Ground spike or other option? (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We're planning ahead to when we can finally get away and wonder what you use to secure your dog outside the motorhome.
Don't want to hold Bruno on a lead all the time so thinking of a spike in the ground unless someone's got a better idea please.

Attachments

• 20210228_185009.jpg
    20210228_185009.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 12
Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
The screw in type are useless for a strong dog - just pull out at the first squirrel or cat! We've got some from Pets at Home. Red with domed head and flange part way down. Hammered well down into the ground. It has a swivel loop to attach the included metal line. Our did bend but held firm. We've got a tow Bar on this motorhome new to us last January so that is the best for our big boy - see if he can pull that outšŸ¤£šŸ¤£

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I have seen a full length of van ,rope held in two ground pins and a lead secured to it this seems to me a better option ,as Dog has more free space .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have seen a full length of van ,rope held in two ground pins and a lead secured to it this seems to me a better option ,as Dog has more free space .

How about the towing eye at the back or front? Just clip a carabiner over it, and save the hassle of stone ground.
Im to slow, barclaybasher beat me to it.

Thatā€™s what we used to do.

Had two boxers attached to it but they were well trained and wouldnā€™t have been running off to test itā€™s security.

Ian

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Following a couple of screw-in type stakes breaking, I got a couple (got two dogs) of straight spikes (see Amazon 'Karlie Feed Stake'). Unless the ground is very hard, they can be just pushed straight down. They've lasted about eight years now, and the only thing I've done to them is replace the top nut with a 'self-locking' one. Just one of these stakes can hold two 30kg excitable golden retrievers.
However, having said all that, if there's a suitable tree or post in the vicinity, then I just wrap a cable around that. The problem with using your vehicle's tow-hook is your dog will be at the back of it whilst you're at the side or front.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
No proper towbar
No that, the eye to be towed is welded to the chassis at the back on one side, and front. Sometimes front you have to screw it in near the bumper. This is more common on cars. Vans usually are welded or bolted to main chassis. My van has them. You donā€™t need a tow bar to be rescued.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I use the electric step or a rock peg on very hard ground and we are using the awning.

Soft ground we use a screw in spike.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
....... We've got a tow Bar on this motorhome new to us last January so that is the best for our big boy - see if he can pull that outšŸ¤£šŸ¤£
As I posted one before, we once drove off with the dog's lead hooked onto the towball. We thought everyone was just being friendly, waving and shouting at us! ( The dog was fine- just a little out of breath!)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Carbine hook on the electric step.

Yes, we use a ā€˜running lineā€™ (held in with normal tent pegs) and use the Carabiner to attach the (extendable) dog lead. This gives the dog a large range of movement and is quick to attach/detach.

Ian

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Our caravaner friends use the gaps/spokes in their alloy wheel to secure the lead to since one of there dogs bolted for a squirrel while attached to the screw in type, it flew out of the ground like a missile, just missed us all and then missed the front of our MH by about 6 inches!

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Ive got the spikes for my 2, but tend to just attach to the alloy wheels now. Far enough apart so the dont tangle together

**NOTE TO SELF...dont forget the dogs before driving home :ROFLMAO:

Aug 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
As I posted one before, we once drove off with the dog's lead hooked onto the towball. We thought everyone was just being friendly, waving and shouting at us! ( The dog was fine- just a little out of breath!)
I did that with a horse tied to the side of the horse box! - luckily I looked in the door mirror and I was driving slowly! Bless him he was just mooching along beside it and no harm donešŸ˜œ

Aug 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
We're planning ahead to when we can finally get away and wonder what you use to secure your dog outside the motorhome.
Don't want to hold Bruno on a lead all the time so thinking of a spike in the ground unless someone's got a better idea please.
Have you managed to get the biting problem under control yet?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
We use the electric step also but Charlie is a Cairn so not going to damage it.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Following a couple of screw-in type stakes breaking, I got a couple (got two dogs) of straight spikes (see Amazon 'Karlie Feed Stake'). Unless the ground is very hard, they can be just pushed straight down. They've lasted about eight years now, and the only thing I've done to them is replace the top nut with a 'self-locking' one. Just one of these stakes can hold two 30kg excitable golden retrievers.
However, having said all that, if there's a suitable tree or post in the vicinity, then I just wrap a cable around that. The problem with using your vehicle's tow-hook is your dog will be at the back of it whilst you're at the side or front.
My thoughts are the same
Have you managed to get the biting problem under control yet?
He's getting better by the day thanks and so are we. Learning to understand his moods and when and why he's going to start with the nipping.
I've also threatened to pull his teeth out.šŸ˜‚

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we have 3 staffies!!! the screw in junk is absolutely dangerous, but i do carry a few 16inch 10mm thick pegs. drive 2 pegs into soft ground at opposing angles with the heads close together and attach to them both. On hard ground I take a spare standard webbing lead and pass it through the wheel and then pass the end through the handle. attach dog's lead to the clip end. The same attaching to the towbar or a mobility scooter

my big boy is so strong that he has snapped a webbing harness. My little boy is a sod if left tethered out and will chew through anything but steel chain "so far"

I sometimes peg a chain down the length of the van and clip the 3 dogs separately along the length, but so they can all reach a big water bowl, but they do get tangled if they get excited

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We have several carabiners attached around the van, one on every side of it in case we need to shift the woofers into the shade.

Most of ours have been on the van for several years, only 2 were nicked once when we were back in the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back