Have I lost the plot regarding EU pet passports ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
Our westie was born in Granada Spain three years ago and is the proud owner of an EU pet passport. Likewise I am the proud owner of a British passport. Yesterday we took her to the vets here in Dunoon to get her vaccinations updated. We had to wait outside the surgery whilst Iona was taken inside for the honours. When the vet came out she said she had to create the local surgeries vaccination card with the details as she is not allowed to enter the vaccination in the EU pet passport as the vaccination record will not be recognised when returning to Europe. She said when we go back to the continent we will have to get the AHC (animal health certificate) I asked why is everyone presenting themselves with their dogs with a AHC then getting an EU Pet Passport ? The answer was you can only record vaccinations administered in Europe (EU member states) into a EU Pet Passport. So what is the point when you are only allowed 90 days generally then getting the EU Pet Passport ? Maybe there are other circumstances I have missed.
FYI I was quoted 140 pound for the AHC..... rip off or what.

atb

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We left but your dog remained and has an EU passport. It’s a bit like your passport running out and asking the French to renew it. I sympathise but it is what it is.
Your dog doesn’t need a visit to a Vet to return to France it’s all set having the EU passport.

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
From 1/1/2021 UK vets could not make any valid entry into an EU pet passport other than worming. People with an EU passport usually intend to have the Rabies vaccine boosters done in the EU so that they can be entered in the passport. It saves you having to get An AHC each time.
BTW £140 is cheap. £250 is common.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Your vet was correct! And I don't always say that.
Why are people getting the EU pet passports?
Because they time their visits to the continent and get the pets rabies booster administered while there. If you get a booster that last three years that's three years you do not need to fork out for an AHC.
It seems you need an AHC this time because the rabies booster has lapsed?
When you go over try not to get an official EU booster in the passport too soon,for your pets health, too many jabs are not great.
And your vet was good but keep your EU pet passport away from any less clued up non EU vet practices. Janie

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I think the vets hate doing the AHC paperwork.

I am taking our dog to a new vet to us, for her annual boosters and we got talking about motorhomes etc and she was asking about the countries we have visited with the the dog. After telling her all the places we had been she said " please tell me you have a EU pet passport" when I said yes she replied "thank goodness for that, I was dreading you asking me to do a AHC".

Apparently it took her husband (also a vet) 2 days to complete his first one and all the time he was doing that he wasn't treating other animals. I personally can see why they are so expensive.

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
It took my vet (very experienced and the head of multiple practice branches) two days to do my dogs AHC at the beginning of August. She went through it several times herself (said shed lost quite a bit of sleep over it), then with a colleague and then with me, where we went through an AHC checklist I found on the web; never done so much work for the £130 fee she charged. She was still worried to death it might have a mistake in it and was half expecting a call from me when trying to get through the Tunnel. The lady at Pet Reception at Eurotunnel said it was excellent, a perfect example, and I should congratulate the vet! She was thrilled when I told her but her parting words were "Please... get a Euro Passport when in France". We did!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

I am taking our dog to a new vet to us, for her annual boosters and we got talking about motorhomes etc and she was asking about the countries we have visited with the the dog. After telling her all the places we had been she said " please tell me you have a EU pet passport" when I said yes she replied "thank goodness for that, I was dreading you asking me to do a AHC".

Apparently it took her husband (also a vet) 2 days to complete his first one and all the time he was doing that he wasn't treating other animals. I personally can see why they are so expensive.

It took my vet (very experienced and the head of multiple practice branches) two days to do my dogs AHC at the beginning of August. She went through it several times herself (said shed lost quite a bit of sleep over it), then with a colleague and then with me, where we went through an AHC checklist I found on the web; never done so much work for the £130 fee she charged. She was still worried to death it might have a mistake in it and was half expecting a call from me when trying to get through the Tunnel. The lady at Pet Reception at Eurotunnel said it was excellent, a perfect example, and I should congratulate the vet! She was thrilled when I told her but her parting words were "Please... get a Euro Passport when in France". We did!
This is my daughter’s experience too. She cannot do them herself as she is not on the “official” list but plenty of her friends and colleagues are being asked to do them and report the same as above.
She says that they cannot do them economically (whatever some people think about rip offs). I told her about the reported one in Portsmouth who have a dedicated system for travellers through the port and she thinks that that is the best way forward.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Mine have Spanish passports ..the last rabies jab was done in august 2020 and is valid 3 years ...my worry is when im next in europe not being able to get a 3 year one done when im there ....theres no guarantee ill be in EU every year

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
The vet I used for the passport in Arras said there is no problem getting the 3 year rabies shot, just ask for it when booking the appointment. It seems its your choice, or what the vet has in stock - hence booking it.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

Having had our AHC done. No problem. 30 minutes at most.
If it took that vet 2 days I smell something. Absolute rubbish.
The op’s vet was correct not to complete the passport if it needed rabies vaccine and they would need an AHC as proof of vaccine admission in the hope they could get a European vet to transfer it to the passport once in EU. Hopefully they had a 3 year rabies.

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
Mine have Spanish passports ..the last rabies jab was done in august 2020 and is valid 3 years ...my worry is when im next in europe not being able to get a 3 year one done when im there ....theres no guarantee ill be in EU every year
Don’t want to worry you!!!!but you may be mistaken!!
I have it in writing that eu Spanish pet passports vaccine is definitely 1 year.
You may now need 2 x AHC to get back into Europe 🇪🇸🇪🇸👍

OP
OP
Neil n Pat
Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
thanks everyone for all the valued information. Unfortunately it was only a one year rabies jab in the EU passport. Looks like we won't be snowbirding for 80 days ( 10 days getting there and back) until next September so another year before the loop jumping. Important to have something to look forward to.

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
I have it in writing that eu Spanish pet passports vaccine is definitely 1 year.
Good morning Deree

If it is only the rabies vaccination you want and a passport it would be 61 euros each.

In the Balearic Islands it is compulsory by law that a rabies vaccination is given once year. They also must have been microchipped first.

You can make an appointment on 971695108

Regards

Reception

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The spanish one is yes ..but the current rabies vaccine was done prior to 1st January 2021 and is valid till 2023 so it should be fine. I will then have to get one done in eu somewhere the start of 2023 and try and get a 3 year one.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
There are reports on the Animal Health Certificate FB group, of some Spanish vets giving the 3-year vaccination. I belive it varies by region.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Got our AHC from Best Friends in Peterborough. Hours to fill in? Maybe number one but this vet took the best part of twenty minutes and that included him asking where we were going, scanning the chip and asking about rabies jab( which they had done earlier in the year) and then asking us to wait. 20 minutes and £160 later!!! £480 per hour not bad work if you can get it!! Are we really being asked to believe that professional, intelligent people cannot fill a form in? Bet they manage their tax return!!

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I saw the vet for 5 minutes when getting my dog’s AHC. The practice manager and done all the admin work already and then completed it for me to collect the next day. The vet was really grumpy moaning about the AHC and DEFRA.
Apparently due to the increase in pet ownership during lockdown vets are really busy and stressed, completing an AHC is probably the last thing they want to do.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
I found this on the net , looks like 1st jab is 1 year then booster lasts 3 years
https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Spain.cfm

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp

The vet I used did a vital part of the AHCin about 5 minutes,. He then handed the papers to the administrator who did the rest very competently.

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I think that some vets are maxing out on this. I know they are very busy, very highly qualified and prefer to be treating animals rather than using pens. But, I just paid around £300 for AHCs for two dogs that have full records of treatments and vaccinations at the same Vet. I could have completed the AHC form in 5 minutes flat - as could any good admin assistant - just requiring final signatures from the professionals. On top of this, I asked if they could could retain the base information on a computer? (modern device) so that the next one wouldn't cost so much. No was the answer. The next certificate (8 weeks after the last one) would cost the same. As loving owners of our VIPS I think we need to part company with this national chain of pet lovers.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think that some vets are maxing out on this. I know they are very busy, very highly qualified and prefer to be treating animals rather than using pens. But, I just paid around £300 for AHCs for two dogs that have full records of treatments and vaccinations at the same Vet. I could have completed the AHC form in 5 minutes flat - as could any good admin assistant - just requiring final signatures from the professionals. On top of this, I asked if they could could retain the base information on a computer? (modern device) so that the next one wouldn't cost so much. No was the answer. The next certificate (8 weeks after the last one) would cost the same. As loving owners of our VIPS I think we need to part company with this national chain of pet lovers.
Get yourself an eu passport

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I have thought about EU passports from another country in the EU, but am put off by the fact that our highly qualified vets in the UK cannot make valid entries in their EU passports. I had a quote from a vet in Spain which looked reasonable, but I would need a rabies vac there then and every year there in Spain. My dogs are already vaxed to the eyeballs. In the end I prefer to trust my local vet for their healthcare. The dogs' health and wellbeing needs to come first before my travel convenience.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have thought about EU passports from another country in the EU, but am put off by the fact that our highly qualified vets in the UK cannot make valid entries in their EU passports. I had a quote from a vet in Spain which looked reasonable, but I would need a rabies vac there then and every year there in Spain. My dogs are already vaxed to the eyeballs. In the end I prefer to trust my local vet for their healthcare. The dogs' health and wellbeing needs to come first before my travel convenience.
I just got a greek one done today ....3 year rabies vaccination . €15 for the passport , €30 for rabies and dhpp vaccinations.. my other 2 dogs are on Spanish passports also with a 3 year rabies vaccination . Its only spanish vets that do it every year . But as long as its an eu entry it doesn't matter.

Makes more sense than going through all that ahc nonsense

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Just got 2 in Portugal Yesterday, €18 each, transfered the remaining 22 months of the UK Rabies onto the them...

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
The spanish one is yes ..but the current rabies vaccine was done prior to 1st January 2021 and is valid till 2023 so it should be fine. I will then have to get one done in eu somewhere the start of 2023 and try and get a 3 year one.
Most Vets above Benidorm will do 3yr rabies jabs, as far enough away from Morocco Apparently...

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
So who do you trust if something happens to one of your dogs while on your travels in the EU ? or do you wait until your back in the UK for treatment from Your Highly Qualified Vet in the UK... Asking for a Friend...

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
So who do you trust if something happens to one of your dogs while on your travels in the EU ? or do you wait until your back in the UK for treatment from Your Highly Qualified Vet in the UK.
Of course I would trust the local vet wherever we are. My rather clumsy point is that my vet is around the corner from my home in the UK and I spend most of my time at that address and spend most of my pet care budget there. Until last year my vet's authority to sign the passport declarations was recognised across every country in the EU. Since BR..IT their EU recognised standards and expertise have effectively been downgraded because of the of the UK's new status. So if I do opt for a passport from an EU country on the cheap I fear that when at home, If I need urgent care for either of them, I will get the "I told you so about non-UK vet commercial priorities...." It could be that I am just being a bit paranoid about this?? I just know that I am being charged an arm and a leg for pet travel since BR..IT.
I would be very interested to hear about other members experiences with their vets on this subject.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back