Have you got a number plate on retention? (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
What result do you get when you go to the gov.uk check vehicle tax on the plate? Do you get any reference to the previous vehicle it was attached to? Or indeed any vehicle?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
7FFED559-9A37-45BA-8593-6EB037BA6481.png

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I just did this retention 2 weeks ago. Go online, follow the guidelines, retain you private plate, pay your £80, and you will get a new reg number immediately. The retention certificate was with me within a week.
Easy. Phil

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I just did this retention 2 weeks ago. Go online, follow the guidelines, retain you private plate, pay your £80, and you will get a new reg number immediately. The retention certificate was with me within a week.
Easy. Phil
Thank you, but with respect that was not my question. You clearly have a plate on retention, if you go to https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax
does your number show vehicle details could not be found, as big map above?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Thank you, but with respect that was not my question. You clearly have a plate on retention, if you go to https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Because the number is on retention & therefore not assigned to a vehicle, no vehicle details will be found (y)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
DVLA works well most of the time but sometimes problems can occur, for instance, taking a private plate off my wife’s smart car so we could sell it.
“This number plate cannot be retained online“? and must be done by post using the correct forms. We sent the forms off over a month ago and are still waiting.
Phil

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So members don't think I am a total Moron I will pm the worthy ones with the sensitive reason for the question.
We're now all wondering what the 'sensitive' reason is .... you haven't got a 'rude' plate have you? :LOL:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am struggling to understand.

If your plate is on retention (as the heading for this thread says it is) there will be no vehicle allocated to it. Therefore you will get the "vehicle details could not be found" message that I have just got when I checked on my private plate that is on retention. That is what I would expect. Or are you getting a different message?

Should we be worried if we get the same message as big map?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I am struggling to understand.

If your plate is on retention (as the heading for this thread says it is) there will be no vehicle allocated to it. Therefore you will get the "vehicle details could not be found" message that I have just got when I checked on my private plate that is on retention. That is what I would expect. Or are you getting a different message?

Should we be worried if we get the same message as big map?
Nothing to worry about if you get the same message as me. That message is what you should get.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Minxy Girl peterc10 Lenny HB Added you to the PM. For any more posters I have what I needed thank you for your time. And special thanks to big map who got it right first time without any faf, critique etc(y)
Whooooooooo ... that's one HECK of a number plate ... sexy eh????? :LOL:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I am assuming that retention is different to just transferring it?. SWMBO has One on her current lease car which gets replaced next year, the first time for her. I assume the dealer will be able to transfer the Plate to a new unregistered car?. Or do we have to do it?.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I am assuming that retention is different to just transferring it?. SWMBO has One on her current lease car which gets replaced next year, the first time for her. I assume the dealer will be able to transfer the Plate to a new unregistered car?. Or do we have to do it?.
Yes the dealer can do it but it will cost £80 for the transfer fee.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
As Minxy Girl says dealers can do it most will but I am aware of some that won't so check in plenty of time.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Yes just sold a van with a private plate, retention done for £80 then old number plate Re issued by dvla.
Within about 3 days my retention cert and new v5 arrived in the post the private plate can be transferred to another vehicle within 10 years.
hope that helps

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
DVLA works well most of the time but sometimes problems can occur, for instance, taking a private plate off my wife’s smart car so we could sell it.
“This number plate cannot be retained online“? and must be done by post using the correct forms. We sent the forms off over a month ago and are still waiting.
Phil
Just out of curiosity, has your Smart had the plate on for a short-ish time?

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009

things may have changed, I had a lease van and removed my plate from it before end of lease. The retention certificate came back in the name of the lease company, which Citroen then signed It back over to me to put on another van. Unfortunately at the time the retention certs were only for a year, which I didn’t realise until it was 11months old, had to go through whole process again. Just checked Dvla website and it can be done by post If your not the register owner. I would check with lease company as they are Likely to have more experience of this. good luck.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Trouble is “post” and ”DVLA” are strange bedfellows

Phone is no better
Answerphone says “we are busy, use the website, click”

Only the Banks are more arrogant with people queuing in rain

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes just sold a van with a private plate, retention done for £80 then old number plate Re issued by dvla.
Within about 3 days my retention cert and new v5 arrived in the post the private plate can be transferred to another vehicle within 10 years.
hope that helps
We’re just about to do this as we’re going down to one car so let me get this right. You pay the £80 to take it off and retain it but do you have to pay another £80 to put it on next vehicle when you get one? It’s normally £80 to change isn’t it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back