Glowplug question (1 Viewer)

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
You can also check in situ, with a multi-meter. Remove the cable and test between the tip and bare metal on the engine. Should be in the range of 1 - 2 ohms, (depending on model) if ok.
It is often just the controller, which uses internal 'fuses'. The controllers are generally sealed so you cannot 'play' with them. About £100 and easy to install.
As Hyperman says, dont even attempt plug removal unless you are very confident and patient (a week of penetrating oil and a torque wrench) with engines. Carbon buildup causes the plugs to become locked into the threads. As the plugs are usually ceramic, they snap off very easily (less than 20 ft lb torque). If that happens you may be looking at an engine head removal etc just to extract the broken plug.
An OBD2 reader is only about £20 and will point you in the right direction but obviously a more expensive unit would be preferable.
I think that very motorhome should have an OBD2 device on board. Nothing worse than your van going into 'limp-home' mode for something stupid, which can be reset via the OBD2.

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Starts ok even in the coldest months.

Then I think ignoring it is a pretty good idea. It's very remote, but it's worth checking the problem isn't that the relay is stuck on, that will burn out the plugs.

Like I say, remote.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
OBD2 only began to be introduced into Diesel vehicles around 1997. I can't imagine yours will have a diagnostic socket. Whether it has or not it's unlikely to have any connection to the glow plugs or their controller. The dashboard warning no doubt derives from the controller. If a glow plug had failed then on very cold mornings the engine would start on all cylinders except the one with the failed plug. It would stammer for several seconds whilst emitting copious amounts of white smoke until that cylinder fired. There's no mistaking the symptoms. So if the only symptom is a warning light the fault will be the controller. The controller is a simple box of bits that has a timer, looks at coolant temperature, and feeds power to the plugs.

However the warning light may have other functions (water in the fuel filter for example). The base vehicle handbook will no doubt have the information. If the controller is faulty you might find that it's a generic component fitted to various vehicles (a lot were around that time) making it relatively cheap.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
You can also check in situ, with a multi-meter. Remove the cable and test between the tip and bare metal on the engine. Should be in the range of 1 - 2 ohms, (depending on model) if ok.
It is often just the controller, which uses internal 'fuses'. The controllers are generally sealed so you cannot 'play' with them. About £100 and easy to install.
As Hyperman says, dont even attempt plug removal unless you are very confident and patient (a week of penetrating oil and a torque wrench) with engines. Carbon buildup causes the plugs to become locked into the threads. As the plugs are usually ceramic, they snap off very easily (less than 20 ft lb torque). If that happens you may be looking at an engine head removal etc just to extract the broken plug.
An OBD2 reader is only about £20 and will point you in the right direction but obviously a more expensive unit would be preferable.
I think that very motorhome should have an OBD2 device on board. Nothing worse than your van going into 'limp-home' mode for something stupid, which can be reset via the OBD2.

OBD2 only began to be introduced into Diesel vehicles around 1997. I can't imagine yours will have a diagnostic socket. Whether it has or not it's unlikely to have any connection to the glow plugs or their controller. The dashboard warning no doubt derives from the controller. If a glow plug had failed then on very cold mornings the engine would start on all cylinders except the one with the failed plug. It would stammer for several seconds whilst emitting copious amounts of white smoke until that cylinder fired. There's no mistaking the symptoms. So if the only symptom is a warning light the fault will be the controller. The controller is a simple box of bits that has a timer, looks at coolant temperature, and feeds power to the plugs.

However the warning light may have other functions (water in the fuel filter for example). The base vehicle handbook will no doubt have the information. If the controller is faulty you might find that it's a generic component fitted to various vehicles (a lot were around that time) making it relatively cheap.
Hi Tony, the engine starts and runs without any stammers or white smoke. Will mention it to the garage its in at the moment getting the body work looked at. They deal with lots of large diesel vehicles as well as motorhomes so will hopefully know what to do. Much appreciate your advice (and that of everyone else who has taken the time to reply to me)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back