Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 3, 2022
Swindon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC- i 680
Exp
I’m a newbie
Just putting together the spec for a new Hymer. Is it worth including a GRP roof? Thanks

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Just putting together the spec for a new Hymer. Is it worth including a GRP roof? Thanks
We included the GRP option when we specced ours - in Germany I don't think you can get insurance without. You could argue that we don't get the same sort of regular hailstorms that they do in mainland Europe and that if there was damage insurance in the UK would cover the damage. My take is that I would much prefer not to make any vehicle insurance claims unless the sum involved was very significant and the GRP cover might help avoid this.

My only reservation now is that the sheet only covers the flat part of the roof so if the curved part where it joins the vertical is aluminium as well, hail damage could still occur on this area. There is also the extra weight which impacted payload.

Would I tick this box again? Possibly not.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
This has a GRP roof but didn't save it.

Edit: forgot to say the roof was fine 😂

Malibu Body repair5.jpg

Malibu Body repair3.jpg
Malibu Body repair2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our current Hymer has a GRP roof as standard it's not a roof as such just a sheet of 2mm GRP stuck on the flat part of the roof.

Our last Hymer was a Exis I 678 the GRP roof was an option we had it. It added 30 kg to the weight and €650 to the cost.
Not impressed with it, 4 or 5 sheets of 2mm GRP stuck on with 5mm gaps between them with sealant in the gaps that goes manky.

I think the better option would be to have it without then if you get hail damage retrofit it yourself.

Upvote 0

Mrjenben

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
I think the better option would be to have it without then if you get hail damage retrofit it yourself.
Exactly the advice given to us by our supplying dealer (Campirama). Maybe because it was easier for him, but it seemed to make sense to not bother. If it ever gets damaged in future it’s easy enough to have it retrofitted and the cost of it would then be covered by the insurance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Our Geist has GRP on the roof and back wall. They advertise it as hail resistant. Don't know if it's a cheaper variety as it's got a slight texture. The sides are alu sheet. Very smooth... And in the right light you can see every supporting strut and beam through the ripples in the skin. It looks paper thin.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Our Geist has GRP on the roof and back wall. They advertise it as hail resistant. Don't know if it's a cheaper variety as it's got a slight texture. The sides are alu sheet. Very smooth... And in the right light you can see every supporting strut and beam through the ripples in the skin. It looks paper thin.
Our 2005 Hymer was the same, you could see the supporting structure down the sides.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
At Lake Garda a few years ago. After a massive thunder and hailstorm the brand new Hymer next to us had a roof that looked the surface of the moon. Our Autotrail had the cab overhead cracked but obviously that’s to be expected 😂.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our 2005 Hymer was the same, you could see the supporting structure down the sides.
There aren't any supporting structures in a Hymer body. They use a high density foam in the bonded sandwich no supporting timbers at all.
There are some blocks put in where the furniture is fixed that is probably what you could see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
There aren't any supporting structures in a Hymer body. They use a high density foam in the bonded sandwich no supporting timbers at all.
There are some blocks put in where the furniture is fixed that is probably what you could see.
The 2004 S820 you couldn’t see anything it was much more robust.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
Mine has a grp roof the benefit of which has not been evident other than it does not appear to flex when up there cleaning.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Our Winnie has a one piece GRP roof from the back to the front moulding, it's 18 years old without any problems.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
I delivered a new Four Winds RV from Chicago to Las Vegas and when near Oklahoma City had the fun of a storm and incredible hailstones which seriously dented the bonnet, as for the roof I didn’t look , just handed it over and scarpered.
There are no doubt benefits of a glass fibre extra layer on roof.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 3, 2022
Swindon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC- i 680
Exp
I’m a newbie
We included the GRP option when we specced ours - in Germany I don't think you can get insurance without. You could argue that we don't get the same sort of regular hailstorms that they do in mainland Europe and that if there was damage insurance in the UK would cover the damage. My take is that I would much prefer not to make any vehicle insurance claims unless the sum involved was very significant and the GRP cover might help avoid this.

My only reservation now is that the sheet only covers the flat part of the roof so if the curved part where it joins the vertical is aluminium as well, hail damage could still occur on this area. There is also the extra weight which impacted payload.

Would I tick this box again? Possibly not.
Thanks Roger, all taken on board. Much appreciated

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 3, 2022
Swindon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC- i 680
Exp
I’m a newbie
I delivered a new Four Winds RV from Chicago to Las Vegas and when near Oklahoma City had the fun of a storm and incredible hailstones which seriously dented the bonnet, as for the roof I didn’t look , just handed it over and scarpered.
There are no doubt benefits of a glass fibre extra layer on roof.
Thanks Larry

Upvote 0

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Had the GRP extra roof covering on our last Hymer and also specified it on our recently collected Hymer, yes it does add some weight, but as its over 3500 kilo, its not really as issue for us.

Upvote 0

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We had significant hail damage to our Hymer a few years back and the only repair offered was a sort of Lino covering which we declined. An ex sailor friend said wait till summer they will all go. Explaining that when a battleship got peppered with shell dents they had a spell in the tropics and all the dents popped out. I said ”Oh yes? Pull the other one”. The following August, all the dents except one very large one, popped out and that one is now hardly visible. So if you get hail damage a summer trip to Marocco is the answer. :LOL:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back