weight) without taking a C1 test. On this basis do you meet this criteria?
Regarding the weights. Is there a Vin plate that is located on the slam plate of the bonnet? It will give you the max weights. For example, my 2023 pvc shows front axle (1) as 1850kg , rear axle (2) as 2000kg. These are the vehicles max design weight and must NOT be exceeded. However it is registered as 3500kg on V5.
As an articulated truck driver daily pulling 39000kg to 43500kg I'm pretty good with Mam and train weights etc. Once you reach 70 years old you will need to complete a D4 medical form to renew over 3500kg. As it's not for an occupational licence, you can complete it yourself without a medical unlike me which i do every 5 years. Oh and the ved is cheaper once registered as a private heavy goods vehicle...

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If its taxed PLG then DVLA have it recorded as below 3500kg which is what they will base drivers licence requirement on , I would therefore say you would be legal to drive it on B licence , make sure its current gvm is not above that ( weigh it) or you would be liable to overloading . When you have it home sort it out with DVLA then . Do you want it if it is over3500 plate as payload for 3500mam might be minimal and not FFP .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
cI Cipro
If the DVLA did not record any 'Revenue weight' on the V5C how did they determine the Tax Class.

It sounds as though it is a cock-up by DVLA, possibly assisted by whoever gave DVLA the registration information in the first place.

The dealer is also at fault for not checking the legal status of what they are offering for sale.
On most Motorhomes below 3500kg DVLA don’t hold records for gross weight as it ^Shouid ^ mean it’s below that and so PLG and tax paid accordingly

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
cI Cipro
If your full licence was issued prior to January 1997 you would of had this entitlement and gives you up to 7.5 tons total (max weight) without taking a C1 test. On this basis do you meet this criteria?
Regarding the weights. Is there a Vin plate that is located on the slam plate of the bonnet? It will give you the max weights. For example, my 2023 pvc shows front axle (1) as 1850kg , rear axle (2) as 2000kg. These are the vehicles max design weight and must NOT be exceeded. However it is registered as 3500kg on V5.
As an articulated truck driver daily pulling 39000kg to 43500kg I'm pretty good with Mam and train weights etc. Once you reach 70 years old you will need to complete a D4 medical form to renew over 3500kg. As it's not for an occupational licence, you can complete it yourself without a medical unlike me which i do every 5 years. Oh and the ved is cheaper once registered as a private heavy goods vehicle...
Unfortunately not I passed my test after 1997 and don’t have a C1 entitlement hence why triple checking everything 🥹

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
cI Cipro
Strange. If I search our vehicles it shows if they're taxed and if you scroll down one of the categories is revenue weight
The info are all there, MOT, Tax etc but under revenue weight it states - not available. Most motorhomes under 3500kg that I’ve checked (including my previous one) was exactly the same

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
IIRC Below 3500kg Revenue weight is not a factor above taxation is dependent on GVM unless PHG
See v149/1 for over3500 V149 for under

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
DVLA are a waste of space.
I had a Suzuki SJ410 'jeep' with a 997cc petrol engine.
It had a kerb weight of 970kg but a recorded gross weight of 3500kg.
From memory the train weight was 5000kg.
The fact it had a low powered, none turbo 997cc petrol engine should have been ringing bells.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Until proven otherwise, it's a 3800kg vehicle.
As that is what is states on the visible plate.

As others have said above the base vehicle was supplied by Mercedes was 3500kg, but they are built to be 4100kg without modification.
Burstner then did the conversion and correctly put the 3800kg plate on the vehicle.

What happened after that is anyone's guess, but the vehicle 'should' be registered by the DVLA as 3800kg, which means you can not legally drive it.

Whether it is practical to get it down plated will depend on the base weight of the vehicle, remembering you will need about 400KG for 'stuff' for two people

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2017
Buckinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
DVLA are a waste of space.
I had a Suzuki SJ410 'jeep' with a 997cc petrol engine.
It had a kerb weight of 970kg but a recorded gross weight of 3500kg.
From memory the train weight was 5000kg.
The fact it had a low powered, none turbo 997cc petrol engine should have been ringing bells.
They used to be renowned for tipping over back in the day..

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
We bought a 2004 Burstner A747 5t tag axle in 2006 private sale.
This vehicle was registered new by Discover Leisure in Hern Bay as a 3500kg vehicle and taxed as a PLG.

The A747 Burstner is 100% a 5000kg PHG vehicle so how did Discover make that mistake or was it done deliberate so the first owner being naive thought he could drive it on a car licence.

Tbh, for the first few years, being naive myself (yeah right) I left it as a PLG because at the time the road tax was actually cheaper than PHG.

Obviously, when I realised the mistake (which just happened to coincide with the road tax eventually being more for a PLG than the PHG, I contacted the then local DVLA office and made them aware of this terrible mistake.

The Burstner was taken to the local DVLA office at Preston, inspected then plated at 5000kg.

I have had a Class 1 licence since 1994 so the weight increase was ok with me.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
For example, my 2023 pvc shows front axle (1) as 1850kg , rear axle (2) as 2000kg. These are the vehicles max design weight and must NOT be exceeded. However it is registered as 3500kg on V5.
That statement is incorrect because if that was the case then all Fiats Ducatos out of the factory and then onto convertors can't be up plated. VWE and SV tech would then be out of work. My van started it's life as a PLG and now its a PHG. Lower tax happy days.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
cI Cipro
Anyone knows what’s the cost involved to downplating using either Sv Tech & VWE and also how long will the process take roughly? Do I have to wait for the new update V5 to arrived before being able to drive it?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2017
Buckinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
That statement is incorrect because if that was the case then all Fiats Ducatos out of the factory and then onto convertors can't be up plated. VWE and SV tech would then be out of work. My van started it's life as a PLG and now its a PHG. Lower tax happy days.
Sorry mate but I'm referring to my own vehicle. Obviously Fiat and most other Commercial Vehicle manufacturer's, can be specified with different chassis at the point of order. Clearly if they didn't everything would be the same....
My Ducato is on a lightweight Chassis. You can specify the heavy duty with different leaf springs and shock absorbers. Some even use Alko Chassis. Look it up if you think I'm incorrect.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2017
Buckinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
Anyone knows what’s the cost involved to downplating using either Sv Tech & VWE and also how long will the process take roughly? Do I have to wait for the new update V5 to arrived before being able to drive it?

Thanks
Just do it yourself. It's a paper exercise. Up plating is the same but you may require an engineer report if asked.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back