Habitation,Full Service, MOT, the van I am about to purchase {albeit, the tests need to be done,}before I part with my lives savings. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Does anyone, know of a person, that can do everything under one roof. The van at present is in Shotley Ipswich, and without these tests, I will not part with my life savings. I have 14 days to get all these test analysed, then to purchase the van, or loose it ! So it needs to be done next week Guys ? thank you for all your helps caroline

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Ipswich Truck services would do the service and get the MOT done at Norfolk line Trucks, but you would need to get it too Great Blakenham. They have a recovery arm but they wouldn't be cheap.

Habitation wise the guy I use is independent and good. I am not at home and don't have his number in my phone. Should be able o post it sometime after lunch.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Does anyone, know of a person, that can do everything under one roof. The van at present is in Shotley Ipswich, and without these tests, I will not part with my life savings. I have 14 days to get all these test analysed, then to purchase the van, or loose it ! So it needs to be done next week Guys ? thank you for all your helps caroline
Sounds like fear factor selling to me .have they taken off sale ?
If they have I understand the time limit seems to me you could be pushed into another 'panic' buy
Having followed your previous thread and buying a van not fully checked due to time constraints ate you going down the same route

Take a breath . They want to sell more than you want to buy your the one with options ..thousands of them . If its a private sale they only have one van .

Ps being a 5'2" female with a van travelling solo is not as big a deal as you seem to think there quite a few of us out there, some even shorter than 5'2"

..MHF offers support no matter what your height or sex is

There are quite a few 6' burley blokes that get help when needed :wink:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
We bought our van through a broker and it all sounds very similar. 2008 Boxer based conversion.
We had a 5 hour drive to actually view the van after being sent loads of photos of specific items i asked the broker for.
Admittedly, i do know what to look for when viewing older vehicles. After seeing the photos and checking mot history on line etc ( checking milage history from ine mot.to the next) we viewed it .
Deposit paid.
Arranged to pick up and paid rest on pick up. Had 3 years trouble free( all be it general running costs)

Hope you get it sorted

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I can’t see how you can get it MOT’d without you insuring it and driving yourself

If you have hinted at a £25K price tag it sounds a little over priced to me, a friend has just sold one sounding very similar for £20K

Hab and vehicle service could easily cost close to £1000 but they could be done on their drive if they would let you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Buy yourself a damp meter / pinless off Amazon under £25 and go all around the van with it. Check all around roof and roof lights, all inside of cupboards / all around windows doors etc then along bottom of floors.Any reading below 15 are good 16 to 25 needs investigating and anything above 30 is wet so walk away. While doing your damp checks turn on boiler/fridge/heating/cooker/loo etc make sure they all work - after doing all your checks you should have opened and shut everything and basically you will have found anything that does not work. Don’t take no gas / water for a answer or assume they are not working 😉👍If everything is working then take it for at least half hour test drive that way everything will be at operational temperature. Maybe take to a friendly garage for a mechanic to see if anything looks/feels amiss?
Approx
New fridge from £500 upto £2000
Boiler £500 to £1800
Cooker £250 to £1000
Loo £400 to £500
That’s all to buy not fitting so anything wrong/not working can soon run away with your money 💰

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It needs to be immaculate if it’s 25k for 2002 Autotrail private sale and you are having to do all the checks
Having said that the older AT Models are well built in my opinion so that’s a positive.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had a Mercedes 2.7 great engine but ..... I was always concerned about the sprint shift gear box although it was never a problem in the 5 years we had it, if this one has a manual gear box no problem, as said rust is a common problem, and autotrail are known for damp, but saying that our first motorhome in 2007 was a 10 year old swift kontiki and they always said leaky kontiki but our was dry. 😁

Probably better to google a local mobil person to do a habitation check. 🤔
There is a chap called Tony Sparrow that worked for Stowmarket caravans and after they closed he started on his own. 😀
Bob.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I was just curious and looked Simon Select and he has a 2007 Auto trail that’s done 30,000 miles and is 29,950. It is a manual and I don’t think it’s a Merc but it just gives a bit of perspective perhaps. Tracker EKS lo-line model

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Have a look on Auto trader - a lot cheaper on price but you still have the problem of not sure about what you’re buying. My above post is still relevant on anything you’re thinking of buying and a damp meter is a must have to check any van INCLUDING vans bought off traders 😉

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
I hope you are getting the seller to pay for these items. That’s assuming you’re successful in finding some on red to do them.

Does the vehicle have current hab and mot, but getting close to expiring, and you prefer new 12 months.
Yes MOT expires in August. So it's a full service it hasn't had in 2 years, as owner is a mechanic n done it himself. No habitation check as it hasn't been in road for a while so they didn't bother, due to ill health.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
My feeling is it should be sold with a long MOT as a minimum.
I can see why you would want a hab check done, but a full base vehicle service ? That could cost 1k, you don't own the vehicle and it isn't really going to tell you very much.
Save your cash and get it serviced when you've bought it if everything else checks out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Have a look on Auto trader - a lot cheaper on price but you still have the problem of not sure about what you’re buying. My above post is still relevant on anything you’re thinking of buying and a damp meter is a must have to check any van INCLUDING vans bought off traders 😉
Thank you. Yes did damp metre test, took 30 minutes with it n highest reading was 7.5.
Thank you for yr concerns

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
sorry why?

Just because I am being cautious? Motorhome.com are brokers, it is not in their best interest as a multimillion brokerage, to take on a vehicle, that is NOT suitable for selling, with a comeback, and bad feedback on this site!

They have said that habitation mot etc were done last year, and all ok, with invoices to prove that. but that was LAST YEAR, and it has been standing around for over a year, not used, due to owner's bad health problems,

So as I said, being bitten by last hm, bought from a reputable dealership, with all test certificates, it still broke down each week, with gear problems, and I had to return the darn van, but it took 6 months to get my money back. So DO NOT WANT to go through that painful episode ever again. But STILL want my ADVENTURE
Question would the previous vans gearbox issue have been identified by Hab, MOT, Service?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
My feeling is it should be sold with a long MOT as a minimum.
I can see why you would want a hab check done, but a full base vehicle service ? That could cost 1k, you don't own the vehicle and it isn't really going to tell you very much.
Save your cash and get it serviced when you've bought it if everything else checks out.
Thank you for advise , I'll see what my engineer son in law says? It is ME being quite worried due to past experience really, n I'm hoping these worries are pointless, but truly appreciate EVERYONES CONCERNS, as this is what this forum is all about after all!. Apt is 4.30 today wish me luck. But will walk away if there is any issues at all

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
There are a couple of things you could check out

Homestead Caravns they sell swift motorhomes and may be able to help or direct you for a hab check.

There is a Fiat dealer D Salmi. along the same road who could carry out the MOT

Alternatively and a little further away is Cranham Caravans Hatfield peveral

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Spending your own money repeating year old Hab, MOT, Service etc will not eliminate the potential of issues in a 22 year old van, presuming as others you mean a 2002 Mochican not a 2022.
As with the existing Hab, Mot, Service you will be trusting a "stranger" to tell you all is ok or not.
What benchmans have you set yourself to walk away if test find issues?
Personnaly I think you would be better investing in a professional inspection and that is not the AA believe me.
There may even be someone on the forum qualified.

A question is would the previous vans gearbox issue have been identified by Hab, MOT, Service?
Thank you for all that advise. If yr saying a professional advisory is wise? BUT NOT AA, what other organisation would you recommend, as the AA N RAC were my first pit stops ?
So kind of u for yr help

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp

Homestead Caravns they sell swift motorhomes and may be able to help or direct you for a hab check.

Thank you guys for the above, you ALL SO KIND WITH YR TIME DURING BHs too!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If the owner is a mechanic that has done his own servicing that could be a good thing ?
He's likely given it far more care and attention than it'd get at a garage.
On the other hand he may have been a bodger 😂

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp

Thank you for above, do kind of you! I'll look into these today, before 2nd visit with son in law

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
If the owner is a mechanic that has done his own servicing that could be a good thing ?
He's likely given it far more care and attention than it'd get at a garage.
On the other hand he may have been a bodger 😂
Yeah! I know, a difficult decision. I air in, no one would drive his own van ,if turfed bodged it? Or is that me being positive haha

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You could try this place recommended back in 2015 but as others have said, it is up to current owner to get any service/mot done
I second that, they were very good any my previous campers mechanics and sensible prices too

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
S G Servicing from Saffron Walden is NCC approved mobile workshop. He’s been doing my son’s caravan for years and now does my motorhome too in South Essex.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
There's an independent engineer not far from Homestead caravans that I've used. He is actually mobile so might be prepared to travel which would be reflected in the price. He is about 40 miles away from Shotley.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Buy yourself a damp meter / pinless off Amazon under £25 and go all around the van with it. Check all around roof and roof lights, all inside of cupboards / all around windows doors etc then along bottom of floors.Any reading below 15 are good 16 to 25 needs investigating and anything above 30 is wet so walk away. While doing your damp checks turn on boiler/fridge/heating/cooker/loo etc make sure they all work - after doing all your checks you should have opened and shut everything and basically you will have found anything that does not work. Don’t take no gas / water for a answer or assume they are not working 😉👍If everything is working then take it for at least half hour test drive that way everything will be at operational temperature. Maybe take to a friendly garage for a mechanic to see if anything looks/feels amiss?
Approx
New fridge from £500 upto £2000
Boiler £500 to £1800
Cooker £250 to £1000
Loo £400 to £500
Thank you for such a precise reply . I will put this forward to broker on 2nd visit today. Yr kindness on this site is overwhelming. I hope one day I'll meet u all in these rallies I'm looking forward too so much
Thank you guys

That’s all to buy not fitting so anything wrong/not working can soon run away with your money 💰

Question would the previous vans gearbox issue have been identified by Hab, MOT, Service?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
S G Servicing from Saffron Walden is NCC approved mobile workshop. He’s been doing my son’s caravan for years and now does my motorhome too in South Essex.
Ok i will check him out, after recovering from my 89 year olds father tyraid of concerns, an avid motorhomer himself, and travels all around Europe, that DO NOT BUY A VAN AT 20 years old! NEVER! And I wont Support your decision! mmmm Very anxious

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Thank you for such a precise reply . I will put this forward to broker on 2nd visit today. Yr kindness on this site is overwhelming. I hope one day I'll meet u all in these rallies I'm looking forward too so much
Thank you guys
apparently, peugots are renowned for their terrible old gearboxes, and are hard to replace as they are not made anymore ! so service was done at dealership workshop. I am getting one Independantly, on the safe side

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
I'm.going back today with my engineering son in law, to ask these questions?
There is a very strong argument for not having the seller do any tests or checks, there are far more dishonest and illinformed people selling motorhomes than there are good ones.

Your paid for tests would be independent, your testers have no axe to grind either way, this is worth far more than the trying to get the tests and checks done by the seller.

Finally be cautious of paying something north of £20K for a 22 year old Autotrail.

Upvote 0

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
La La Land
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Thank you. Yes did damp metre test, took 30 minutes with it n highest reading was 7.5.
Thank you for yr concerns
Trying to read between the lines here but who did the damp meter readings?

Were the external lockers checked? Just inside the lockers? All around the edges, which are notorious for letting in water.

I wouldn't go and see the van without a meter in your hand and do your own tests. We have looked at many vans and even caravans that are supposedly dry and then you watch the "surprised" look on the dealers and sellers faces when they see your results.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back