Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Hi all,
I never take interest in this gauge on the right as it's always in the middle (zero), however, I see it's in the red now but I don't know what it is???
Can you ID it??? .......Photo attached

Attachments

• IMG_20201217_220643907.jpg
    IMG_20201217_220643907.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 507

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
looks like something is drawing a current

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It's an ammeter, displays the current input or output of the battery.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
When you plug it into ehu it will swing over to the right and into the green.
Have you never noticed it before ?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Strom = current (as in Maelstrom). Elektrischer Strom = Electric current. Spannung = voltage.

Netzstrom = Mains Electricity. Often abbreviated to just Strom, so it may get translated as just electricity. As in 'der Strom ist kaput' when the hookup post trips.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
When you plug it into ehu it will swing over to the right and into the green.
Have you never noticed it before ?
*Thanks everyone for the feedback*
I've only plugged into electricity twice in 5yrs and vaguely recall it going into the green???. It's steady on 5 amps out as in the photo, so I must be losing current somewhere...I think it best to book it in to a auto elect to find the source, I did fit a new battery a few weeks ago and had thought it was discharging quickly but with this weather and restricted travel ???
Do you think 5amp warrants a trip to the auto electrician?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5a is a big discharge current, look for something left turned on. An old light with incandescent bulb or fridge etc

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
5 amps is a big discharge something is switched on

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
TheBig1 beat me too it...

i would start by switching things on and then making sure they are properly switched off. auto electrician is going to do the same thing before checking anything else..

also check you battery status of hab and cab. maybe plug into ehu to charge batteries, then look again at discharge rate.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Do you think 5amp warrants a trip to the auto electrician?
Not yet, but I do think you need to do a good search about for the power drain. :(

I got caught out once by leaving the garage light on for days (5w festoon bulb), which I later changed for an LED bulb, (along wither every other single bulb inside our Hymer). Luckily enough for me, I found the culprit before it drained the batteries too much.

The needle should return to the middle, with the 12v power isolated, with the switch in the off (down) position. In the meantime, plug in and charge up. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I've only plugged into electricity twice in 5yrs and vaguely recall it going into the green???.
So how do you give the batteries a regular conditioning charge, if not using the onboard 3-4 stage charger?
Are you relying on an aftermarket Battery to Battery charger? Solar charging alone, won't keep the batteries in tip top condition.

Cheers,

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
There have been many threads about 'ghost' discharges. What I remember from one of them is to switch everything off, if it's still showing a 5a discharge, remove and replace fuses one by one until the discharge stops. Then you know which item is causing the discharge.

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Thanks Igwe, I'll try that before I book it in at the garage šŸ¤”šŸ™„
Ps....I do only rely in solar and long runs to charge, not sure if there is an onboard charger??? It's a Hymer B584 2001 model...will one be fitted as standard???

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Ps....I do only rely in solar and long runs to charge, not sure if there is an onboard charger??? It's a Hymer B584 2001 model...will one be fitted as standard???
I know precious little about Hymers but, I'd be very surprised that the model you have, even if 19 years old, doesn't have an onboard charger.
I'm sure many of the lucky Hymer owners will be along soon to answer that definitively.
I'm not bitter, honest! šŸ˜€

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The battery companies just love customers like you, plenty of repeat business

Solar works well with bright sunlight, so this far north of the equator within days of the winter solstice and it's shortest day of the year, you will be getting nothing from it. You need a proper maintenance charge

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Your Hymer will have a 3 x stage mains charger installed, either in the form of an Elektroblok EBL 99 or an EBL 105, (or similar). It looks like one of these.

1608321919611.png

If operating correctly, as soon as you plug in to the EHU, it should immediately start charging your leisure batteries, and then go on to charge your starter battery, all at the correct voltages to ensure correct charging.
Without these correct charging regimes, like TheBig1 John suggests, battery suppliers love folks like you, always having to renew your batteries sooner than required. šŸ˜•

Cheers,

Jock. šŸ™‚

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
After taking a short drive to dump grey water, I started by removing the first two fusses (yellow in the photo) and after the first two it was resolved, couldn't believe my luck!
After a run and shower it was back on 5amps and removing the same fusses didn't work, so removed all one by one, no result. After turning a few things on and off while watching the gauge I discovered that the electric steps were getting quite a reaction, increasing up to 10amps before settling at 5 again ???.....I can't find the fuse for the steps to test it though ,??? But I think there lies the problem will lubricate it tomorrow see if it helps.
Thanks for this info Jock, now I have a charger.

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_103545791.jpg
    IMG_20201219_103545791.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
After taking a short drive to dump grey water, I started by removing the first two fusses (yellow in the photo) and after the first two it was resolved, couldn't believe my luck!
After a run and shower it was back on 5amps and removing the same fusses didn't work, so removed all one by one, no result. After turning a few things on and off while watching the gauge I discovered that the electric steps were getting quite a reaction, increasing up to 10amps before settling at 5 again ???.....I can't find the fuse for the steps to test it though ,???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The step shouldn't consume ANY power when it's parked either in or out.
It will only use power when moving.
BUT..... I wonder if there's a step light which may not be turning off.

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
There is no light on the steps, only an alarm that sounds when the engine starts and it's still down. Is there a fire risk with this kind of fault?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
There is no light on the steps, only an alarm that sounds when the engine starts and it's still down. Is there a fire risk with this kind of fault?
The inner step light is operated from a switch next to the step switch. It can be easily knocked on unfortunately. :(

Cheers,

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The fuse for the step is the 25A, 2nd from the left, labelled Grundlicht/Trittstufe. It protects the step (Tritt) and the step light (Licht).

The 'always on' circuits go through the 6-way connector (Block 4). This includes the step, step light, heater control board and frost protection valve. To remove the connector, squeeze to release the two latches and pull. To reconnect, it only fits one way so you can't go wrong. When the frost protection valve loses power, it dumps the water in the water heater.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Thanks for that autorouter, I'm going to put English labels on it today. I did notice that there is only a 10amp fuse on the steps but it is operating ok?
*Update* So...yesterday the Strom gauge went to zero again and in the afternoon went to 0.25 into the green sector, so I'm assuming that was input from the solar panel? It's back to zero today and holding steady.
Thanks to everyone for your input and educating me yet againšŸ¤”......and saving me a few Ā£Ā£Ā£šŸ™‚
*Charging*.........I'm going to plug in to my daughter's house to boost the batteries as advised, how long should I give it for a full charge? And how many times a year, this is my first winter home in 5 years, so solar and travel time are "rare"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back