Headlight beam deflectors on newer Fiats. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Someone told me the other day that you don't need beam deflectors when driving on the continent in the latest Fiat x290 models because they have a light pattern that suits both sides of the road. Is this correct? Don't want to pay a hefty fine for the want of a bit of sticky back plastic!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't think that is correct as they are made in RHD & LHD versions and if you import a van you have to change the headlamps before you can register it.
If you really want to check just point van at a wall with dip beam on. If the beam kicks up to the left you need deflectors.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Isn’t there a lever/switch/gadget behind the light that changes them from LHD to RHD? I’m sure someone showed me that at a show somewhere a few years ago

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
You are thinking of the Hella projector lamps fitted to a lot of A Class vans.
Yes it was an A Class, come to think of it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Our 2018 Citroen Jumper which has the same headlights as Ducato & Boxer needed RHD headlights as the LHD could not be adjusted suitably so beam deflectors are needed as @Lenny HB mentioned above. You can use the stick on temporary ones but leaving them on too long can discolour the headlights. Like many others on here we have fitted these Airplex protectors £74.95 delivered from Van Comfort http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/headlampdeflectorspage_000.htm as these protect the expensive headlights too.

upload_2018-10-4_14-9-38-png.259599

More info. about these here on post 3 https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...vc-modding-accessories-discount-codes.184590/

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Good ideas about the protectors, new lamps are £110 ea + the effort of fitting.
Rather sad there's not a lever to do the job, I thought we'd been in the EU since 1992.

If in doubt of the need and placement of the deflectors see if you can talk nicely to an MOT station and pop in during a quiet time to use their beam checking gear, I did this and could:

a) Verify there was an upsweep to the left (this was on a different van - not a Ducato!)
b) Play with the locations of any deflectors to just eliminate the upsweep and not affect anything else.

This took me about 2 minutes and the position really wasn't the one I'd thought from the instructions and I could confirm I had a nice flat beam after with 100% certainty.

If you are getting a pre-trip service you could always ask the garage to fit them using this method too.
As a bonus it also means you confirm your lamps are pointing in the proper direction for the rest of us in the UK ;)

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
In 19 years of me having motorhomes and being on various forums.
Can say that I have never heard or read of any 1 instance of someone being stopped for beam deflectors. Also when abroad I see so many cars that have nothing fitted, inc older models that would certainly not have any type of beam adjustment.
My view for £4.50 off ebay, I buy those cheap stick on adaptors and I'm legal. Usually I leave them on the van while here in UK, Van passes MOT no issues... (y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Had a look around, the protectors seem to be available for about £60 and also via the CMC club

https://shop.caravanclub.co.uk/product/1990555/peugeot-boxer-2014-headlight-protector-pair
https://www.primaleisure.com/product/1990555/peugeot-boxer-2014-headlight-protector-pair
etc.

Looks like a better target to stick foil or whatever beam deflector material you end up using too!
Well spotted & Airplex brand too (y) - with delivery they are £67.48 but they do offer free collection in Bristol. For C&MC members they are £6 cheaper so a decent saving & member benefit. When we bought ours they were £69.98 delivered but looks like Van Comfort have put up their prices.

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
In 19 years of me having motorhomes and being on various forums.
Can say that I have never heard or read of any 1 instance of someone being stopped for beam deflectors. Also when abroad I see so many cars that have nothing fitted, inc older models that would certainly not have any type of beam adjustment.
My view for £4.50 off ebay, I buy those cheap stick on adaptors and I'm legal. Usually I leave them on the van while here in UK, Van passes MOT no issues... (y)

20yrs of driving car and Motorhome around Europe and I too have never seen or heard of anything to do with lights..... I’ve never done anything to my lights and never been flashed...

Ive never seen foreign cars with deflectors in the uk either...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back