Green Card £15 fees - Devitt Insurance (CMC). Poll/discussion of others - do they charge??? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Rather than the poll route, wanted to get a snap shot of other motorhome insurers who do or do not charge to issue a Green Card (which is now required for EU travel - other than ROI).

I am with the CMC who's brokers are Devitt (insurers in my case ‘Highway’). Devitts make a £15 admin charge to issue a Green Card. Contacted Adrian Flux today (a reputable motorhome insurer) who state they issue a Green Card for free.

Would be interested in other motorhomers knowledge as to the Company they are with, Question: do they charge to issue a Green Card ? (also the fee if known).

I have asked Devitt‘s SMT to review their fee, but wanted a snap shot from the forum to gauge the market.

Thanks in advance. Ps if you do not go abroad and want to comment about not needing a Green Card, no need to respond ; )

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
LV is free Green Card for Caravan and Car or Motorhome and very prompt issue.

Steve

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
They all charge for the Green Card, they just advertise it differently.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Covermy.com broker, Aviva policy, came with green card attached! Free.

Regards
Jim

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Adrian Flux, no charge.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
AIB - £30 even though the policy has the statement printed on the back regarding the Green Card in various EU languages 🤷‍♂️

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I would have thought insurance companies might look ahead to when customers have to renew, our insurers supply green card for 90 days free of charge. They seem to forget there I would think many like us having sorned our van at the end of Dec 2019 so has sat fully insured in our garage hence six months of a years policy with little risk of a claim their profits should be looking good

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
No actual green card but my insurers have automatically included a certificate for Europe along with my documents. The policy is with Motorhome Protect.
4ED11196-680E-4E1A-B7DB-2F18D3BA80E9.jpeg

OP
OP

Deleted User
No actual green card but my insurers have automatically included a certificate for Europe along with my documents. The policy is with Motorhome Protect.
View attachment 511440
Most strange, as my Devitt (CMC) policy has a not too dissimilar wording (not as clear as this version though) and the customer services insist that a green card is still required, despite this wording, for travel to EU at a cost of £15 admin fee??? It might be worth contacting your brokers and see if they say the same?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
No actual green card but my insurers have automatically included a certificate for Europe along with my documents
That's more or less what's printed on mine but AIB say it still needs their green card issued for 30 quid.
Not sure if they are just cashing in on uncertainty ?
As it is I don't need it but at renewal I'll be factoring this in

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
That's more or less what's printed on mine but AIB say it still needs their green card issued for 30 quid.
Not sure if they are just cashing in on uncertainty ?
As it is I don't need it but at renewal I'll be factoring this in
When I called LV in Nov 2020 [having agreed to buy a new [16 years old] caravan less than 10 days before leaving for France & Spain; picked it up the day before departure ...], I suggested that they email the Green Card for speed/certainty. LV said that they could not because it was a legal requirement that it be printed on green card, and that the usual 'download it to your phone in colour' option was neither permissible, nor legal.

Steve

OP
OP

Deleted User
When I called LV in Nov 2020 [having agreed to buy a new [16 years old] caravan less than 10 days before leaving for France & Spain; picked it up the day before departure ...], I suggested that they email the Green Card for speed/certainty. LV said that they could not because it was a legal requirement that it be printed on green card, and that the usual 'download it to your phone in colour' option was neither permissible, nor legal.

Steve
Hi Marchie

thanks for the information, according to many reputable sources the Green Card format requirements have changed and can be printed on white paper;

Kind regards

Chas

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Hi Marchie

thanks for the information, according to many reputable sources the Green Card format requirements have changed and can be printed on white paper;

Kind regards

Chas
Thanks, Chas.

I was surprised when LV said they couldn't email the Green Card to me, but remembered that they had been issued years before email/mobile phones et al were invented, so worked on the basis that the Treaty wording must have referred to '... and shall be printed on green card ...'.

Nice to know that the legal form is catching up with technology! Do you have a link/source for the changes, please? I can just see me copping for the French or Spanish Border Officer who still works from the 1947 print edition of the Treaty, so having something more substantive than 'Que' to proffer might speed things along and stop the queue getting too long ... :oops:

Steve

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Saga motorhome insurance - no charge. Posted to us with other insurance documents, on white paper.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks, Chas.

I was surprised when LV said they couldn't email the Green Card to me, but remembered that they had been issued years before email/mobile phones et al were invented, so worked on the basis that the Treaty wording must have referred to '... and shall be printed on green card ...'.

Nice to know that the legal form is catching up with technology! Do you have a link/source for the changes, please? I can just see me copping for the French or Spanish Border Officer who still works from the 1947 print edition of the Treaty, so having something more substantive than 'Que' to proffer might speed things along and stop the queue getting too long ... :oops:

Steve
Hi Steve, I don't know, but I will do some digging. I suppose some insurers may decide on sticking to printing on Green Card (to get their admin fee) rather than using white paper which can be emailed or accessed securely online.

Chas

OP
OP

Deleted User
Hi Steve, I don't know, but I will do some digging. I suppose some insurers may decide on sticking to printing on Green Card (to get their admin fee) rather than using white paper which can be emailed or accessed securely online.

Chas

Didn't realise it would be that easy, google :)

Amendment of the Motor Vehicles (International Motor Insurance Card) Regulations 1971​

2. The Motor Vehicles (International Motor Insurance Card) Regulations 1971(2) are amended in accordance with regulations 3 to 7.

3. In regulation 3(1), for the definition of “insurance card”, substitute—

““Insurance card” means an international motor insurance card issued under the authority of a Foreign Bureau or the British Bureau, which is—

(a)
either green or white in colour,
(b)
in printed form, no bigger than A4 in paper size, and
(c)
in English or another language containing, in black typescript, the particulars specified in, and set out in one page as shown in, the Schedule to these Regulations;”.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Saga motorhome insurance - no charge. Posted to us with other insurance documents, on white paper.
Thanks everyone for the info - I will compile a list of the ones that charge and don't once this thread is exhausted :)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Didn't realise it would be that easy, google :)

Amendment of the Motor Vehicles (International Motor Insurance Card) Regulations 1971​

2. The Motor Vehicles (International Motor Insurance Card) Regulations 1971(2) are amended in accordance with regulations 3 to 7.

3. In regulation 3(1), for the definition of “insurance card”, substitute—

““Insurance card” means an international motor insurance card issued under the authority of a Foreign Bureau or the British Bureau, which is—

(a)
either green or white in colour,
(b)
in printed form, no bigger than A4 in paper size, and
(c)
in English or another language containing, in black typescript, the particulars specified in, and set out in one page as shown in, the Schedule to these Regulations;”.
Hi Chas,

Thanks very much for the link! Interesting that the amendment took force just over 3 months before LV told me that it was not possible for me to have the Green Card[which can now be white!] emailed to me!

Steve

OP
OP

Deleted User
Firstly, thank you to all of you who have contributed so far to this discussion thread.

Update ref Camping & Motorhome Club (Devitt brokers), they contacted me by telephone this afternoon stating that they would provide my next Green Card FOC (didn’t need one this year), and a note was made to that extent on my file.

I would suggest others ask for a free copy if you are with the CMC, or consider going with one of the other insurers who are more reasonable with providing this for free as their usual business practice. In reality, this can be a minor automated software script exercise that can easily be incorporated in to their renewal or issue process).

Any more motor-homers out there who want to contribute to this thread with your own insurers positions, please do so, and I will add the results on in one summarised response.

Oct 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Malibu PVC
Exp
40+ years Caravanning & M/homes
From BBC news:
"On 30 June 2021, the European Commission announced that UK motorists would no longer need to show a green card when entering the EU to prove they had insurance.
No exact date has been given for the change, but it should be made in the second half of July.
From that point your normal insurance documents should be enough."
So it appears that in a few weeks a green card will no longer be needed in the EU.

OP
OP

Deleted User
From BBC news:
"On 30 June 2021, the European Commission announced that UK motorists would no longer need to show a green card when entering the EU to prove they had insurance.
No exact date has been given for the change, but it should be made in the second half of July.
From that point your normal insurance documents should be enough."
So it appears that in a few weeks a green card will no longer be needed in the EU.
Thats fantastic news! Look forward to hearing more about this soon :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back