Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Hi
Were wild camping in Spain so batteries charge with the sun. But it's also getting cool of a night so
Was thinking we may start using heating (gas) but just talking to some one and they say "we would need to watch the electric as the heat is pump blew round by fans. So if we have a few over cast days may run out of power.
No used the heating except for a test so any ideas is he right
Rob

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you have the ALDE wet heating then it does use a pump to send around the water.
So there will be some power use as the pump is operating, a quick look on the ALDE website seems to suggest that it uses 1amp at 12v so not a massive amount at all and its wont be running all the time once up to temperature..

In my previous Autotrail that had blown air ie a fan,, The fan used around 2amps and often i did not use it to help preseve batteries. However that was in UK use.. If your in spain you have more chance of getting better solar charging.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't say what type of heating you have but if it's a Truma Combi it's a myth that they take a lot of power.
They draw about 5-6 amps on start up with the fan running full chat, once the van is up to temp they draw less than 1 amp.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes he is ! WE have the Webasto diesel heater in our camper and it can use up to 8 Amps just to circulate the heat. Once the glow plug has ignited the fuel, it's self sustaining and uses hardly any energy but the fan is a killer. However, what we have found when we use it in the winter is that we only need to run for 20-30 minutes and the camper is as warm as toast. We then switch it off and this does us fine. Once under the duvet, no van heating required and in the morning when I get up I put the heating on again for 20-30 minutes and again the camper is warm and my other half can rise and shine.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
You don't say what type of heating you have but if it's a Truma Combi it's a myth that they take a lot of power.
They draw about 5-6 amps on start up with the fan running full chat, once the van is up to temp they draw less than 1 amp.
Yes it's a Truma system

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Myth or not we found the Truma blown air system in the Miller used a lot of battery
In the end I bought a catalytic heater as used in lorry cabs and attached it to a convenient wall ( in our case the outside of the shower )
Plumbed it in to the gas and it kept us toasty on cold nights

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use catalytic heater as well . great bits of kit.
bit like instantaneous water heaters . simple work and dont let you down.
might have a vent or slightly open a window to keep air flow.
bit like life modern things can be too complicated and arent as good as old fashioned ideas.
glad jaws is warm, bet he got a real nice heater.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
i use catalytic heater as well . great bits of kit.
bit like instantaneous water heaters . simple work and dont let you down.
might have a vent or slightly open a window to keep air flow.
bit like life modern things can be too complicated and arent as good as old fashioned ideas.
glad jaws is warm, bet he got a real nice heater.
Fraid that heater went along with the Miller.. But our Autotrail has got blown air and or a normal 'fire' too. Otherwise it would def be another catalytic jobby !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Myth or not we found the Truma blown air system in the Miller used a lot of battery
Depends on how good the insulation is in the van also the CP Plus controller controls the fan much better and you get less current draw overall.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Depends on how good the insulation is in the van also the CP Plus controller controls the fan much better and you get less current draw overall.
Weeeeellllllllllll . Whilst you are dead right the Miller was bloody good and the cat heater kept us warm even on the lowest setting..
ut every van is a bit different so I could only go on my personal experience :)

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
In the end I bought a catalytic heater as used in lorry cabs and attached it to a convenient wall ( in our case the outside of the shower )
Plumbed it in to the gas and it kept us toasty on cold nights

Do you have a link please, Jaws - I´ve been looking for a gas heater for our Rapido for the winter nights, as the Truma takes way too much power to use overnight, which us what we need.
Back in our caravanning days, our balanced flue Carver heater could be used on gas or electric or both, and with our without the fan - perfect for non hookup camping. Sadly, when Truma took them over, they discontinued this heater.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Do you have a link please, Jaws - I´ve been looking for a gas heater for our Rapido for the winter nights, as the Truma takes way too much power to use overnight, which us what we need.
Back in our caravanning days, our balanced flue Carver heater could be used on gas or electric or both, and with our without the fan - perfect for non hookup camping. Sadly, when Truma took them over, they discontinued this heater.
I got both of mine off of eBay second hand
This is the make that I had in the Miller

Just set a search on fleabay with an alert so when they come up, you will know...Paid £40 a go for mine
Set the search critea for 'catalytic' 'catalitic' and any other weird spelling you can think of :) cos it is the misspelled ones that go cheap !

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yes he is ! WE have the Webasto diesel heater in our camper and it can use up to 8 Amps just to circulate the heat. Once the glow plug has ignited the fuel, it's self sustaining and uses hardly any energy but the fan is a killer. However, what we have found when we use it in the winter is that we only need to run for 20-30 minutes and the camper is as warm as toast. We then switch it off and this does us fine. Once under the duvet, no van heating required and in the morning when I get up I put the heating on again for 20-30 minutes and again the camper is warm and my other half can rise and shine.
What about keeping warm from getting in the van at say 6.0pm and going to bed,,that would be 6 hours for us.BUSBY?

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Just had my Alde fluid changed. The engineer states once up to temp the 3020 uses .80 amp. Toasty!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
What about keeping warm from getting in the van at say 6.0pm and going to bed,,that would be 6 hours for us.BUSBY?
I think it's all dependant on how good, or poor your motorhome insulation is. Autotrails have fairly good insulation and we have never found the need yet to put the heating on for longer. However, apart from sleeping we are rarely in the an for more than 6 hrs at a go, we normally get out and enjoy any winter sun that's available and when back in the an are usually tucked up from 9-10 p.m.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I think it's all dependant on how good, or poor your motorhome insulation is. Autotrails have fairly good insulation and we have never found the need yet to put the heating on for longer. However, apart from sleeping we are rarely in the an for more than 6 hrs at a go, we normally get out and enjoy any winter sun that's available and when back in the an are usually tucked up from 9-10 p.m.
No winter sun here after 1700 hrs it's getting dark,,1800 hrs and it's pitch black,,Benicasim..Where do you find it in the evening,?..Heating on now and it will stay on until bedtime about midnight.BUSBY.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
No winter sun here after 1700 hrs it's getting dark,,1800 hrs and it's pitch black,,Benicasim..Where do you find it in the evening,?..Heating on now and it will stay on until bedtime about midnight.BUSBY.
You really must try Morocco BUSBY.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I think it's all dependant on how good, or poor your motorhome insulation is. Autotrails have fairly good insulation.....

Our 66-plate Autotrail had the thermal insulating properties of a string vest.

We took it up to the Durham Dales in the 3-months (Sep-Dec) we had it and it was horrible in the cold. The gas was blasting away just to achieve a bearable temperature.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Our 66-plate Autotrail had the thermal insulating properties of a string vest.

We took it up to the Durham Dales in the 3-months (Sep-Dec) we had it and it was horrible in the cold. The gas was blasting away just to achieve a bearable temperature.
Pity about that ! I trust your next choice met your expectations.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Pity about that ! I trust your next choice met your expectations.

I'm not sure in all honesty. We're currently changing vans every year (British, French, German) and I'm still not certain on any of them TBH.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We used our van all through last winter with only a few days ( in the U.K.) on hookup.
We have 2x95ah batteries and 100watts solar and the Truma Combi 6 running on gas in the evenings at about 20 degrees and all night, set to around 15 degrees and even with the TV on for a couple of hours on some evenings, we never came anywhere near to flattening the batteries.
I am assuming the current draw on the fan is very low.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I have an older Truma Combi Boiler on My Dethleffs and My previous Burstner. Yes they are hungry on 12V blown air heating.
I have fitted a Chinese 8KW diesel air heater now and will only use the combi gas boiler for hot water.
I have fitted 2 exhaust silencers on the chinese heater to make it a bit quieter outside.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We have aTruma heater which can be used with or without the blown air. Have rallied (no EHU) in the UK over Christmas, 4 nights in the van, in below freezing temperatures, never had a problem with the battery, even when we had a Truma Combi. Left heating on lowest temp to avoid water freezing.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp

Yep, agree, we run our diseal heater for 20 mins or so every 90 mins on average.
i start the engine when firing up, in the (hope) expectation the glow plug and initial fan is powered from the (smart) alternator .
or we decide on an early night.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just had my Alde fluid changed. The engineer states once up to temp the 3020 uses .80 amp. Toasty!
I have Alde and agree with you. I don't turn it on or off - that's what the thermostat is for. I use night set-back to drop it 4 degrees or so between midnight & 7 am but other than that it's left to it's own devices. This is my first experience of it and a replacement van (if ever) would be off my list if it didn't have Alde heating.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back