Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's prompted me, time for my update.

Had my hearing test at SpecSavers on 16th March. My hearing was fairly typical for my age, -20db @250Hz, -40db @2kHz and -60db @4kHz and above. The bass @250Hz is in the normal hearing range & the higher frequencies are typical for my age group.

Walked out an hour later with a pair of NHS issue ReSound Danalogic Ambio 77 hearing aids & 6 months supply of batteries, they were set up to my hearing loss with some final tweaks to suit me.
While still in SpecSavers waiting for them to fit some new nose pads to my glasses I could hear what people were saying right at the other end of the shop and when I went outside I could hear what people were saying 10 - 20 yds away it was just weird.

They connect to app on my phone via Bluetooth which allows you to change the volume, bass, treble & high frecency boost, also a restaurant setting, bass boost, treble boost & hearing loop. you can save any adjustments you make so you can have loads of pre-programed settings. For NHS I'm quite impressed.

In use, it's now a pleasure to watch TV rather than a strain, high pitched women's voices can be a bit squeaky but at least I can hear what they are saying.

I am supposed to work up to wearing them all the time to help prevent further hearing loss, some days I do, some I don't.

Around the house it's deafening walking on laminate floors, having a pee & wiping yer bum it sounds like I'm using sandpaper. :cry: also computer keyboard is very loud.
Apparently it's because your brain hasn't heard these noises for a long time and it will gradually tune them out.

Outside, blimey birds ain't 'arf noisy, birds tweeting all over the place that I never heard before.

So a good result just got to get used to them.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Got NHS hearing aids. Found them really good at reducing my tinnitus. Lost one of them outside when taking Covid mask off didn't realise it got tangled in the mask. Phoned the hospital and they sent me a new one with 2boxes of batteries (years supply). Was told the hearing aids cost £1500 each.All I had to pay was £25 to replace the lost hearing aid
Yep, nearly lost mine several times taking my mask off, last time one landed on the pavement, several times put my mask in a pocket to find later a hearing aid hanging out looped on the mask string. Getting into the habit of holding them now when taking the mask off.
If I lose one I get charged £80 each.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
....and that’s why I don’t wear a ‘loop behind the ears’ type mask! ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I have found the same problem. I now am very careful when removing my mask. How they manage to get tangled is a mystery to me.

Mind you it gets a bit crowded now behind my ears; they have to support my glasses, hearing aids and now face mask, all fighting for the best position.

Geoff

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I only wear on my left so when moving from place to place I find just dropping the right side of the mask 😷 makes it less of a problem with aid being tangled to mask 😷 until you go to take it fully off. 🦻

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now

Had my hearing test at SpecSavers on 16th March. My hearing was fairly typical for my age, -20db @250Hz, -40db @2kHz and -60db @4kHz and above. The bass @250Hz is in the normal hearing range & the higher frequencies are typical for my age group.

Walked out an hour later with a pair of NHS issue ReSound Danalogic Ambio 77 hearing aids & 6 months supply of batteries, they were set up to my hearing loss with some final tweaks to suit me.
While still in SpecSavers waiting for them to fit some new nose pads to my glasses I could hear what people were saying right at the other end of the shop and when I went outside I could hear what people were saying 10 - 20 yds away it was just weird.

They connect to app on my phone via Bluetooth which allows you to change the volume, bass, treble & high frecency boost, also a restaurant setting, bass boost, treble boost & hearing loop. you can save any adjustments you make so you can have loads of pre-programed settings. For NHS I'm quite impressed.

In use, it's now a pleasure to watch TV rather than a strain, high pitched women's voices can be a bit squeaky but at least I can hear what they are saying.

I am supposed to work up to wearing them all the time to help prevent further hearing loss, some days I do, some I don't.

Around the house it's deafening walking on laminate floors, having a pee & wiping yer bum it sounds like I'm using sandpaper. :cry: also computer keyboard is very loud.
Apparently it's because your brain hasn't heard these noises for a long time and it will gradually tune them out.

Outside, blimey birds ain't 'arf noisy, birds tweeting all over the place that I never heard before.

So are you saying that by going to Specsavers for a hearing test they could prescribe NHS hearing aids ? Was there a cost for that ?

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years

Hi Lenny

Interested to read about your hearing aids, they sound quite high tech.

I have looked on the NHS web and it says some but not all aids are free. So were your Ambio 77 free?

Geoff

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny

Interested to read about your hearing aids, they sound quite high tech.

I have looked on the NHS web and it says some but not all aids are free. So were your Ambio 77 free?

Geoff
Yep, free I think different NHS Trusts issue different hearing aids, I was told they are a mid range hearing aid. Also our SpecSavers is very good being a franchise they can vary a lot from branch to branch.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks for that Lenny.

I am due in Specsavers next week for glasses, so will ask for all info.

Geoff

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks for that Lenny.

I am due in Specsavers next week for glasses, so will ask for all info.

Geoff
You need to get referred by your GP or they will just try and flog some.
Just had a punt around on the web the model number on the NHS ones are not the same as the commercial ones but it looks like the same one is about £2.5k to buy.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks Lenny

Can't see NHS paying that sort of money out. Perhaps they take all the 'seconds'. Yes I noted that I need a GP referral, should not be too difficult, "Sorry doc, what did you say?"

Just remember: Money isn't everything as long as you have plenty of it.

Geoff

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I have a NHS hearing test at Specsaver in a couple of weeks. I hope NHS ones work for me, the only problem I really have is when watching TV dramas & films OK I sometimes have ask people to repeat what they say but it's not that bad.
If the hearing problem is only for TV, it's possible that the TV speakers in their super thin LCD TV are just not capable of delivering the broadcast sound distinctly. We went mad in early August and bought a DALI Kubik One soundbar and I hear sound from both TV and music that I have been missing for years; and all this at lower volumes so no tinny vibrations from cranking the sound up! Even at very low volume settings, things like car exhausts acoustic are throaty and crystal clear.

I quite like my Kubik One ... :rolleyes: (y)

Steve

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
I have hearing aids, many years ago I went to be assessed because I had tinnitus, told I had hearing loss so hence the aids. Since Covid trying to use aids, glasses and mask drove me mad together. I have for about 6 months not used my aids and I seem to be no worse off, tinnitus still bad but hearing no worse, if something a little better and I now have NO PROBLEM with mask as well.

Always have used NHS aids and now due for an upgrade but not sure to go but probably will just to have them to fall back on.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If the hearing problem is only for TV, it's possible that the TV speakers in their super thin LCD TV are just not capable of delivering the broadcast sound distinctly. We went mad in early August and bought a DALI Kubik One soundbar and I hear sound from both TV and music that I have been missing for years; and all this at lower volumes so no tinny vibrations from cranking the sound up! Even at very low volume settings, things like car exhausts acoustic are throaty and crystal clear.

I quite like my Kubik One ... :rolleyes: (y)

Steve
Have a Pioneer surround sound amp with Gale speakers, the boss used to moan when I turned it up as the whole house vibrated. Also have a Panasonic soundbar, turning the subwoofer off made it slightly clearer, with the hearing aids I can have the subwoofer back on.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Went to Specsavers this morning for a hearing test. I've just sent this email to Specsavers HQ.

Dear Specsavers

I travelled from Hamble to Hedge End for today’s appointment. As soon as I arrived I mentioned that as I have no need for a clever hidden hearing aid I would like one supplied by the NHS, as advertised on your Corporate website.

“We don’t do NHS” was the reply, “I think you have to go to Fareham”.

I asked why this was not stated on the website, and I mentioned that I had wasted my time and hers.

“You’ll have to take that up with Head Office” was the less than helpful reply.

Needless to say I will be going to Boots next time...

Yours

John Barrett

Hamble

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Went to Specsavers this morning for a hearing test. I've just sent this email to Specsavers HQ.

Dear Specsavers

I travelled from Hamble to Hedge End for today’s appointment. As soon as I arrived I mentioned that as I have no need for a clever hidden hearing aid I would like one supplied by the NHS, as advertised on your Corporate website.

“We don’t do NHS” was the reply, “I think you have to go to Fareham”.

I asked why this was not stated on the website, and I mentioned that I had wasted my time and hers.

“You’ll have to take that up with Head Office” was the less than helpful reply.

Needless to say I will be going to Boots next time...

Yours

John Barrett

Hamble
You can only get NHS ones if you are referred by your GP and it will be to whoever the NHS uses in your area. Our trust uses Specsavers and they were excellent.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Motorhome Chat??!!

Think i will put my 40 year old boots on here again:oops:

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I have NHS ones free, free batteries and updated every 3 years free.

Lenny ask them to add a Chanel for the TV and one to drown out background noise, one for the loop, ideal when in the bank. And last but not least one for general chat.

I use my mobile with earphones if I am on a call to a help desk as it makes my arm ache holding a phone to my ear.

A friend of mine paid £4,000 for his then topped up getting a pair from local hospital

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny ask them to add a Chanel for the TV and one to drown out background noise, one for the loop, ideal when in the bank. And last but not least one for general chat.
I can do all that with the app on my phone, there is a button on then to change between normal/background & loop but it's easier to do it on the phone app. I can change bass/mid & treble and save the settings.

My current settings for tv.
Screenshot_2021-04-15-21-34-25-02_55ecef0fddc13de4fa5fb8d8531b3ba6.jpg

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Is that a freely available app or did it come from SS?

Mar 12, 2021
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
Slow replying but been away with no signal I have top of the range widex ones can turn them up or down on the phone alter all the tones set them up to do a series of special situations , expensive but worth it

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Would have gone NHS but they dont do "in the ear "ones which I prefer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back