Heating water from the engine (1 Viewer)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Think all the points been covered..agree that you still need a heater for water when engine isn't running..
My self build has a eberspacer hydronic heater which I engine plumed... so the engine when running provided blown air and hot water via the respective hey exchangers... I plumbed the hydronic heater into the heater hoses and added a solenoid valve to prevent the engine block heating up when the diesel heater was run on its own.. the solenoid valve was wired to prevent it closing when the engine was running just in case I forgot it was switched on..
Hope you sort something out..
Andy.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Think all the points been covered..agree that you still need a heater for water when engine isn't running..
My self build has a eberspacer hydronic heater which I engine plumed... so the engine when running provided blown air and hot water via the respective hey exchangers... I plumbed the hydronic heater into the heater hoses and added a solenoid valve to prevent the engine block heating up when the diesel heater was run on its own.. the solenoid valve was wired to prevent it closing when the engine was running just in case I forgot it was switched on..
Hope you sort something out..
Andy.
Thanks Andy I will have a carver water heater for when engine is not running
Thee will be a thermal actuated valve to stop over heating of the boiler and a NRV to stop run back to engine of hot water.
Cheers bill

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks Andy I will have a carver water heater for when engine is not running
Thee will be a thermal actuated valve to stop over heating of the boiler and a NRV to stop run back to engine of hot water.
Cheers bill
Is the carver water heater a separate stand alone system or is that going to incorporate the engine heating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Is the carver water heater a separate stand alone system or is that going to incorporate the engine heating.
It will have a bypass so that it can get cold water
All I have to do is put a nrv in the cold fead to the heater
Bill

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You probably don't need this Bill..............

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We've had calorifiers on several of our boats, and they've worked brilliantly

Good luck Bill. Let us know how you get on, this is one I wouldn't mind trying myself

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I agree with @chaser , it's a lot of work and expense for something that only gives you hot water when the engine is running.. unless you are on the road everyday.. it will be either used up or cold in 12 hours.

The Carver is a small heater.. barely enough for one decent shower.. and they are now discontinued .. it does have a circuit board.. replaced them several times when we had caravans.. parts may be difficult to source.. it's certainly not future proof.. if you buy second hand watch out for tank corrosion, they eventually leak.

You can buy a second hand Truma for about £300 .. here is one at £240

Another option, a Truma water heater that works off the vehicle hot air system.. with a 240v element.. , not my choice as it still only works when engine on or on EHU

A bit more expensive .. a Propex water heater also with 240v element £350

http://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/wat...aga-5e-water-heater-gas/electric/prod_16.html

Just my view Bill.. not knocking your idea... but I'd try to keep it simple and modern.. as you are planning full-time you need it to be reliable and give a good supply of how water 24hrs per day.. not just after driving ..

IMV a good water heater should have two fuel options.. the primary one should be LPG or diesel..

fit a refillable LPG bottle or tank and you have inexpensive gas

Last edited:

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Our motor home is fitted with Alde heating and when i am traveling the heat Exchanger from the engine pumps hot water round my system so when i arrive the van is warm even the radiator in the bathroom.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I agree with @chaser , it's a lot of work and expense for something that only gives you hot water when the engine is running.. unless you are on the road everyday.. it will be either used up or cold in 12 hours.

The Carver is a small heater.. barely enough for one decent shower.. and they are now discontinued .. it does have a circuit board.. replaced them several times when we had caravans.. parts may be difficult to source.. it's certainly not future proof.. if you buy second hand watch out for tank corrosion, they eventually leak.

Another option, a Truma water heater that works off the vehicle hot air system.. with a 240v element.. , not my choice as it still only works when engine on or on EHU

http://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/wat...aga-5e-water-heater-gas/electric/prod_16.html

Just my view Bill.. not knocking your idea... but I'd try to keep it simple and modern.. as you are planning full-time you need it to be reliable and give a good supply of how water 24hrs per day.. not just after driving ..

IMV a good water heater should have two fuel options.. the primary one should be LPG or diesel..

fit a refillable LPG bottle or tank and you have inexpensive gas
Just what I was trying to say if he has a decent boiler, there's no need to go to all this bother fitting something that at best will only be hit and miss, and just something else to go wrong, if you are only useing it for a fortnight at a time and moving about everyday , fine but when you have to rely on it 24/7, and going to be parked up a while you need something reliable.
I think there are better things to be spending time and money on , on your new adventure, than something that is going to be experimental, and not cheap.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Our motor home is fitted with Alde heating and when i am traveling the heat Exchanger from the engine pumps hot water round my system so when i arrive the van is warm even the radiator in the bathroom.
This is fine, but not what bill needs, he is not going to be moving around and in any case his normal van heater will work when he is.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Its all on hold at the moment looks like we will go down the replacement root another Truma
But have bigger fish to fry at the moment
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
and when it goes wrong

Think you should look at the Truma heater it has x2 blowdown valves thay will release at 3.5 bar
I have no intention of puting ether my shelf or any one in danger
Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

fit a refillable LPG bottle or tank and you have inexpensive gas[/QUOTE
Thanks for your input Jim the carver heaters are plentiful.
The later ones spears can still be obtained new or secondhand.
I am getting my PCB bord refurbished sent it off today
I have have orders a new burner might as well when its out of the van
I will be fitting the heater coil with a thermal actuated cut off valve
Thee is two safety valves in the system that will blow down at 3.5 bar I tested them with my test pump so I know
I do have gas low fitted and we are fitting a oil heater as well the night heater verity with cerosen cheaper than diesel.
Or LPG its a good back up
The emersion heter caused the PCB bord to blow.
Dead short blew capasetator according to the election.
I have serviced all the flews in the van and swept them with a bottal brush on fiber glass tent poles and smoke tested them.
I have lived and worked in sume of the most challenging environments in the world both my shelf and the wife are resorfull the we man is resorsfull.
I did live for two years in a shelf build converted bus with very lital worries
With none of the glamorous bits this van has
We we're resorsfull then and will be agane
If it gow's tits up during the night it can wait till morning.
We just have to look at what dose work then work round the things that don't.
Till we resolve the problem living in the van ther will have to be compromises
Not to many I hop it will be six months till we go full time.
even now with the business problems if we are reddy in three months bonus.
We are starting our full time adventure in the winter with a skiing holiday so that should test us to the max
Thanks for posting @scotjimland rely like your positive input
Wildbill

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i wasnt suggesting you would bill ive not met you so dont know how much common sense you have but ive come from the self build side of things and if you had seen some of the crackpots on there you tend to err on the side off caution
we had one guy had got the sockets and plugs on his hook ups round the wrong way and couldnt see why live bare plugs were a danger

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i wasnt suggesting you would bill ive not met you so dont know how much common sense you have but ive come from the self build side of things and if you had seen some of the crackpots on there you tend to err on the side off caution
we had one guy had got the sockets and plugs on his hook ups round the wrong way and couldnt see why live bare plugs were a danger
Yes that walk in our line's I do have a fairly good enganering knowleg.
Thanks for your input anyway I like to see other peeps opinions that's what is grate abut this forum a big melting pot of knowleg
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Grat video by the way got a bit addicted to things blowing up at one time
A long time a go
Bilk

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just a thought Bill, but depending on pipe bore and length of run you MAY need a small pump to keep the engine coolant moving.
Water doesnt like flowing in small bore pipes without help and the engines water pump may not do it due to a much easier route through larger radiator hoses.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just a thought Bill, but depending on pipe bore and length of run you MAY need a small pump to keep the engine coolant moving.
Water doesnt like flowing in small bore pipes without help and the engines water pump may not do it due to a much easier route through larger radiator hoses.
The matrix of a mini bus heater is only 10mm the pump is producing 6bar at heter on closed circuit
And return is 1.6 bar on low preauer side the presuers went up by 1.5 bar when the system got up to temperature
The temp on return to system was 80c when cooling fan switched off it rose to 100c
We then put the fan on and the temp dropped to 80c we let the engine tick over for one hr it never got above 90c and the air temp was 22 according to my berometer.
I got a presuer test done today by a heating enganer Doing a flow test tomorow
We will have to suck it and see but we might be abill to use 15mm her recons using kiln dryed sand
We can bend the pipe
Bill

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
As others have said, the calorifiers work brilliantly on boats - mine is hot enough t wash up after onl 20 mins

I am amazed that there aren't more of these in vans, especially little ones like my 544 which moves pretty much every day when in use.

The calorifier on my boat has a standard 1kw immersion heater which could be used on EHU or from a gennie if parked up for a couple of days

There' a 12l one of eBay at the mo for 125 quid

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a space heater under the bed at the back of the van and a coil in the water heater in the kitchen, both run off the engine cooling system. Both have controls to adjust the heat output and the system is very efficient.
But, as others have said, it only works with the engine running but the bonus is 6 free gallons of very hot water after a short drive and a warm bedroom on a cold day.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We have a space heater under the bed at the back of the van and a coil in the water heater in the kitchen, both run off the engine cooling system. Both have controls to adjust the heat output and the system is very efficient.
But, as others have said, it only works with the engine running but the bonus is 6 free gallons of very hot water after a short drive and a warm bedroom on a cold day.
It's the Free water we want but amass work now getting in the way again
:(

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Look on ebay for camping hot water. You can buy a gas shower instant heater for £150.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its all on hold at the moment looks like we will go down the replacement root another Truma
But have bigger fish to fry at the moment
Bill
Good choice Bill(y)
Couldn't see the Local Swimming baths putting up with you taking yer pots and pans in the pool for long anyway:whistle:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That's the one I'd have gone for, simple and reliable (y):)
Carvers are very inefficient compared with, say, Truma in that they don't retain heat as well. It's very noticeable once they're turned off as they cool much more quickly.

Set your stat for the engine coolant heat exchanger at 80 degrees rather than 60 - you mix more cold at the tap to get a comfortable temperature and therefore use less hot. 80 degrees won't scald.

Edit - covered by other posts!!

BGB

Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
GAINSBOROUGH
Funster No
MH
PANEL VAN CONVERSION
Exp
SINCE AUGUST 2015
NARROW BOATS DO THIS ALL THE TIME, THINK ITS CALLED A CALORIFIER UNIT. TAKE A LOOK AT NARROWBOAT MAGAZINE, SURE IVE SEEN DIY KITS FOR HOME BUILDERS.......LET US KNOW HOW YOU WENT ON........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back