Glowplug question (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
The glowplug light on my dashboard goes out ok when I turn the ignition to the correct setting and wait a few seconds and I then go ahead and start the engine but it comes on again for a few minutes when the engine is up and running then goes out again. Is this a problem and should I get the plugs checked or is it normal and not something to worry about?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, no that's not normal and certainly not at this time of year.
I would suggest you get it scanned it could be 1 or more of the glow plugs or even a harness / sensor issue.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Hi, no that's not normal and certainly not at this time of year.
I would suggest you get it scanned it could be 1 or more of the glow plugs or even a harness / sensor issue.
Thanks Phil. The engine is a 1997 2.8 Mercedes on my Hymer s650. Are they easy to check myself or do you think it should go into a garage?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Have you plugged a scanner in to see if there are any faults logged?

Might give you a pointer.

I had a Vivaro van and the glow plug would light up if the diesel filter needed water draining from it.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
I’d go to garage get it plugged in to a diagnostic thingy that should bring up faults on the plugs/sensors etc
Ps I’m not a mechanic just a wee disclaimer 👍

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp

I had a Vivaro van and the glow plug would light up if the diesel filter needed water draining from it.
Can a scanner be used on such an old van? Its already in for some body work repairs so might ask them to have a look at this as well.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can a scanner be used on such an old van? Its already in for some body work repairs so might ask them to have a look at this as well.

I know some early vehicles had obd ports.

If not there was a way of connecting some wires together and you get flash sequences on the dash.

Worth asking whilst it’s in I’d say.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Same problem with my 2002 Merc. I drove 3k miles on it but was always concerned that it wouldn’t start.
Eventually I put it into the garage who confirmed 2 glow plugs not working. The engine had to be dropped out (Aclass) as the plugs wouldn’t come out; they also replaced the clutch and dual mass flywheel (change of spec from the original so it took a little longer than expected). £1800

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
As a 1997 I would them checked out. I don't know the engine so I am sorry I don't know how difficult it may be to get them out.
One problem often encountered with older glow plugs is that they get brittle with age and can snap off in the head.

Don't wish to be doom and gloom but if you have a trusted garage then get them to check them out for you.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

As said the glow plug light is often used to indicate other faults when engine is running.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
As a 1997 I would them checked out. I don't know the engine so I am sorry I don't know how difficult it may be to get them out.
One problem often encountered with older glow plugs is that they get brittle with age and can snap off in the head.

Don't wish to be doom and gloom but if you have a trusted garage then get them to check them out for you.
What problems can it cause if a couple of them are knackered? Is it a case of a stitch in time saves nine :giggle:

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
What problems can it cause if a couple of them are knackered? Is it a case of a stitch in time saves nine :giggle:
We had the same problem with a ten year old Mercedes car, the Mercedes garage assumed one or more plugs would snap whilst being removed and quoted £1600, can’t remember if that included Vat or not. Our local garage really wasn’t keen to do the job and advised us to keep on driving as the vehicle would still start, which we did without issue.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
We had the same problem with a ten year old Mercedes car, the Mercedes garage assumed one or more plugs would snap whilst being removed and quoted £1600, can’t remember if that included Vat or not. Our local garage really wasn’t keen to do the job and advised us to keep on driving as the vehicle would still start, which we did without i

glow plug light is illuminated for a lot of faults not necessarily the glowplugs get the codes first before playing parts darts
Good to know.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
First thing I would do was to change the fuel filter, if the paper element type make sure the bowl is clean, on some models the light comes on if there is water in the filter. When starting from cold does it start easily? If even one plug is u/s it will effect how it starts.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
First thing I would do was to change the fuel filter, if the paper element type make sure the bowl is clean, on some models the light comes on if there is water in the filter. When starting from cold does it start easily? If even one plug is u/s it will effect how it starts.
Hi Bessy, even in the coldest weather once the glowplug light goes out it starts no problem.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Hi Bessy, even in the coldest weather once the glowplug light goes out it starts no problem.
The glow plug in my Renault master continues to heat long after the light goes out , 12 seconds comes to mind , I found this out when it got harder to start , I thought it was glow plugs but turned out to be a fractured fuel pipe

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Some earlier Fiat models with a blue box housing the relay for the glow plugs, developed a fault similar to yours, when the glow plug light goes out the current is still supplied to the plugs the light only goes out after a set time according to the outside temp. The drop in voltage caused by the operation of the starter motor and the rise in voltage when the alternator starts charging for some reason caused the relay to operate the glow plugs again. In some cases the plugs would eventually fail. But I think that was on earlier models than yours.

Mr and Mrs O

Free Member
Dec 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Deposit is paid
Exp
Newbies
We had a 2012 merc sprinter the col light came on 4 years ago still started fine in the summer but when the weather cooled it would turn over a few times before firing up. Apparently its the luck of the draw according to the garage whether the glow plug snap on removal so i gues check everything else first.
May just be a loose connection

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Worth a try, turn ign on till glow plug light goes out, turn key off then immediately turn on and start the engine, this may stop the relay getting hot the operates the plugs. See if that makes any difference?

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Phil. The engine is a 1997 2.8 Mercedes

On our old 1996 sprinter the situation you describe says one or more of the plugs isn't doing what the module would expect. Common fault is the multiplug from the module that goes out to the plugs has tube type connectors that need cleaning and squeezing back together.

That's an easy fix, but sadly it's also entirely possible a glow plug(s) has died.

You need a multimeter and someone sensible to do some easy tests.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Worth a try, turn ign on till glow plug light goes out, turn key off then immediately turn on and start the engine, this may stop the relay getting hot the operates the plugs. See if that makes any difference?
Will definitely give that a try Bessie

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
If it starts OK, then leave well alone.
My old Merc glow plug light stays on permanently ,but the van starts fine .
They have a habit of snapping whilst trying to remove them resulting in a huge bill, hence lots of garages will refuse the job.

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
If it starts OK, then leave well alone.
My old Merc glow plug light stays on permanently ,but the van starts fine .
They have a habit of snapping whilst trying to remove them resulting in a huge bill, hence lots of garages will refuse the job.

Maybe you should add "If it starts OK in deepest winter" lol

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Hi St3v3,
I agree , but its been like that for 7 years and never missed a beat starting even in the coldest or dampest winters.
I 'd leave well alone until the winter and see.
Massive bill if one snaps on removal and maybe didn't need to be done.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I had no option to have my wife's passat glow plugs donea few weeks ago. The estimated cost was £120 for all 4 replaced.
The final bill as a result of an issue was £385.
And yes I trust the garage and I was shown the problem when they realised that there was a problem.

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Hi St3v3,
I agree , but its been like that for 7 years and never missed a beat starting even in the coldest or dampest winters.
I 'd leave well alone until the winter and see.
Massive bill if one snaps on removal and maybe didn't need to be done.

Good stuff. I should have said you are quite right about them liking to snap.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I had no option to have my wife's passat glow plugs donea few weeks ago. The estimated cost was £120 for all 4 replaced.
The final bill as a result of an issue was £385.
And yes I trust the garage and I was shown the problem when they realised that there was a problem.

Bargain I’d say considering what it could of cost

Seems cheap at that for 4

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I am very competent with vehicles especially mechanically and glow plugs is a job I like to pass on!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back