Heater and hot water (1 Viewer)

StevevetS

Free Member
Nov 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Hi I am about to start a build for someone with a Peugeot boxer. The client has told me he wants no gas and everything to run of electric. As he wants a shower and blown air heating installing can anyone advise me on the best way to go about this. Is there a system that does both? There won't be a massive living area as he wants to fit a go kart in the back so the garage is going to eat into the build quite a bit.

Thanks for any help.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi welcome, most of the proprietary brands run on Electric ( mains ) as well as gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Is the client always going to have access to EHU when they are go karting?

OP
OP
S

StevevetS

Free Member
Nov 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Thanks for the replies I will look into all of these. He takes a generator so he can run the mains off it when hook up isn't available.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the replies I will look into all of these. He takes a generator so he can run the mains off it when hook up isn't available.

That would be extremely inefficient and not advisable except for emergencies. If he really doesn't want gas and intends to run heating off a generator more than once or twice a year, a diesel heater might be more appropriate. Many people are familiar with home equipment and think that a generator makes a mobile unit just like a house. It does not. You'd need to tow a massive fuel tank to run the generator if you were going to use 2kW+ off it to run heating all day, and will get about 30% efficiency for that fuel instead of around 80-90% for a diesel/gas heater. Even worse if you use petrol, as the calorific value is lower.

OP
OP
S

StevevetS

Free Member
Nov 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
A diesel heater was one of the systems I looked at. Is there a system out there that caters for both water and blown air? As for the generator I'm not sure how he goes about it. I guess as he's into karting he has fuel supplies at the track.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
A diesel heater was one of the systems I looked at. Is there a system out there that caters for both water and blown air? As for the generator I'm not sure how he goes about it. I guess as he's into karting he has fuel supplies at the track.

I take it you did not watch the video I posted then ?

OP
OP
S

StevevetS

Free Member
Nov 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Yes I watched the video but I'm not sure he would have much space for a unit of that size plus talking with him he isn't keen on cutting holes in the side of his van for the flue pipe. I am going to find this build a bit of a challenge as he also wants his cassette removable from the inside of the van. When I come to build the shower room this is something I will be looking into.

Thanks

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
put the heater underneath then ......

have a look at how max and sophie did theirs on youtube

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Forget a cassette: I’ve still got a bucket with a sealable lid from the 1970s in my shed 🙄

Gordon

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The OP's client has bizarre requirements. Cutting no holes - I'm assuming he doesn't even want windows in the side of the van.

A diesel fired boiler + ducted warm air heating system is an off-the-shelf solution that doesn't take up much room but it needs a flue. The small flue outlet is hardly visible nowadays. Why is that a problem? Ridiculous.

Sounds to me like the sort of high risk customer you should run a mile from. Highly likely they will be always be dissatisified and unhappy with the conversion, and might even find excuses not to pay for the work.

OP
OP
S

StevevetS

Free Member
Nov 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Yeah it's a strange one. The windows came installed in the van. As I am not clued up with diesel heaters I wasn't aware of the flue. I've looked at some of the smaller diesel heaters and was thinking of mounting one under the van. I assume if I use one of these I will also need a separate water system inside the van that heats up electrical? I'm used to working with a truma combi boiler that does everything off one unit.

I was looking for something small that does both if possible. Can the truma combi diesel be mounted under the van (The one in the video)?

Also any other non gas recommendations would be hugely appreciated even if they are separate units.

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Yeah it's a strange one. The windows came installed in the van. As I am not clued up with diesel heaters I wasn't aware of the flue. I've looked at some of the smaller diesel heaters and was thinking of mounting one under the van. I assume if I use one of these I will also need a separate water system inside the van that heats up electrical? I'm used to working with a truma combi boiler that does everything off one unit.

I was looking for something small that does both if possible. Can the truma combi diesel be mounted under the van (The one in the video)?

Also any other non gas recommendations would be hugely appreciated even if they are separate units.

Thanks.
My Truma Combi D4 + 2 leisure batteries fits under the forward facing dinette bench seat and is very quiet when running. No need to fit under the floor although I understand you can do that with a Webasto or Eberspacher.

I only need a gas bottle for the hob and I haven't needed another 6kg Calor refill after 4 years. If space for a gas locker is the issue a CampingGaz 907 bottle is sufficient just for cooking and can last a whole season or longer. Electric hobs only make sense when on EHU. You can get diesel hobs.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I have a diesel Webasto Dual Top 6 mounted under the back of my MH. The exhaust vents down and back like a car exhaust. Blown air and hot water. Can be used whilst driving. Uses diesel from main fuel tank.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019

Thanks.
The toilet cassette can be accessible from inside, that’s how we have ours to. Just make sure you get the correct side toilet.
As for water heater, propex do a nice electric cylinder, and you could have a diesel heater for the heating. For cooking a induction hob will do well, or even combined with a bit of camping gas.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
You could use a cheap Chinese diesel heater, then combine with a Truma Therme.

The diesel heater could be mounted under the van, with the Therme inside. The Therms has no flue, so no holes in side of van.

The Therme uses the heat from the heating ducting to heat the water, or can be run on 240v.

By adding a cheap inverter to the vehicles starter battery, along with a VSR, you get hot water when driving as well.

Fitted a system like this for a friend and I was very skeptical - but it works surprisingly well and he is very happy with it.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Propex do a range of heaters and water heaters which might be suitable. Including underslung gas heaters that require no bodywork holes and standalone electric water heaters. Mains only heating can be done with domestic convector heaters.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I have a diesel Webasto Dual Top 6 mounted under the back of my MH. The exhaust vents down and back like a car exhaust. Blown air and hot water. Can be used whilst driving. Uses diesel from main fuel tank.
Does this mean you have continuous hot water so shower as long as you want if you have enough water ?

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Does this mean you have continuous hot water so shower as long as you want if you have enough water ?
No I'm afraid not. It heats about 10 litres of water. The water temperature can be set at 40 Deg C or 70 Deg C. The 70 Deg C, when mixed with cold is enough for two showers, if you are frugal with the water.. It's best to let it warm up a bit again between showers if you want a more generous wash!

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
No I'm afraid not. It heats about 10 litres of water. The water temperature can be set at 40 Deg C or 70 Deg C. The 70 Deg C, when mixed with cold is enough for two showers, if you are frugal with the water.. It's best to let it warm up a bit again between showers if you want a more generous wash!
Did you happen to look at the 8 too? Bigger capacity?

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Did you happen to look at the 8 too? Bigger capacity?
No, mine was standard equipment when I got my MH. The output is still ample to heat the MH. The extra hot water storage would be useful though.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Hi I am about to start a build for someone with a Peugeot boxer. The client has told me he wants no gas and everything to run of electric. As he wants a shower and blown air heating installing can anyone advise me on the best way to go about this. Is there a system that does both? There won't be a massive living area as he wants to fit a go kart in the back so the garage is going to eat into the build quite a bit.

Thanks for any help.

Hi and welcome to the forum, as a free member you get five free posts before needing to subscribe to continue to interact with members.

I'm currently building something that might service your customer's requirements. What type and capacity of batteries does he specify?

Cheers
Red

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back