reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Baked potatoes can be done in the slow cooker - as can cakes.

Yum.
My slow cooker was freecycled along with bread maker as they weren't getting used - the usual reason for me, poor results.
I didn't know you could cook jackets and cake in a slow cooker.
Tonight's chicken and roasties in the halogen were Ok but a lot of fuss and would definitely have been easier in the main oven.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
No, I didn't know about cakes and jacket spuds, will have to have a google:)

To be honest I wouldn't normally expect to bake a cake when we're away

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
For potatoes I usually rub them with oil and salt, stab a few times, wrap in foil and put them in. They take around 6 hours I think.... first 30 to 60 minutes on high and then on low but sometimes i forget to turn it down. The skins don't go crispy like they do in a normal oven but they are still very nice.

Here is a link to a site with cake recipes:

http://www.bakingqueen74.co.uk/?page_id=214

and I got a free (or cheap) ebook with recipes.

It's worth a try!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Must admit to being taken in by the halogen claims - carted it around in the caravan for a couple of years and haven't put it in the camper yet. Jury is still out.

Not sure what shape other peoples are but ours was like a large bowl shape with the cooker element in the lid.

Whenever I tried to check what I was cooking the sloping bottom meant the rack was always tipping sideways and dumping the food into the bottom:wasntme:

Got a bit too frustrating.:banghead:
Just been thinking about your tipping problem ... what about a silicon heat mat in the bottom of the bowl - that should solve the 'slipping' problem.(y)

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Why is my pic on this thread?(n)(n)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Just been thinking about your tipping problem ... what about a silicon heat mat in the bottom of the bowl - that should solve the 'slipping' problem.(y)

Ah now that sounds like it's worth trying thanks - I'll give it a go. I've recently put one of the Aldi silicone shelf protectors in the oven and it's been great, not burnt myself since(y)

Why is my pic on this thread?(n)(n)

Not sure what you mean - are you referring to your pic (avatar) showing in the bottom right of the persons avatar when viewing the forum/recent list? If so it means you've posted on that particular thread(y)

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Bought my halogen oven in Lidl a couple of years ago and didn't get on with it and it joined a lot of other items bought and never used. Hubby was once again right with the 'you'll never use it' comment (smug b...er :smirk:) Then whilst surfing youtube found a couple who video themselves cooking with their halogen oven and had an epiphany (sad but true :winky:) saw how simple it is to use and gave it another go, brilliant. Together with my double skillet I now have the perfect catering set-up in the van. On the upside it means I can wipe the smug 'I told you so' look off hubby's face on the downside it means I have no reason not to cook in the van. So goodbye eating out, fish 'n chips, cuppa soup and quick snacks. Hello healthy, tasty, cheap meals :clap: :angel:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Have been reading this thread with interest as we have recently bought an Andrew James Halogen Oven. Have done a few meals with mixed results but halogen cooking is different to 'normal' cooking, so it's going to take a while to get used to. Have found a terrific web site that shows how to cook a number of different meals. Here it is: - Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Well I'm persevering with mine at home with some better results - I still find it fiddly though. The silicon mat at the bottom seems like a good idea. I'm now thinking a mini-oven may have been a better bet....note to self, do more research and stop impulse- buying.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Bought my halogen oven in Lidl a couple of years ago and didn't get on with it and it joined a lot of other items bought and never used. Hubby was once again right with the 'you'll never use it' comment (smug b...er :smirk:) Then whilst surfing youtube found a couple who video themselves cooking with their halogen oven and had an epiphany (sad but true :winky:) saw how simple it is to use and gave it another go, brilliant. Together with my double skillet I now have the perfect catering set-up in the van. On the upside it means I can wipe the smug 'I told you so' look off hubby's face on the downside it means I have no reason not to cook in the van. So goodbye eating out, fish 'n chips, cuppa soup and quick snacks. Hello healthy, tasty, cheap meals :clap: :angel:

Sounds good - I'm really missing a grill as our TEC tower js oven only - do you have a link at all please?

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Have been reading this thread with interest as we have recently bought an Andrew James Halogen Oven. Have done a few meals with mixed results but halogen cooking is different to 'normal' cooking, so it's going to take a while to get used to. Have found a terrific web site that shows how to cook a number of different meals. Here it is: - Broken Link Removed
I,ve got an Andrew James also,Only got it for a whole chicken and it does that very well,I turn it at about 45 mins.I,ve only used it at home so far,we took it away with us this year but never got the opportunity to use it in anger.This looks a good link thanks.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Thank's Debs,so it only shows on my page then? There's me thinking everyone could see it and thought I was being pushy.I really must stop being so paranoid.:swear2:

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Sounds good - I'm really missing a grill as our TEC tower js oven only - do you have a link at all please?
I haven't got a link but if you google Youtube cooking with a halogen oven loads comes up and the couple I found have quite a few demonstrations on there Good luck:smiley:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I haven't got a link but if you google Youtube cooking with a halogen oven loads comes up and the couple I found have quite a few demonstrations on there Good luck:smiley:
Thankyou, I'll have a search(y) Going to look for a silicone mat this morning too.

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: Just had a quick google and if it helps, the couple I watched are dereton33. I've just watched them making a beef caserole and it looks delicious so I'm off to the shops for ingrediants :smiley:

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I've just watched them making a beef caserole and it looks delicious so I'm off to the shops for ingrediants :smiley:
I'll be interested to know how you get on, the veg in my casserole were hard despite cutting small. I've watched dereton & seem to recall they do a fair bit of pre-cooking. Hope yours turns out better than mine!
Karen

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Ok so I've got a silicon thing but I'm unsure about the symbols on the back, they couldn't help in the shop anyone got a clue please? The middle one looks a but like a halogen to me?
IMG_20141208_130515.jpg

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
I'll be interested to know how you get on, the veg in my casserole were hard despite cutting small. I've watched dereton & seem to recall they do a fair bit of pre-cooking. Hope yours turns out better than mine!
Karen

:smiley: Will do and will use 'ingredients' ha ha ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Ok so I've got a silicon thing but I'm unsure about the symbols on the back, they couldn't help in the shop anyone got a clue please? The middle one looks a but like a halogen to me
Try
master cuisine.eu then catalogue then symbols
Sorry can't paste the link
Karen

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks for this - I haven't a clue what the left and right symbols are but the middle looks like the 3rd one down iyswim:LOL: which is not suitable for electric cooker:confused:

Think I'm just going to have to try it aren't I?

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I exactly swym :) And agree, don't use in electric oven. Also maybe keep away from paper clips ??

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Ok so I've got a silicon thing but I'm unsure about the symbols on the back, they couldn't help in the shop anyone got a clue please? The middle one looks a but like a halogen to me?
View attachment 49223
Middle symbol looks a bit like electric cooker unsafe (other sites say electric element)

The first symbol looks blurred but could be a gas jet?

A bit like the one shown here (part way down the page)?

http://www.nutrimaxorganic.com/cookware/classica_gold_cookware_benefits.html

I am guessing that they might mean not for putting on gas, electric or induction rings.

But that is just a guess!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Middle symbol looks a bit like electric cooker unsafe (other sites say electric element)

The first symbol looks blurred but could be a gas jet?

A bit like the one shown here (part way down the page)?

http://www.nutrimaxorganic.com/cookware/classica_gold_cookware_benefits.html

I am guessing that they might mean not for putting on gas, electric or induction rings.

But that is just a guess!
I can see that it wouldn't be a good idea for direct heat Mrs P, do you think halogen counts because I'm confused:confused: Saying that the silicone shelf edges that I've put in the gas oven work really well.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I thought the first two were the direct heat rings (gas and old style electric) and sort of obvious - but hey, coffee cups say contents might be hot and bags of cashews say contain nuts so it wouldn't surprise me.

I think I would be tempted to try it and maybe put some baking paper underneath and the rack legs on foil to protect bowl and rack just in case. Put the oven on, with nothing in it, at 180 for a few minutes watching it carefully so you can switch off fast and just see what happens.

It's not as if it is in contact with anything like a gas flame after all.

It says it is for food use (the knife and fork symbol) - the only thing you might want to sniff for are nasty fumes - but they are used in ovens (I have silicon cookware and very good it is) so it should be fine.

I'm just saying what I would do and accept no liability if it goes 'orribly wrong.

Dr Wolfenstein

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
we are newbies
Remoska, Remoska, Remoska ......... Out cooks everything else, if you don't have a van oven that is.

We have a Remoska and a slow cooker in our van and no oven. Between these two I can cook anything that I could in a house. When not on EHU I have a double skillet and really good quality saucpans. Slow cook joints can be done outside on the Cadac (in nice weather) and the slow cooker works on the inverter whilst driving.

Had a halagoen but as the non-qualified Toots said, you need welding glasses when it's in use. Plus they take up as a lot of room, I ended up giving it away.
Can we get one in Portugal ??

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I thought the first two were the direct heat rings (gas and old style electric) and sort of obvious - but hey, coffee cups say contents might be hot and bags of cashews say contain nuts so it wouldn't surprise me.

I think I would be tempted to try it and maybe put some baking paper underneath and the rack legs on foil to protect bowl and rack just in case. Put the oven on, with nothing in it, at 180 for a few minutes watching it carefully so you can switch off fast and just see what happens.

It's not as if it is in contact with anything like a gas flame after all.

It says it is for food use (the knife and fork symbol) - the only thing you might want to sniff for are nasty fumes - but they are used in ovens (I have silicon cookware and very good it is) so it should be fine.

I'm just saying what I would do and accept no liability if it goes 'orribly wrong.
Thankyou - I'll have a play in the next day or two(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back