Globecar Dometic 9335 Series Fridge - connection to Votronic AES output & cable routing? (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I now have 300w solar on roof and a Votronic 350 Duo solar regulator and am looking to make use of its AES output. I hoping to hear from someone who has already done this on a Globecar PVC.

The aim is to connect the AES Votronic output to the S+ terminal on the fridge.

A ) Cable sizing? The Dometic 9335 manual says it consumes 170w at both 240v and 12v. If my assumptions and arithmetic is correct (not a given!) 170w at 12v means the cable could be carrying a little more than 14amps when at full capacity. So I could use 4mm squared cable? If so, the 12v Planet sizing guide suggests a voltage drop of 0.68v or 5.7% over a 10m round trip run - hardly adequate? Taking the round trip out of the equation (because the return path would be via the fridge's own earth) would bring voltage drop to under the recommended :h:% and suitable for the job. However, I'm beginning to doubt my assumptions because the 4mm2 cable hardly fits into the Votronic's terminal, indicating that a smaller cable size is intended?

B ) I assume I should fuse my cable at 15amps? Or 20amps?

C ) Routing. The most viable routing appears to be from the passenger seat base, under the driving seat floor, up the B pillar, behind the Control Panel, behind the over-sink cupboard behind and above the fridge and then down behind the fridge to the void behind the external fridge cover, which gives access to the fridge's 240v a/c supply. A normally closed relay could then be fitted between the AES supply and the S+ terminal on the fridge, breaking the 12v Votronic supply when the EHU is live. (This routing is what gives rise to the >=5m cable length from the Votronic AES output to the S+ terminal, via the relay.)

(I'm not hoping to hear about irrelevant ideas like "why don't you get a cold box instead" or similar!)

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Aah, that explains a lot and just leaves me with the cable routing question.
Thank you Michael.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Aah, that explains a lot and just leaves me with the cable routing question.
Thank you Michael.
Another question to consider
How effective is the 12V element in the fridge compared to Gas ?

On our new van which is fitted with a solar controller with an S+ output, it’s not used.

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
PS. In my posting there has appeared a beating heart in the penultimate line of paragragh A. (Don't ask me why, there's nothing implicit in there.)

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Unused S+ connection - why do you think that is Robert? Have you got built in redundancy for your off-grid power needs? Or maybe a huge gas tank?

PS. Hope you're managaing to find sites whilst you're rebuilding is taking place. It's getting busy out there!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Unused S+ connection - why do you think that is Robert? Have you got built in redundancy for your off-grid power needs? Or maybe a huge gas tank?

PS. Hope you're managaing to find sites whilst you're rebuilding is taking place. It's getting busy out there!
I think it’s not used as the 12v element on some fridges is poor compared with 220v or gas

Having no issues with site thanks Norman. Just wishing the weather had been better over since we’ve been full timing
April was dry but very cold. May has been warmer but very wet, though we’ve managed a decent walk of ride almost every day

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The 9335 has both 12vdc and 230vac elements at 170w. Hagstrom as you have stated, most Dometics would have the 230vac element at circa 250w and forcing it to switch to 12vdc was not a good idea for temperature maintenance with the poor 170w element in higher temperatures. Yours makes no difference as they are the same. I tried the AES connection on my Flair and gave up because after 2 days with a fridge struggling to hold 10c and the freezer -12c it was pointless.

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I should have read the Votronic manual more carefully as it's quite explicit about the cable size.
There would seem to be no need to consider interposing a 230v detecting relay just before the S+ terminal on the fridge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back