Gills Motorhomes fraud investigation (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
BBC Scotland are reporting on a police fraud investigation into a Motorhome hire and sales company in Dechmont near Edinburgh. Very sad stories of people buying exrental vans and discovering later that there is still finance owed on the van. Gills now ceased trading and finance companies either repossessing or customers having to settle. Astonishingly company statement says that their practice was to clear the “majority” of finance on sold vehicles but cash flow wouldn’t always allow at the time!
All very sad for those involved, as ever buyer beware!
Bill

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Easy to get taken in it would never occur to me to check a trader actually owned the vehicles they were selling!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Oops! The unfortunate buyers' frst port of call should be a Scottish solicitor to get proper advice on their rights as innocent victims, against the finance companies.

Sounds like the dealer would be insolvent, therefore not worth powder and shot even though the buyers probably have a raft of legal remedies against the dealer. In theory anyway.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Not another rogue trader. Camper NE went the same owing me a lot of money as well as millions to others. Greed is a nasty thing and they don't give a damp how they affect people's lives.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I can't see how they would have title as the dealer didn't have title either. Best bet would be credit card company s 75?
They may struggle if the price is outside the limits for S75, ie £30k.:(

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Here, anyone wanna buy a cheap Bailey ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
What if the deposit was paid?
One guy had paid £37k and then another £10k to the finance company to keep the motorhome as, I guess, not covered under S75? Unless it was cash, bank transfer or alternative means?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
When we bought our Golf it came with an HPI check but it was red as far as finance.

It appears the dealer financed all their cars for sale like this. So basically when I paid for the car, they paid the finance company.

They explained this and as it was a VW assured car I accepted this.

But after reading this and other threads I would not in the future.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
im not sure if hpi wouild flag up some dealer finance schemesand i belive theres a limit on hpi's liability

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back