Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg
Arrived in Andorra at 2225 last night. Found Camping Casal. cream crackered. Posting one picture taken early this morning.

Good morning Andorra

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg
Helen Update

Flew down from Gatwick to Blagnac on Friday morning (08/07/2016), good short flight with easyjet. Dennis waiting for me and lugged by carry on and hold baggage to his car (Dennis lugged one of them) containing many spares. Arrived at Dennis and Sarah's and set about some prep for the drive down to Andorra before being summoned to lunch.

My tyre changing kit had arrived but I elected not to do the tyre changes now as Dennis was anxious to set course for Andorra. I removed all the items I would not need. Took a selection of tools for just in case and loaded Dennis and Lawrence. We set off about 1630, the plan to use the autoroute as much as possible to keep my gear changing to a minimum. The special tool I had ordered from the states had not arrived before I left and I decided I would continue with the existing bodge. I had anticipated that my "companions" would have done the necessary shopping before I arrived, wrong, only a few minutes after leaving Frontignan Savès it was necessary for me to stop at Carrefour, L'Isle Jourdain, to allow Dennis and Lawrence to "pop in" and get a few bits. I waited patiently outside anticipating their imminent return, they finally reappeared an HOUR later!!

So now around 1730 I joined the N124 towards Toulouse but the impetous was lost and I was able to sit in the several long queues of rush hour traffic. Have our French cousins not heard of POETS day. Still once clear of the peripherque I settled down to a steady plod with occasional peaks of 80 kph. I pressed on (ignoring remarks stating the blindingly obvious - perhaps I am finally acquiring a level of diplomacy or perhaps I just want a quiet life). After Foix it became the N20 and stayed that until Andorra where it became the CG2. Good dual carriageway until a little before Aix Les Thermes, fortunately by this time traffic was light and I was able to enter the roundabouts in the appropriate gear. Then the climb to Andorra began - with bends, a lot of it in second! I was pleased to enter the tunnel and actually get into 4th for a while. The 11.60€ toll was well worth it. Then began the descent, mainly in 3rd, it was getting dark and I had had enough for one day (I had looked at a camping municipal before leaving France but that did not work). The descent went on and on eventually I entered Canillo and approaching a roundabout saw on the left, I think, Camping Casal. I could see camping cars in there and that was it. I announced to my companions that I had had enough and was stopping there, did a twirl at the roundabout and in we went. See previous entry.

July 9

After a good sleep it was breakfast, clear up and travel to the Col Bexailis. After entering Encap we drove through the town and started the climb to the top. I am unable to recommend this road to anyone unless they have a powerful automatic. I did not have either and Helen made a good start and was doing well in 2nd, despite meeting one moron who had to overtake a bike instead of giving way, still he was the only moron, there were of course a lot, and I mean a lot, of cyclists riding up the hill to cover the route being followed next day and just after rounding a bend with what looked like a pub on the corner I found one and had to stop. It was basically first gear to the top after that.

The top was a bit of a surprise we had not been able to carry out a recce this year and on arrival found the top to be quite small, there being a small lay by which was already occupied by a mixture of camping cars ranging from VWs to Dethcleffs. There was a muddy track on the other side which is where we ended up. Camp was set up and we spent some time chatting to and supplying water to passing cyclists. We spoke to a number of people from the UK. This included a gentle man with a black BMW of very high spec, he had his bike in the back which was according to visiting experts worth one hell of a lot of money. We chatted and either Dennins or Lawrence said that we had got through a lot of our small stock of beer. The gentleman said that if he could park his bike next to us next day he would pop down to the village and bring some more up for us. I pointed out that it was possible we would not be there next day because - I forgot to mention - an Andorran gendarme had said that it would not be possible for us to be there next day (or all the others for reasons of security). The French and Spanish contingents informed us that that was rubbish and nobody was moving. (see July 10 next posting, I will send this first before that.). We settled down and the BMW man disappeared, we did not expect him to return and it was some time before he did. He came bag with a couple of packs of San Miguel and I gave him 10€ for his trouble. He was a well placed gentleman with no Aires and graces.
After a period of drinking and bull*******g sleep followed.

Don't miss the next gripping installment.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good morning from Condom

sorry about the delay but the Internet at Sarah and Dennis's was really to slow to post, so picking up from where I left off :

Sunday 9 July

Sunday began unexpectedly early, just after 3am, it had been warm so we had slept with the door open. We were awoken by the sounds of a large lorry and loud voices. Part of the tour support team had arrived to leave a drawbar trailer containing the gantry for the Col plus all the barriers etc and they wanted M. Champignon to move his camper so they could put it where he was. M. Champignon was not over the moon about this, even less his wife, you had to hear it to believe the speed of delivery of speech this woman is capable of. We elected to plead dead and keep out of it. If asked to move we would indicate the bucket full of empties and I was the only driver and not fit to drive! Pleased to say we were not approached. The ranting and raving continued with the added attraction of the large Spanish lady taking part. It was difficult enough following Madame but with the Espagnol complication (I only know Ola) it was very difficult to keep up.
Eventually M. Champingon moved his Dethcleffs in front of us while the lorry driver with great skill manoeuvred the trailer into the spot. M. Champignon put his camper alongside the crew disappeared to the sound of abuse and quiet returned. This all lasted about an hour.

After sleep and breakfast we saw that two Andorran policemen had arrived with their vehicle opposite and were preventing all traffic going beyond the Col and turning everything except cyclists back and these were forced to dismount and walk - the gentlemen carry sidearms so nobody was going to argue.

I elected to roll the awning in and set everything back as far as I could just in case. Quite late the errection crew arrived and set everything up and it was decided it was safe to roll the awning back out. A very pleasant day was passed with many of our friends from the previous day returning, including the BMW gentleman. We watched the tour passing through being able to keep up with it on my tv in Helen - this included the team members with the refreshments for the riders - I was rewarded with a Tinkoff bidon, very happy about that. All to soon the final vehicle passed and everyone dispersed. We packed up and set off to join the "yellow road" going down the opposite way to coming up, to my surprise this was no easier going down than the way I came up. Helen's replacement will preferably be a B644, automatic, airconditioned, cruise control, electric awning etc. Needed Helen to work out what I want for retirement - now I know.

Reaching Encamp I pulled into a garage to fill up, about 89 cents a litre and put in about half a tank 34 litres. Off to the Casal campsite and settled down for a meal prepared by Lawrence before he and Dennis went to the club room to watch some sort of game called football. The thunderstorm had already started the wifi went and I was cream crackered went to bed and was out like a light.

July 10

Up reasonably early had not heard the other two return the night before, apparently they came back before the game was over feeling very tired and did not know the result until they watched the news on my television this morning - they expressed surprise at the result.

Packed up and returned to Frontignan pausing at Soldeu. Lawrence has a cocktail obsession and had indicated if we saw somewhere on the way he would like to stop in the interests of alcohol abuse. As always he spotted somewhere when it was to late so I continued to the next roundabout and came back down the hill and into the car park which resembled a camping car reunion. It was here I could make my selection of replacement. Foolishly I allowed my two companions to go to the shop unsupervised so I ended up having plenty of time to inspect the collection and move Helen twice to end up in pole position for the start back up the hill to the tunnel.

The scenery is beautiful and I will return another time when not under pressure of time to enjoy it all.

En route Dennis's, Lawrence called Alison to see if she had picked up ice cubes for him to prepare "cocktails" that evening. Her answer was NO, so another enforced halt at L'Isle Jourdain. How it can take so long to buy just ice I have no idea.

Finally back to Dennis's and the driver gets a rest.

The 11th to 14th are not relevant just boring what I did - including the 13 kilometre Agassac walk on Bastille day with great meal and company. I slept well to wake to the atrocity in Nice.

July 15

I was required to stay for lunch (Sarah's manner made it clear that this was a thinly veiled invitation). The daughter of mutual friends was coming.
After lunch I set off for Condom, decided to go the pretty route towards Auch which was great apart from a few clinically insane Spanish artic drivers hauling grain and the way I avoided the town centre at Auch. I ended up going toward Tarbes a lot longer than I intended before turning North again and arriving at Condom. A visit to Lidl on the way in then into Carrefour for salad and bits, fuel top up and into the campsite.

I am pleased to recommend the campsite. Good level pitches, wifi, facilities and good pricing despite high season.

July 16

Well just finishing this entry then I am washing up and out of here to see the Dune du Pilat where I will either overnight before going to Guitres tomorrow or maybe go towards there after the dune. I will attempt to add one picture now showing the tour.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Saturday 16 July update

It is a little after 1pm and I am sitting under the awning beside Helen at Condom. Having packed everything away, done my check of fluids etc, I hopped in to go chimique area when I found that I had no pressure on the clutch. Tried a few pumps and achieved nothing. I have begun to listen to the female form now and think Helen is trying to tell me something. It was approaching midday and I elected to stay another night, can't be bothered to rush around and anyway I have a spare slave cylinder, master cylinder and mobile workshop with me so I might as well put on my virginal overalls when I am in the mood and change them. Job will be done then and no more of that rubbish. I may stay another night in addition as I might as well have a look at the place now I am here.

Because of the change to plan Q I have taken the opportunity to upload a couple of pictures of Helen at the tour and next to the alcohol stop in Andorra. They are not in chronological order I am afraid and I apologise for not posting the earlier picture full size. I am a miserable old clod of earth with grass growing out of it and prefer not to have to enlarge thumbnails. (Miserable old **d)

Oops tried to change something with edit and you can see the result - sorry

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely blog , Helen has been great but makes you realise her daughter will be a more comfortable deal!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Dimanche le 17 Juillet

Well plan A was to change the slave and master cylinders on the clutch this morning before it got too warm. I expected to have problems with the bolts securing the slave cylinder to the bell housing. I was pleasantly surprised when these yielded without great effort. Sadly the same was not true of the hose connection which resolutely refused to budge. Accessable only with an open end 14mm spanner I had no wish to round the corners.

I decided I need one of those ring spanners with the arc missing so I could slip it over the hose and then onto the nut permitting reduced damage risk. Of course today is Sunday so gave up on getting one today and will go into town early tomorrow and see if I can get one.

If that does not work for whatever reason then it will be plan 24b subsection 3 as amended, I had seen a small engineers vice for sale in Lidl Friday and I could hack though the hose (to be joined with short length of brake tube and jubilee clips afterward pending replacement hose) clamp the hose nut in the vice and turn the body of the slave cylinder around it. That decided I cleared everything away again and took tea, got the bike off the back and set about fitting a new front basket and a pair of panniers.

I had seen there was a vide grenier up the Allé Charles De Gaulle ce matin and decided I would go there. On the way I was able to film a lock being operated and take photos of the mill. At the vide grenier I kept eyes open for the necessary spanner to no avail BUT I did buy a small table vice for only 2€ which should do the trick tomorrow - I will be off to Weldom early!

Back to Helen to finish of last nights pizza for lunch and watch the tour while odd jobbing.

sorry the photos are in reverse order, one day I will learn (don't hold your breath)

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Clive, you've got a great thread going. Looking forward to hearing your next update.

@Cleve

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Loving the photos and the campsite looks lovely ! Good luck with shopping will they be open Monday? we found a lot shut on Monday too!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Another option is take the slave (with hose attached) with you when hunting for a spanner. You might just see a suitable hose (or a garage with a vice & spanners).

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Lundi le 18 Juillet

Good afternoon, this morning I was up just after 7am (local), took breakfast (simple) shaved and did teeth and set off to find Weldom which opened at 8. This of course being on foot. I walked through where the vide grenier had been yesterday and up the hill beyond. A road sign enouragingly indicated Intermarché and Weldom. Found Intermarché but no, no Weldom. I carried on to the top of the hill, still no Weldom but a large John Deere franchise. Merde.
Did a twirl and made my way back towards Helen, decided to give bricomarché a look up by Lidl on the way back. Bought a grey waste tap to replace my faulty one, sadly I picked up the female not the male so up there again tomorrow. Continued back to Helen though noted a possibly useful agricultural parts place adjacent and made mental note. Being Monday they don't open until 1430 and at a little after 9 it was getting warm. Decided to play safe and on my way back in booked another nights stay.

I must have walked somewhere between 6 and 8 kilometres. Took coffee and chatted to my neighbour Leo (Dutch), he said if I needed a hand he would be happy to help, I suggested I might need someone to operate the clutch pedal later.

Decided I would change the master cylinder while I was in the mood. Removed the split pin on the pedal link and removed the pivot pin, I had already slackened the pipe nut. Back to the front detached the hose having drained some mililitres of brake fluid first. Detached clutch pipe and offered it up to the new master cylinder - bingo - wrong size, new one it larger diameter thread. encore de la merde. Refitted that which I had unfitted and return pin and split pin to clutch pedal.

Coffee

Decided to trace hose from slave cylinder and see if I could detach further up. Pleased to say a positive result so having ascertained I could actually release the hose there I returned to the slave cylinder and undid the top bolt, while the cylinder continued to drip into the drip tray. On starting the lower bolt I was a little surprised when the cylinder fell off and I found that the lower body fixing had been broken for many years and the bits fell into the drip tray. I may take photos. I am hoping the release arm is not damaged.
With this done I released the hose and set about trying to remove it from the slave cylinder. Leo wandered over and offered to help. We did not get anywhere. I told him about the place I found this morning and he told me of another nearby. I thanked him and went for a shower.
On the way back Leo said that after lunch - it was about 1315 now, he would drive me to the place and if that did not work to the one I found. I protested weakly and accepted before he could change his mind.

Leo came over and we went to the first place. The gentlemen did everything he could but no good. Up to my place and I have now discovered that a hose is "une flexible". Went into the hose department where they make hoses for all sorts of agricultural and civil engineering equipment to be told they could not make mine because it was a brake hose. Arghhhhhh, Leo who has excellent French asked if it was possible for them to release my mature hose from the old slave cylinder which they did in moments and refusing any compensation. Then to both of our surprise they suggested we tried next door for the hose! All the same business just a different department.
Went next door, waited for attention and finally our man behind the counter said he would try and get one and would telephone this afternoon or tomorrow morning - of course I did not have my phone and I have not a clue my number so Leo gave him his and if they call after he has moved tomorrow he will call me.

That is it for now. I am sitting outside under the awning, the tv is propped up in the open kitchen window, I am drinking beer and watching the Tour de France.

À bientôt mes amis!

Oh, I am not refitting the old hose until I know for sure I don't have a new hose.
Pictures later beer permitting.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg
Mardi Le 19 Juillet

Hello all, it is a good news day, and I had better pen this before I consume any more Rosé du Gard courtesy of Gemozac Lidl. I had loosened up with a couple of 1664s and some iced tea pêche flavour first!

Yes, a good day, up at 7am local, muesli, tea, orange and into overalls to get on with it. Decided to refit the old hose instead of waiting about on the off chance the new one would appear. Attached hose to cylinder this being the easiest option. This was followed by it taking an inordinately long time to get the top bolt to take - I will leave you to imagine the expletives but they brought new meaning to coarse. Finally done, hose connected and fluid added.

Leo said he would come over and push the pedal after he had taken breakfast. I took the opportunity to clear stuff away and made a cup of tea.

Leo came over system bled and result. I seemed to have a clutch again.

Finished clearing up. Did the washing up, chucked the rubbish away and had a lovely shower (thinks after my hot drive I might have another while I can still stand up).

This all done, awning rolled up, electric disconnected I set sail for the D930 about 1230. Nervous at first just in case it all fell apart and not using the toll roads. I am pleased to report that all went well and I am looking forward to seeing what next base dash cam made of the journey. I saw some amazing places but sadly could not stop - but as Arni said "I'll be back"

Decided to go straight to Lidl and Super U at Gemozac before going to the camping municipal at Mortagne sur Gironde. Topped up with booze, salad, booze, gazole and off to meet the lovely Jöelle. Took plot 6. Plugged in and set up. Great site and I can look across to the quay where there is a whole row of camping cars parked up in the blazing sun and you would have a job to get a fag paper between them. I think it is only of a couple of € a night more to stay here with excellent facilities, wifi etc.

Picture is of Helen backed in with the port beyond - it may be discernable, and sorry I simply could not be bothered to get the levelling blocks out. I'll lie across the bed with my head at the top.

Yippee

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely relaxing spot with a view of the harbour. Enjoy your rest until tomorrow. How kind people are when you need them! Enjoy and I hope Helen behaves tomorrow!!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Vendredi le 22 Juillet

Time to update les voyages d’Helen. I am now sitting on the ferry from Dieppe to Newhaven. Helen is down on deck 3 in the shade and I have just taken a window seat up in the cafeteria. We are on the Côte d’Albâtre, set sail a little late, the boat seemed heavily booked and there were a large number of Camping cars. There seemed a large number of long faces – I suppose it was because they were coming to the end of their holiday. I must look like the village idiot with the smile on my face and the oldest camping car on the boat. I looked to see if there were any funsters advertising their presence but did not see any.

Meanwhile back at the ranch ….

As you know I spent a lovely couple of nights at Mortagne sur Gironde. As I said earlier, the Camping Municipal is quite excellent. I elected to spend two nights there and travel on Thursday. A good decision, I pottered around doing odd bits, watched the tour during the afternoon and enjoyed a really relaxed bit of ME time. Cleared everything up on Wednesday evening to facilitate an expeditious departure Thursday morning. I took the opportunity to fill a black sack with rubbish and dumped it in the poubelle at the entrance (along with the odd empty).

Thursday 21 Juillet

Up relatively early, usual bits and pieces before setting off about 0915. As I had experienced the Garmin departure back in May I elected to ignore Doris for the initial segment and route the way I knew to be suitable. I am not entirely sure what she was intending to avoid but it is in here imagination and having done the other route I know when I am well off.
Very pleased with the clutch pity the tick over is not right but that will be sorted, as a result I elected to use the autoroutes for my trip up to the camping municipal at Offranville, my planned night stop before catching this ferry. Cost me a lot more in euros but Helen was able to relax in top gear with the only times out of that being at the péages or one hill where I had to take 3rd. She had surprised me with her constant 76kph so I was never catching anything up and constantly flashing the HGVs so they could pull in. In the main a polite bunch the usual exceptions but they could have been looking elsewhere when I flashed. Somewhere short of Rouen I saw one of EWALS on its side on the opposite carriageway, it must have happened moments before I passed it as a couple of trucks had stopped either side and a car pushing stuff into the offside lane. A few kilometres further I saw the gendarmerie on their way. The number of these drivers I had seen chatting on their phones, CBs or rolling fags at the wheel I cannot say I was surprised.

Rouen

For many years I have been telling myself to avoid this place like the plague, looked around it and thought no, it is not worth the extra distance. Well I now give up. Yesterday it turned a slow journey into something else. Like Paris, Rouen no longer features in my driving plans, the chaos generated by the roadworks on the A150 has finished it with me. Also the huge number of Frenchmen who must have exceedingly small todgers to drive the way they do, it is little wonder so many are killed each year and a bigger wonder that there are not more. Must be the fact the same population as UK is spread over four times the area. France is still my favourite country and where I will retire Brexit or not.

For your driving pleasure – if you can possibly avoid Rouen then do so, it may be an extra 20 – 50 kilometres but well worth it.

Anyway, finally clear of the traffic I made progress towards Offranville, plan A fill up with diesel and buy some bread and pork. The approach to the village the way I did it is pretty but a pain in the bum. After passing under some sort of bridge I entered the pictursque town, pleased to see the Carrefour sign and as I approached the Carrefour I saw a sign suggesting the location of the campsite. I was struck by the feeling someone had parachuted a part of Surrey into France by mistake. Worse still having encountered a mature French male in his Renault with no concept of No Entry I pulled into Carrefour to find it closed (thanks Rouen) but worse to come, I manoeuvred through the carefully placed hedgerows into the very twee station service. Made it onto the pump and stuck my card in (French) picked gazole only to have my card returned – strange worked alright on the autoroute. Got out English card and it did not like that either. Magic I thought, oh well, I’ll fill up on my way to the boat in the morning. I negotiated the hedge lined, kiosk ridden chicane out and made my way to the campsite. First impressions were not brilliant but by morning I warmed to it. It was about 1930 so I had to ring the bell for a Windsor Davis look alike to come and take my money 16.40€. The most expensive of my trip where the advertised wifi was non existent and using my little wifi thing the 3G was very poor. Gave up with the tv and had an early night.

Up this morning, washing up, shower pack up and off to the port. Stopped at Auchan for fuel – no problems with the card so though I warmed to Offranville it is off the list for the future. I need a easy life after a long day and decent wifi. I am typing this on the boat to Newhaven and will upload it when I am back at Old Romney this evening.

Stopped at Lidl on the way, could not face Auchan and off to the port. Today they were being extremely thorough and it took an age to get through and board. That is it for now, there will be an update on Helen’s supervised works before she returns to France on 1 September for a short visit which will be spent in Normandie now. Just going to transfer a couple of photos to insert when I.copy an paste this from word.

Back at Old Romney now, I elected to come back via Hailsham, Battle and Rye to give the motorists on the A259 a chance. Picked up a horse box at Battle going the same way as me and beyond. So pleased the entourage had him to blame for lack of progress and not me.

Only one moron on the way back, someone should start teaching people to drive not pass a test. You have the right of way if it is not already blocked, if there is already something in the hole then you have to wait till the hole is empty driving into a blocked hole is a bad move. Enjoyed pointing to dash cam as our "brown van driver had to mount the kerb to pass me. Happy days, Helen is home for remedial treatment and looks like we can escape on 30 August instead of 1 September, I am in the simulator at Amsterdam returning on 30th with rest days leading to leave so I will jump ship at Gatwick and nip down to Newhaven and hopefully get a night crossing.

pictures are waiting to board boat and campsite at Offranville

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Your adventure has come to an end until next time! Thankyou for sharing your adventures with Helen! Look forward to the next one. We are off on Sunday and visiting Brittany this year ! Got my eye on a galette or two!!

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Just when you thought it was over it started again - yes, Helen is poised, plugged into the mains, fridge cooling and raring to go. I am in the sim at Amsterdam until Tuesday and when I get back on Tuesday the plan is to drive to Old Romney, fire her up and off to Newhaven and catch the late boat.

New clutch, brake pipes, shock absorbers, pump sorted plus much more she is just gagging for travel.

Plan A is to make it to Saint Palais Sur Mer on 31 Aug (which I managed in May with a duff clutch and an incorrectly set pump) so no sweat this time. Gear selection is no longer a visit to the four corners of the universe with the new bushes she is tight and precise - if anyone is wondering if they should fit new bushes on the Mercedes the answer is yes - you can borrow my tool (you will need to pay a refundable deposit which I will give you back on the safe return) it cost me 88 dollars to import the tool from the USA, but money well spent.

So hold onto your bra straps and pull up your drawers Helen is about to be let loose again.

Yippee

:wine:::bigsmile:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Well just caught up with your travels,trials,tribulations!!
Glad to see Helen is in much better health now.
Looking forward to the next trip for you.
Enjoy,
Baldeagle.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Well, I am pleased to say it has begun - not exactly as planned, Helen and I are on the 0900 boat to Dieppe. Sadly Easyjet back from Amsterdam was about 30 mins late at Gatwick and some road works near Alfriston on the A27 complicated matters. This meant the 2300 boat yesterday was missed by just the tiniest margin.

DFDS had no problem with me staying in the the car park provided I was gone by 0800. No problem. A good nights sleep and earlyish breakfast and I drove to the front of the check in lane. One small point to remember is that when the boat gets in around 0500 you will notice the lorry passing by!

As I drove onto the boat I cursed myself for not turning the dash cam on. Pleased to say Helen is performing much better with the pump set correctly and selecting gears is bliss. Still much to do bu no problem.

First stop will be at Auchin or Leclerc for diesel some shopping for later and then I will drive until I have had enough.

Progress report probably tomorrow though who knows. Lots of nice motorhomes on this boat I think a few of them may be a bit precious!

That is it for now. Hopefully pictures later as well

:france:

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well, hello out there. Sadly I was a little cream crackered last night so no post but here is an over view of yesterday and today!

Before I start I should point out I have no religious beliefs of any kind though I do believe in fair play, helping each other and what will be will be or in my case was meant to be (alas poor Yorik ...), on to today's ripping yarn.

As you know yesterday I caught the boat from Newhaven to Dieppe. I must say that with regards to customer service (purely my own experience you understand (other experiences are available)) I have found the DFDS personnel extremely courteous and helpful. When you turn up for a boat when you are not booked for another couple of days and they try to get you on when they are about to close the ramp I think that says a great deal. My experiences on this route this year have all been good. Anyway as you know I ended up on the 9am boat yesterday instead of the same boat today - and well pleased I am too. Did I mention that mature beings get a discount on this route which is not to be sniffed at - I have tried putting off being a "senior" for a long time but now it seems there are benefits. I have the mind and appetites of a 22 year old but sadly a more mature misshapen carcass.

Meanwhile back at the ranch the intention was to make Thouars for the yesterday evening but that did not happen. Plan B was La Flèche, an original target for back in May.
On leaving the boat at Dieppe I made my way up the hill and pulled into the convenient Carrefour at the top of the hill where I filled up and bought essential groceries - it appears that beer and Buzet come high on the list!
Leaving there I resisted the temptation to call into Lidl and started southward. This was the easiest passage of Rouen I have ever had (mind you the fact that I was not having to dance around like Fred Astaire on the pedals and a Huey pilot with the cyclic made a hell of a difference - yes Helen is now performing as she always should have). Doris the Garmin was telling me where to go and made a remarkably good job of it. (Just tried to insert a picture - failed, so they will all be at the top. First is leaving Newhaven yesterday.)(Oh no it's not then!)

Time marched on as it always does and I decided that I would either go to La Flèche or the first camping I came across. Ten minutes out from La Flèche I saw a camping sign - great I thought, turned left and then drove forever to find a campsite that did not want camping cars, merde. Meanwhile Doris is doing her best to get me back to La Flèche. I soldier on and see another site. Down some amusing lanes I arrive at the sign saying "camping" turn left, which I did to be confronted with a barrier that Helen could not possibly limbo beneath, more "merde", I know when I am beat and allowed Doris to take me by a route I could never repeat to La Flèche arriving about 2100 CET. Reversed into one of the final spots and closed down for the night. I had not eaten since breakfast (raisin wheats) and set about a ham salad with enthusiasm.

Today 1 September

Awake early, the Aire is pleasant but the traffic - camions poids lourds, start coming through about 4am and brother do you know they are there. Other than that a lovely place to stop right next to the Loire. After fiddling an farting about sorting stuff out and drinking tea I elected to walk along to the bridge and take a few pics. I will inset these now but they will be at the top with the other one! Sorry! They are in reverse order as well plus the boat one is twice and the Funster is on it's side - sorry.

Did the walk met an English or should I say British family as the lady was definately Scots. There were 3 generations in two camping cars and one was a Funster. Charming people sadly the the Mercedes was clogging its fuel filters and not performing as it should. I tried to assist with my IPad but was no real help sadly. Shortly after I left with the intention of driving to Gemozac where I would refuel and buy any essentials - like wine for instance!

I think I had what is commonly known as a "brain fart" and plumbed Saujon, avoid tolls into Doris. I did not twig until after Niort! Stopped for fuel before Saumur (I need a switch on the dash cam power feed so I can stop filming loads of nothing and catch the bits I want) and carried on, thinking well this is not the way I would have come but what the heck! The Damascus road bit arrived entering Saujon ( a place I have visited many times because of the steam train) so I started to plot my way out towards my correct target. Don't ask me how but I arrived at la gare. It was about 1430 the crew were still at lunch but the engine was simmering and photos had to be had. Sadly the engine had the sun behind her and so as I crossed to some farm land the other side of the tracks I received shouts to come back "interdit" - more merde!

I chatted to the crews and a when they realised my interests and shared member ships of various "anorak" associations I was welcomed into the fold. Special guided tour and an invitation next week I intend to keep.

What is meant to be will be!

I left the railway after the train departed and Doris took me on another ride I cannot describe, it was not a problem and the roads were good and adequate width etc but interesting all the same. I arrive at Gemozac filled up at Super U and went into the store for the necessaries - lots of English in there and when I left a Whites of Bournemouth removal van!

Arrived at Mortagne Sur Gironde camping municipal - a favourite of mine parked up, used the ramps plugged in, moved the awning to the upper rail. Opened the beer.

Joëlle has gone from blonde to brunette ( hope she goes back to blonde soon).

Don't miss the next white knuckle installment.

:france::wine::wine::france:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Happy and safe travels. Thanks for sharing and great photos .who was the funster then?!:)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Love La Fleche but we stay on the municipal site because the aire is too noisy right by the road - you're right about the trucks

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I wish I could identify the Funster. I totally failed to introduce myself or enquire who they were. We chatted naturally in that fashion we all seem to adopt when overseas, as if we had known each other forever. I believe this reinforces the fact that 99% of us are fine and can rub along well, be there for each other when the need arises. There is just that 1% of utter total oiks that spoil so much.

I believe the couple with the Mercedes and Funster badge are from the West (well he is, she is definately Scots - how awful, he, she, thank goodness my mother cannot hear me).

Tomorrow my intention is to tempt skin cancer with over exposure "sur la plage" same again Saturday then drive down to the Dune du Pilat (bucket list item missed in July due Condom problem).

À bientôt mes amis!

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
mind you the fact that I was not having to dance around like Fred Astaire on the pedals and a Huey pilot with the cyclic made a hell of a difference - yes Helen is now performing as she always should have).

Brilliant, paints a cracking image

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
And verily it came to pass that plan A begat plan B or was it F, I am blessed if I know!

Please note, your correspondent has been inbibing so any similarities with truth are purely coincidental.

Star date Friday 2 September (in what they laughingly refer to as the "common era", thank goodness I will expire before these politically correct bimbos and drongos destroy everything, come back Douglas Adams, the hairdressers and telephone sanitisers were alright you need to get these yoghurt knitting, sandal wearing, tree hugging, tweed skirted corduroy trousered numpties!)

Meanwhile back on planet zog ...

I lay in my pit listening to Steve Allen on LBC courtesy of 3 (I had fallen asleep listening to another but Steve is my favourite and I form part of his 4am spike wherever I am. He sounds a bit like me, but I will never have a Bentley as long as there is a hole in my ear! So, anyway ....

Thoughts turned to Dune du Pilat, do I go to la plage aujourd'hui ou maybe Le dune? That part of me over which I have absolutely no control elected to go to the Dune - good choice!

Now, I don't know about you but it does not seem to matter what I decide to do and when I decide to do it, I will be be leaving at 10am. I thought I would be out of here before 9 (Dream on), now despite Doris the Garmin wanting to go right I had looked at my Michelen and elected to go left and serves me right!

My intention was to catch the boat from Blaye to Lamarque at 1130 which I did but I did not count on Les Sapeurs pompiers dealing with a fire or something about 800 metres from the boat. Sitting in the "bouchon" I was blissfully unaware of this as was the gross gitanne dans son citröen who learned that I will give way for so long but if you think I am sitting here forever while you tit about you have something out.

Made the boat to my amazement and enjoyed the voyage to Lamarque, a picture or two. The drive to the dune was fantastic, I have never sat on a straight road for so long in my life (D5).

Made the Dune and went into the car park no problem parked up and took lunch. After lunch trudged up to the dune, I went up the fibre class stairs, I came back down through the sand, if you do this I recommend you go up by the stairs. A young man running down was loosing his shorts and exhibiting his bike stand to the amusement of us all (I hope his rudder was not swinging).

This is a trip I will repeat, only here for a couple of hours and I want to do a picnic like so many sitting lying and living on the dune. I felt in touch with nature and awe!

I elected to return the way I came, just missed the boat but caught the 1845 instead, met a couple of interesting chaps who live over here now and are clearly enjoying life - 18 months and it is my turn!!!!!

back at the campsite now, plugged in, and doing this. Out of here tomorrow a bit of free camping and try and get my cheeks brown.

Time to insert pictures - they may be in chronological order but don't bank on it!

This is a location I will return to - next time I am having a picnic even if I have to be on my own and I am up there a lot longer, one of those touch base moments.

I love France but I think some of their drivers must have incredibly small parts and are essentially suicidal, still I am up for living but don't bank on me for first aid, St. John's or not, where did they leave the suicide note?

Uh Oh diverging, GAME OVER - TILT

:france::wine::france::wine::france:

Last edited:

Brightonian

Free Member
Nov 27, 2015
City of Brighton & Hove
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 Years
This thread is brilliant!

Looking forward to the next update(y)

PS. Your writing style reminds me of my brother's texts and emails, he would describe things just as you do going into small details times and dates but always interesting.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Wow our daughter has done the dune twice but we never had the great description from her!
It's a place we would like to go! It is just stealthily eating up the land and gradually encroaching ! Fascinating thanks for taking the time to share.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back