Hartal Flyscreen door repair (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
After spending the last 2 days scratching my head as to how to fix our Hartal Flyscreen on the habitation door and after 3 Strip downs we have finally fixed the Flyscreen!
The strip down probably involved drilling out 10 or so rivets and unscrewing a couple of screws, this in total was probably less than 30 minutes.
The main issue was determining the direction of the pulley string setup and this is what I did wrong on the first 2 occasions.
The first thing to remember is the top string controls the bottom two strings and the bottom string controls the top two strings.
The second point is the joint in the string must be in the top left and bottom left of main draw section (above the first hole in both cases). I used a boot lace crimp tool and also added superglue to piece the string.
When re threading the plastic handle (the bit you hold when you close the blind) you need to ensure that none of the string gets caught up (there’s a small channel that the strings sit in).
Once you have built the blind back up, you will need to tension the string to ensure smooth operation. The top string is easy to retention using a small allan key. The bottom string is slightly more fiddly as it’s just a tie knot! We used a piece of tape to hold the string so we could test it. Once happy with the closing we tied a knot and trimmed the excess string.
Prior to starting the repair I wrote to Hartel in Germany and asked if they could supply repair instructions and after I had finished the repair I received a “general” diagram which they informed me was all that they could provide me without knowing the exact model.
In total including removal, repair and refitting I believe the job could be done in about 5 hours.
If I can answer any questions please let me know.
38DAA2F5-A506-4AE7-83CC-4C3125DBD357.jpeg
8F62078E-4219-4201-A32A-007BD60626E6.jpeg
346CF0B0-C568-4642-9FFC-55A495D26B40.jpeg
F02D401A-8630-4314-836F-FA4E4C047963.png

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Our hab door flyscreen has a frayed top chord probably caused by something sharp in the carcass somewhere. Fortunately we discovered this when the van was 6 months old so under warranty. It's going back to the dealers later this month for replacement, not repair. We reported this last November and it has taken three months for the replacement to arrive from Carthago. The dealer has quoted 4 hours to replace. It looks like a fair bit of the surrounding "furniture" will need removing as the frame sits behind this.

On our last van (a Burstner) the hab door had a rubbish bin attached and if the door was not well secured it could close on a closed flyscreen. Which it did a few times. Unfortunately the bottom clip (seen in the second photo above) broke and a replacemnt was obtained from Camper UK. Nearly £40 delivered for a small piece of plastic!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
After spending the last 2 days scratching my head as to how to fix our Hartal Flyscreen on the habitation door and after 3 Strip downs we have finally fixed the Flyscreen!
The strip down probably involved drilling out 10 or so rivets and unscrewing a couple of screws, this in total was probably less than 30 minutes.
The main issue was determining the direction of the pulley string setup and this is what I did wrong on the first 2 occasions.
The first thing to remember is the top string controls the bottom two strings and the bottom string controls the top two strings.
The second point is the joint in the string must be in the top left and bottom left of main draw section (above the first hole in both cases). I used a boot lace crimp tool and also added superglue to piece the string.
When re threading the plastic handle (the bit you hold when you close the blind) you need to ensure that none of the string gets caught up (there’s a small channel that the strings sit in).
Once you have built the blind back up, you will need to tension the string to ensure smooth operation. The top string is easy to retention using a small allan key. The bottom string is slightly more fiddly as it’s just a tie knot! We used a piece of tape to hold the string so we could test it. Once happy with the closing we tied a knot and trimmed the excess string.
Prior to starting the repair I wrote to Hartel in Germany and asked if they could supply repair instructions and after I had finished the repair I received a “general” diagram which they informed me was all that they could provide me without knowing the exact model.
In total including removal, repair and refitting I believe the job could be done in about 5 hours.
If I can answer any questions please let me know.View attachment 871446View attachment 871443View attachment 871444View attachment 871445

I have posted repairing Hartal door screens a few times on Fun before and here is one of them with info that may have helped you.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Did it on my first van years ago easy once you have realised how simple it is.
On my current van I've had to do similar to repair the windscreen privatcy blind.

OP
OP
Jim Schush
Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
I have posted repairing Hartal door screens a few times on Fun before and here is one of them with info that may have helped you.

Thanks for your original post, I purchased the exact Kevlar string and Crimper kit as per your suggestion.
I am pleased I had a go at it, now I need to work out if I can retention one of our roofblinds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Our strings broke on the last trip. Had to wait until we got home to strip down.
Used Lenny HB tip of Kevlar Kite string to re string it.
Not the easiest of jobs but satisfying to have it back in place.

OP
OP
Jim Schush
Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
Which make and model of roof blinds are you wanting to retention Jim?
Its a Dometic midi Heligan?, the blackout blind is fine but the Flyscreen section as begun to Sag slightly. It’s the bigger blind above the kitchen.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back