Greetings Wildax owners out there (1 Viewer)

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We will be taking delivery of a Europa on March 1st, a downsize for us from a 7 metre Burstner gin palace with a huge full width garage and a drop down bed. OH has decided that he doesn't want the hassle of applying for C1 on his licence when it is due for renewal again in November, and as the Burstner was over 3500kg it was either move on or muggins would be doing all the driving. We only started looking into the practicalities of downsizing to a panel van a couple of weeks ago at the motorhome show at Westpoint (Exeter). We really liked the Wildax on display and as we now have a Wildax dealer in Devon it made sense to put that on a short list.

There just happened to be an unregistered Europa already built, that was available immediately due to bereavement before delivery, so we have managed to do a deal on that one. It arrived at Highbridge this week and we went up to look it over. It has a spec higher than we would have opted for, but has everything we would have chosen ourselves.

@MyrtleGuru has already given me some useful tips, any others gratefully received. One thing we did notice yesterday that there doesn't seem to be any storage lockers long enough for levellers or our folding outdoor chairs. as the locker accessed through the rear door is split into 3 compartments.

Our new van is black and looks like a stealth bomber beside all the big white boxes lined up in the yard, OH said we won't be getting waved at in future as we don't stick out as a motorhome.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Not sure if yours is configured differently, but on our Europa when you open the back doors at the top there is a long storage shelf that we fit two folding chairs, walking poles and a long-handled squeegee into. Not all folding chairs will fit the space -- we had to choose wisely. And it is tricky to reach (for us short people anyway!), so we use a little fold-up step, carried either over the cab or in a rear locker.

We have a set of Thule levellers (in a carry bag) that fit in an inside upper locker, but we often don't bother with them, as they take up so much room, and just find somewhere level to park instead. I have toyed with constructing an external carrier for them, either on the rear rack or under the van.

The bottom storage behind the back doors is definitely different on ours, though, as we had Wildax modify the design so that we could access easily through the back (mainly to give the option of chucking bikes in through the back doors).

May 7, 2014
Winnersh
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Since 2014
Three weeks and counting until we get our wild X constellation 3 XL.I can’t wait

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
My WildAx is a fixed bed Aurora so can't help, as the underbed storage is cavernous, but welcome to the gang.

I too carry levellers but don't think I've used them since putting them in... I've never (yet) been able to park level enough.

TimW

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
WildAx (on order)
Exp
Three weeks and counting until we get our wild X constellation 3 XL.I can’t wait
Hi. I am thinking of buying a new Constellation 3 XL. Am a total novice, but after a couple of years decided this looks to best meet our needs. How pleased are you with the WildAx ? Thanks Tim

Steve and Gill

Free Member
Apr 19, 2018
South Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Two Tours around New Zealand
Hi. I am thinking of buying a new Constellation 3 XL. Am a total novice, but after a couple of years decided this looks to best meet our needs. How pleased are you with the WildAx ? Thanks Tim

We have a Constellation 3, (6 metre version) collected in October last year. Very happy with it so far.
Better build quality than our previous Chausson and we like the layout.
Possibly worth you having a look at the Wildax Owner's forum?
https://groups.io/g/WildAx-Owners-Group/topics
Like anything - there are compromises e.g. see the thread on access to the rear light cluster.
Be sure to think about what you want to take with you, what it weighs and where you might store it while travelling.

enjoy!
sdg.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

TimW

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
WildAx (on order)
Exp
Good to hear the positive feedback on the build quality - as a total newbie that is something I am a bit uncomfortable with. I just don’t know any of the conversion companies. There was similar feedback on the introduction forum so they must be doing something right !!

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We like our Wildax, main niggles so far have been with electrics. We have made a few modifications to our Europa to better suit our needs, I keep meaning to post some pictures of what we have done.

TimW

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
WildAx (on order)
Exp
Spent the afternoon at Becks, and after literally spending 1.5 hours pondering over the Constellation vs the Constellation XL, we have placed an order for a new XL. We have gone for the auto gearbox as I read some really good things about the new 9 speed Fiat auto. Delivery will not be until next year ...that’s to fit in with other plans. Super super excited !!

TimW

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
WildAx (on order)
Exp
That’s a good tip - I’ll do that. In a strange but good twist of fate I have switched my order to an unregistered vehicle in stock, saved a few £, and the fun now starts on July 11.

May 7, 2014
Winnersh
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Since 2014
I love our Constellation XL the length of the work surface is fantastic and storage is amazing . We had a few niggles with heating but that looks resolved .I pushed for the XL and pleased I did. My only wish was you didn’t have to turn the Passenger seat forwards When making beds you could keep them facing towards the lounge area . I wake up early and need tea. Turning seats a pain as I don’t sit in bed .
But that’s my only pathetic niggle . Not bad for a van . We have had it a year and love it

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Have you joined the Wildax Enthusiasts Group on Facebook yet ?
Lots of help on specifics for their vans and a few jokes allowed too !
You can also join the WildAx Owners Group (founded 2011) -(our members are not happy with being on Facebook). We are a small (270+) friendly group who meet twice a year, next meet November.

For 11 years I have had a Constellation, converted from a 3 year old builders' van in 2012, the days when WildAx did many 'old' van conversions. It has been brilliant and so far we have done 50,000 miles here and abroad.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back