Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
hi all.

We are just starting the process of becoming residents in Spain and we need private health insurance each. Can anybody recommend a cheap one please.

We also need bank accounts. Can you recommend one with lower fees and does anybody know if we can get a joint one or do we need one each for the residency forms

Thanks Paul and Anne

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
hi all.

We are just starting the process of becoming residents in Spain and we need private health insurance each. Can anybody recommend a cheap one please.

We also need bank accounts. Can you recommend one with lower fees and does anybody know if we can get a joint one or do we need one each for the residency forms

Thanks Paul and Anne
You mention Health insurance and cheap in the same sentence.. don't think so.
I can only go on the price in France and cheap it ain't. There are three types of cover in France covering 100%, 200% and 300% reimbursements but Spain may be different. I' m sure one of the Spanish residents will be along to assist ie. @jumartoo @gus-lopez

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I am with Exclusive Healthcare but not sure if they do Spain . Not cheap though £2000 per year and that covers only the 30% gap

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Is either (or both) of you receiving an OAP? If so you need form S1 from Newcastle (one each). This then covers your health requirements.

I can't recommend an insurer but Sanitas is one mentioned regularly on expat forums where your questions could probably be answered better than on here. ASSSA is also mentioned.

A joint bank account is OK for both of you to prove income/lump sum.

Where are you thinking of living? Different regions have different requirements.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
hi all.

Thanks Paul and Anne

What @jumartoo & @Mickx said are both correct. If under retirement which you appear to be if they are asking for health care then what @Mickx said or use a local insurance broker who should be easily be able to get you both fully coveed for a lot less than 100€/month , assuming you have no medical problems. You only require it for 12 months then you can switch to paying in to the state system @ 60€/month per person. Although Many find it is cheaper to retain the private health care. Do not use a UK company as the prices will be sky high.
Bank accounts . Sabadell supposedly have no charges if a pension is paid in.They also have an account whose name escapes me that many swear by. @Mickx might know ? Just bear in mind what I was told many years ago " Spanish banks have the highest charges in the world" They charge for everything if they can. Amazingly the only thing guaranteed that doesn't cost you money when paying in /drawing out is cash. Regardless of amounts.:xlaugh:

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
We use Sabadell Key Account plus and typically get charged 30 euro a quarter (10 Euro a month)

We had a health insurance quote from Santias and from memory it was approx 70 Euro each per month where I think (and Tanya and I do need to investigate more) for similar cover it was c.35 Euro each with the bank

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Does it have to be a 'physical' Spanish account? If not then you could get a Revolut bank account:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Does it have to be a 'physical' Spanish account? If not then you could get a Revolut bank account:
According to the 'rules' ,no. Depending on region you live in..yes :xlaugh: Almeria no chance with anything not spanish.
To the OP remember you only 'need' the account for registering. after you have the certificate you can do what you want.:) Theoretically & legally you can pay any standing order /Dd's from an account anywhere in the EU under SEPA legislation.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/business-...nt-services/single-euro-payments-area-sepa_en

Actually managing it is another thing as many spanish entities do not comply with the requirements even though they were supposed to some years ago.

OP
OP
A

annenpaul

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
W
Is either (or both) of you receiving an OAP? If so you need form S1 from Newcastle (one each). This then covers your health requirements.

I can't recommend an insurer but Sanitas is one mentioned regularly on expat forums where your questions could probably be answered better than on here. ASSSA is also mentioned.

A joint bank account is OK for both of you to prove income/lump sum.

Where are you thinking of living? Different regions have different requirements.
e are living in Benidorm

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
W

e are living in Benidorm

Ah, can't help you with amounts required there.

Here in the Lorca office last year we needed €5,000 each in an account (or €10,000 joint account) and it wasn't necessary to show any income. Crazy, hey? Although cos we had S1's I presume they knew we had at least one OAP income.

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
If you are becoming a Spanish resident why do you need health insurance. Just reister with your local medical centre in Spain and you get the same treatment as a Spanish citizen, which can be better than NHS! Consider bank of Santander for your bankers

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you are becoming a Spanish resident why do you need health insurance. Just reister with your local medical centre in Spain and you get the same treatment as a Spanish citizen, which can be better than NHS! Consider bank of Santander for your bankers
I thought that there were some things that the health system doesn't pay for though, or you have to top it up?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You have to be resident to be accepted for Spanish health services and to be resident you have to show you have health cover (either by S1 or private health insurance) and proof of income.

In times past it was different.

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
We have friends who have just become Spanish residents, they spend 8 months in Spain and 4 months (summer months) in UK, Registered as a resident and registered with local doctors. No health cover other than EHIC card. Proof of income is state pension. The only item not covered is dental care. If a Spanish citizen pays for treatment, then they pay as well. The UK tax payers also pay a contribution to the local Spanish government where our friend reside as part of their 'council tax' equivalent.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@annenpaul In addition to the recommendations given above I would just mention that BBVA operate a bank account with no charges and provide a debit card, also without charge.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have friends who have just become Spanish residents, they spend 8 months in Spain and 4 months (summer months) in UK, Registered as a resident and registered with local doctors. No health cover other than EHIC card. Proof of income is state pension. The only item not covered is dental care. If a Spanish citizen pays for treatment, then they pay as well. The UK tax payers also pay a contribution to the local Spanish government where our friend reside as part of their 'council tax' equivalent.

They're very lucky then!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
You can't anymore in most places where they understand the rules.

The Uk will not be paying Spain anything for someone registered using an EHIC card.They only pay via registration using the S1.
Used to be a favourite up on the Costa Blanca until they cracked down on it. If they have actually registered on the foreigners register without an S1 for healthcare then I'm amazed! Where are they in Spain?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back