Headlines - plonker books ferry on wrong day !! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
i wonder what kind of plonker would book a ferry to France on the 24th March and then think the ferry is on the 23rd March, so is just about to leave for an overnighter near Eastbourne ....

of course Mrs Plonker is involved because she also had all the details.

Thankfully for The Plonker family - it wasnt booked a day behind, just a day in front, so they will be sailing on Friday and not Thursday.....

so, now the question is, do they set off today anyway and have an extra day around the Kent coast somewhere (recommendations please) or stay on the drive at home - my money is that Mr Plonker will get a couple of recommendations (on where to stay NOT to check bookings in future!) from the wonderful world of motorhome fun ....

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
Long story short but we were parked up at Bilbao port two days early as we had engine problems, the day prior to sailing three fellas turned up on Motorbikes “serious road bikes” l got chatting and asked where they were staying, on the boat was the reply, absolute shock horror and one extreme red face on the fella that organised the trip,off they went for a tour around the Picos de Europe for a day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Any good for you a night down the pub

Thanks, we have already booked there for Thursday night, thats the one part I, i mean 'he' got right LOL !!

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Long story short but we were parked up at Bilbao port two days early as we had engine problems, the day prior to sailing three fellas turned up on Motorbikes “serious road bikes” l got chatting and asked where they were staying, on the boat was the reply, absolute shock horror and one extreme red face on the fella that organised the trip,off they went for a tour around the Picos de Europe for a day.
Can’t beat the Picos on a bike. 👌🏻
DD72A86B-320F-4706-8F92-E020A22ED027.jpeg
6E4A071E-8917-4FA7-A0DF-FE4F91C254AE.jpeg
BCDCCD16-1AD9-400B-B7CA-869271BFC321.jpeg
6E4A071E-8917-4FA7-A0DF-FE4F91C254AE.jpeg

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Definitely , 2023 ?
We we're standing in a long snaking queue for car hire in San Jose. The Scottish chap in front of us eventually got to the counter, and after a short while there was lots of exasperated body language, and a quite fierce face from his wife standing with a toddler in her arms. "Problems ?" I ventured " Ay " she said, " To$$ pot" , motioning to her husband, " has booked a nice rental car, in San Jose, AMERICA ", which made everyone in the queue giggle a bit as we we're in San Jose, Costa Rica. I expect he thought he'd scored a bargain, as car hire is very expensive in Costa Rica.
Mike.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
After two years spent learning to ride again on a 90cc moped I overheard my sons discussing riding their big Rice Burner bikes to the Picos to celebrate younger son's 40th. I told them they weren't going without me to celebrate my 72nd birthday and bought a tiny Honda CBF - a 125cc as it was the heaviest I could manage (with only my left arm useable following a big biking accident two years previously)

Setting off for Spain..jpg

It took us 3 days (at my Honda's max 65mph downhill :rolleyes: ) to get to the fantastic Picos.

Pyrenees foothills.jpg

At every opportunity we sheltered in biking gear from the blistering heat.

Hot work.jpg

Due to my sons' time constraints we took the ferry back from Santander where in more blistering heat we joined the seemingly endless queue of the ship's max bike complement of 250 bikes.

Behind us.........

CIMG5022.JPG

and in front.........

CIMG5023.JPG

Cheers!.jpg

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
i wonder what kind of plonker would book a ferry to France on the 24th March and then think the ferry is on the 23rd March, so is just about to leave for an overnighter near Eastbourne ....

Thankfully for The Plonker family - it wasnt booked a day behind, just a day in front, so they will be sailing on Friday and not Thursday.....

so, now the question is, do they set off today anyway and have an extra day around the Kent coast somewhere (recommendations please) or stay on the drive at home - my money is that Mr Plonker will get a couple of recommendations (on where to stay NOT to check bookings in future!) from the wonderful world of motorhome fun ....
Will you be changing your name to Dick Plonker ? :unsure:

For those of you who dont know, When Covid opened up in Europe 3 weeks before us on June 15th 2020, MisterB was second on the tunnel of the escape committee. I was Tom for a while !

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My son and DIL flew out on Dec 31st transiting at San Francisco and arriving in New Zealand on Jan 2nd, missing out on a New Year's Eve celebration and Jan 1st. They are flying back from NZ in a couple of days on March 26th/27th when our clocks go forward so I suspect that means they'll lose another hour of their lives, or maybe they'll get 13 hours back and lose one......:unsure:
All rather confusing. However we do need time as Mark Twain said: 'Time is what keeps everything from happening at once'.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
So Mr Plonkers second cousin twice removed rolled up to the barrier at the tunnel (this is years ago) to be met with the screen saying words to the effect, "Because you are 22hrs Late, there is an additional charge of £44"

Outrageous, I'm 2hrs early for my trip today, (Friday)

Pressed the button and the humanoid at the other end repeated what was on the screen.

At this point I almost impressed myself with my speed of thought.

"What day is it? “

" Its Friday"

"Well, when we amended our ticket by phoning you, your man must have put the wrong date in because, when we go over the water, we arrive on Friday because that gives us the first two days without there being lorries on the road"

"Ah! I can see you amended the ticket. Sorry about that. Come in" . :whistle2:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I booked outbound Dunkirk-Dover and same route for return to Dunkirk, I thought.

We drove up to DFDS at Dover and they just look at reg no., gave us out card to hang on mirror, which neither of us checked. I was a bit surprised at lane no. because we normally boarded via a lower one.

I was a bit surprised when they announced bars etc were closing so early, then looked at coast and thought we were close considering time to Dunkirk.

You have guessed - we were approaching Calais.

In my defence(a poor one) DFDS website shows the Calais and Dunkirk sailings interdispersed on the same page, so my finger must have slipped.

No great problem, just 25 km along the M/way.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Back in the day , flights , ferries etc were regularly timed at 1200 pm and YES we arrived on the wrong day - the staff said they were used to it . Nowadays they are 1205 so 🤞not as many people get it wrong

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Remember Speedferries? Some plonker rolled up to the check in there with a car full of kids and Mrs 2x2 to be told the ferry went 24hrs earlier. I wasn't very popular and buying a new ticket at the port was rather expensive.

However to their credit they credited the outward cost back to my account, which we used the next year, and we used the return portion to come back. Doubt that would happen now.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our last trip abroad we turned up at the kiosk at Zeebrugge handed over documents only to be told we were a day early 🙄

Would you like to travel today sir?

Is there any cost?

£140

😳

No thanks , see you tomorrow and we discovered a brand new aire just down the road for an ‘extra’ night away

Thankfully, like OP we were early and not late 👍

funkyfunky

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2013
Lassere-De-Prouille, Aude, France
Funster No
MH
c class Mercedes 310d FFB
Exp

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We stood at a car rental booth in Malta at 1:45pm and collected the appropriate keys.
Son in law, who’d booked the villa and found the best car deal, took my place only to be told “we waited for you this morning. Your car is no longer available.”
We had both entered our flight number, as required, and there weren’t any planes from Standted arriving after 9pm. Who was at fault?

Fortunately they were able to supply a larger car for only £8 extra for the week so our vehicle spent most of the time parked, thus saving money 👍

Gordon

funkyfunky

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2013
Lassere-De-Prouille, Aude, France
Funster No
MH
c class Mercedes 310d FFB
Exp
My missis booked a ferry and booked the wrong port. We were on the last minute and had no time to rush to the right port. Because woman likes to be in charge and domineering as they are and do, we had to pay £250 extra to board at the port that the sweet one had taken us to. Bless, life is good . I still hold this in reserve

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019

Easily done (!) - we had this problem a few years ago going to France via Dover. We left Southampton a little later than was ideal so thrashed the old Maverick to death to reach the ferry before check-in closed. How we never got a ticket I don't know but we made it with literally two minutes to spare and the co-pilot handed the tickets over with a great sense of relief - which soon evaporated when the lovely lady in the booth looked a little puzzled and said "but these tickets are for tomorrow's sailing . . ?"

We just burst out laughing and she said she was a bit puzzled as to why we weren't shouting at her, which apparently is a thing for unhappy ferry passengers when they need to direct their anger at someone. Anyway, she just told us to drive round to a waiting bay near the embarkation point (it was on a high speed ferry) and they would see if they could get us on. They did, with the tow bar on the Maverick just kissing the doors as they closed so we got to France a little earlier than intended, which was a different set of problems altogether . . . .

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
A few years ago when we briefly went over to the dark side (caravan), we joined friends for a week in a villa after our winter stay in Spain, leaving the caravan on site. We had a lovely week & set off in the car to drive to the tunnel in a single journey for the last night crossing. Somewhere around Bordeaux in a thunderstorm of epic proportions, I checked the tunnel crossing. It was for the Saturday before! I tried not to tell HWMBO straight away, as we navigated busy traffic, & I bought another ticket with a flaky phone signal! Confessed eventually, & all would have been well if we hadn’t had a puncture further up the road! The spare wheel was in a well in the back of the X Trail under all our worldly goods, the dogs crate & several boxes of Spanish floor tiles we were taking back for the bathroom & hall! Paul might have won some sort of tyre changing & boot emptying competition if there had been one! We made the tunnel with four minutes to spare!

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Been there done that ours was a flight from Bangkok back to UK. Got back to Bangkok then found the flight wasn't tomorrow it was the next day, not too much of a problem as we had the use of our daughter's flat.
How about forgetting about the International date line! Booked all the flights via an American road trip for back home, booked all the flights and landed in Dublin to get the Blackpool flight ( when you could) only to be told your flight went yesterday!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back