Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Hi
We are currently in Spain going to Portugal and thinking of going to Gibralter with motorhome. We have our dog with us . Has anyone experience of going there with dog . Will we need another certificate to get back into Spain after . If so is it possible to get a pet eu pet passport in Spain / Portugal which will work out cheaper .
Is gibralter a destination motorhome friendly destination

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Short answer no its very crowded and to be honest a bit shabby in places, have a day trip instead and you will have done Gibraltar, no idea about the AHC set up but why not get a pet passport sorted while you are in Spain/Portugal

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Getting a passport is the way to go 👍

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Short answer no its very crowded and to be honest a bit shabby in places, have a day trip instead and you will have done Gibraltar, no idea about the AHC set up but why not get a pet passport sorted while you are in Spain/Portugal
I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Gibraltar in recent years and there’s actually quite a lot to see and do with a bit of research. I’d advise, don’t take a MH, you’ll probably regret it. Space is one thing they don’t have and parking is a balls ache. Add to that traffic which is fairly manic most of the day. If you’re determined to take the MH your best parking option is around the Europa Point area. You could stay Here, nice location and walking distance into Gibraltar.
You don’t see loads of dogs in Gibraltar, apart from the handbag varieties, it’s not very suitable

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Another thing to consider if you're gonna do the sightseeing stuff is the situation regarding the Apes ? It's years since I visited, but seem to remember that dogs weren't allowed around them ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We were there last year & stayed at the marina in La Linea de Conception & walked across the border to Gibraltar. We went to Gib several times & our passports were checked & stamped each time, but the dog was just waved through. Some of the buses are dog friendly, but not all, we had no trouble getting around with her though.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Another thing to consider if you're gonna do the sightseeing stuff is the situation regarding the Apes ? It's years since I visited, but seem to remember that dogs weren't allowed around them ?
Almost certainly not allowed, the apes, novelty value aside are a PITA and can be very aggressive. I dread to think what they’d do to a small dog!

Tip: not sure if they still do it but you used to be able to book lunch in the
Mons Calpe suite which meant on arrival you could go straight to the front of the cable car queue and get a free ride. Stunning views from the restaurant.

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
We were there three weeks ago - definitely not motorhome friendly. The buses will take you wherever you need to go - they’re cheap and frequent. The marina park already mentioned is pleasant enough. It’s any easy stroll to the border.
We didn’t see anywhere at the border where animal passports should be presented - maybe it’s the same booth as people 🧐🤷‍♀️ try looking online at - visitgibraltar.gi
Also worth checking if dogs are actually allowed in any of the places you want to visit, including the buses.

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Stayed on the Marina at La Linea over new year about 5-10 mins easy walk to the border which we went over with dog. I have Irish passport which was not stamped wife's UK passport was stamped. We jumped the bus just past passport control with the dog to the cable car, dogs are not allowed at the top of the rock due to apes, so I stayed down and had a coffee whilst Ruth went up. Diesel was one euro six cent at the first garage on the island a few were popping over in MHs then coming straight back. We had lunch at Queensway Quay Marina which was lovely a lot of wealth there. No requirement for any paperwork ref dog.

Last edited:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We stayed at the La linea Marina last year, a pleasant spot and easy to cross the border. We also took a tourist taxi which included some of the key sites and was quite informative but I doubt they accept dogs. (Sorry thats not too helpful is it.)

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We stayed at the La linea Marina last year, a pleasant spot and easy to cross the border. We also took a tourist taxi which included some of the key sites and was quite informative but I doubt they accept dogs. (Sorry thats not too helpful is it.)
We took a tourist taxi last summer & the driver was happy to accept the dog.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Stay at the Marina at La Linea in Spain. It's then a 10 minute walk to the border. Then you can walk or bus into the few attractions that are there. Last time we visited we agreed that much of it was looking really tacky now, especially the High Street, which reminded us of other tax free areas like Andorra. You have a limit of tax free ciggies and booze that can be taken back over to Spain (whether you walk or drive in) and the Spanish customs will make sure you stick to it.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We went last year with dog. Stay at the marina and walk in. It was bit of a let down for us, bit shabby and spanish not as english as we thouhht. You cannot go up the rock with dog so have to leave him in van. Np need for ACH or anything just your own passport to get stamped.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back