Hello from a Motorhome WannaB! (1 Viewer)

Jude on Wheels

Free Member
Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi everyone

My names Jude, and me and my husband have recently decided that we want to buy a motorhome so that we can make the most of our retirement years. Initially we're hoping to explore Wales, having moved here 4 years ago but never had the time to do more than get to know our local area - Pembrokeshire. Once we've done that, hopefully the world will be our lobster!! lol

So, having got the intro out of the way, I'm wondering if anyone can give me the heads up on which M/Hs have the following:

Rear bathroom with decent sized shower

Fixed double bed

2 single beds.

Budget - up to £50k

I'm sure I will have lots of questions before we finally make such a big purchase, but figured asking for advice from those in the know was the best place to start.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi everyone

My names Jude, and me and my husband have recently decided that we want to buy a motorhome so that we can make the most of our retirement years. Initially we're hoping to explore Wales, having moved here 4 years ago but never had the time to do more than get to know our local area - Pembrokeshire. Once we've done that, hopefully the world will be our lobster!! lol

So, having got the intro out of the way, I'm wondering if anyone can give me the heads up on which M/Hs have the following:

Rear bathroom with decent sized shower

Fixed double bed

2 single beds.

Budget - up to £50k

I'm sure I will have lots of questions before we finally make such a big purchase, but figured asking for advice from those in the know was the best place to start.
Hi and :welcome3: !!

Sounds as though you're planning quite an adventure.

From your list of requirements are you seeking a fixed double bed AND two singles? Or one or the other?

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice.

A key question to consider is 'how big' is the van going to be?

Large obviously means more living space; and more compact means more manoeuvrability and easier parking. Need to think carefully how you intend to use the van.

Weight is another key consideration - up to 3,500kg; or over 3,500kg? You may well have suitable driving licences for a heavier van, but important to know the implication of both options from the outset. Some find it difficult to get sufficient payload if plated at 3,500kg.

I know you didn't ask about the above, but important to think about when considering spending £50k.

Good luck with your search! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Welcome and you have had good advice so far.

If you want both a double bed and two singles so that both can be made up all the time (we hate sleeping bags and making and unmaking beds every day) then you probably need an A Class motorhome with a drop down double in the front, which will usually be about 5ft wide. Then you can have two low level singles in the middle of the motorhome with your toilet and shower at the rear with room to change. Or two high level singles at the rear above a nice big garage with your toilet and shower between the beds and the kitchen and again with room to change in between.

The A class means you will need a European rather than UK converted motorhome. Just about all of the European makes have A classes with drop down double with high level rear single beds, so you will be spoilt for choice. Fewer will have the low level beds in the middle with the rear shower and toilet, so they will be abit more difficult to find.

Popular makers within your price range for second hand motorhomes include Hymer, Rapido, Carthago, Dethleff, Knauss, Pilote, Adria and Laika. And I am sure others can add a few more that I have forgotten.

You may find some models of C classes that have the twin rear singles and an electric drop down double bed, but that bed may be a bit narrower.

BUT above all, look at the real payload you have got. If you are travelling with 4 adults (assuming you want to use all of the beds) you will need at least 700kg IMHO. That will mean you must go for a motorhome above 3500kg to make it work in practice. Do your own research on this and insist that dealer gets it weighed on a weighbridge before committing. If they refuse, just walk away, because it means they know it is not adequate. The makers brochures and what the dealer tells you are not to be trusted when it comes to payload.

Good luck with your research and do not rush it. Get round to as many dealers as you can and if you find something you think you like spend a lot of time testing it in real use, so lay on the beds, drop the bed down, sit on the toilet, pretend to use the basin and kitchen, sit in the lounge seats for a while, turn around the cab seats, etc etc. If the dealer will not let you alone to do this for an hour or two, again walk away as they do not understand what they are selling

Finally, as a non-subscriber you are only allowed 5 posts on this forum, although you can continue to read nearly all of the threads here. I would suggest that you invest in a subscription so you can ask lots of advice. It is the best £15 I spend each year on my motorhome.

Last edited:

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
:WelcomeFlag: Welcome to the fun.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I would welcome you abroad, but you're going to Wales .... :LOL: :LOL:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
il_794xN.1833392531_phec.jpg

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. ?

Wyn

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from West Kent.

Spend lots of time looking and it will pay off. Don’t rush into things they don’t sell quick at this time of year. My dealer just knocked £4K off for customer it was raining and he has not sold a van for 2 weeks. Good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back