Getting ready to change to Lithium and need some advice (3 Viewers)

Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
I came on here hoping to get some simpler answers - isn't here someone out there who can make this much. much less complicated for those of us who would love to get solar involved but don't understand the basic concepts?!
any help appreciated!!!

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I came on here hoing to get some simpler answers - oisn't here someone out there who can make this much. mush less complicated for those of us who would love to get solar involved but don't understand the basic concepts?!
any help appreciated!!!
This thread is not really about putting in new solar panels, my motorhome already had those. They were fitted by the dealer as part of the deal we got when we bought our new motorhome. It was about fitting new Lithium based batteries to replace traditional lead acid based batteries and the need to change other parts of the 12v electrical system to optimise the use of the new batteries .

Fitting solars is easier than this, as shown by the fact that I managed to fit two solar panels myself on my previous motorhome. To fit them yourself you only really need a basic understanding of electricity, such as knowing about current (amps), voltage (volts), and power (watts) and how they are related. And also be able to follow instructions carefully. It also depends on what motorhome you have.

If you really have zero knowledge of electrical systems I suggest the best way to start is to get that basic knowledge. Then you can start a new thread setting out what your motorhome is and asking how you can fit solar panels to it. That was what I did when I fitted the solars on my previous motorhome and I got a tremendous amount of help on this forum, just as I have on this thread.

But if, after that, you are still not sure, the safest way would be to pay a dealer or other professional to fit them for you.

Feb 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
OK! I will try!

TBH, I have looked at various internet postings in different places from people who are obviously more knowledgeable than me, but of course the systems aren't all the same and people's requirements, expectations and the ways they might go about things aren't the same.

I suppose this is a bit the same as when people used to repair early electric appliances themselves - you gather the knowledge, ask someone in the know and try to replicate it. I feel a bit like a pioneer (in the cross-the-prairies sense of the word) here.

I got 38% in my last physics exam in 3rd year at secondary schoo6 before I quit sciences. My mum went and spoke to the teacher and he was relentlessly positive- 'at least he can wire a plug very well, so don't worry if he does that it won't burn the house down or anything'... from little acorns!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
PaulOH
You are almost asking the question how do I run without the basic knowledge eg how many legs have I got. Man or horse. I don't know how a horse learns to run but they get up on 4 legs pretty quick, canter then run. Man however has to learn to crawl, stand, walk, fall over, then run. If you we coming to this as an electrician or with a degree in electronic s then you might be a Red Rum (racehorse) but from what you say , learning to crawl or lying on your stomach is the first step. The first step is generally understanding your needs, how do I use my motorhome, where ,what do I use? I always use campsites and ehu do i need solar or Lithium ? Once you've thought about what you need not want then start a new thread and ask away.

Feb 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
PaulOH
You are almost asking the question how do I run without the basic knowledge eg how many legs have I got. Man or horse. I don't know how a horse learns to run but they get up on 4 legs pretty quick, canter then run. Man however has to learn to crawl, stand, walk, fall over, then run. If you we coming to this as an electrician or with a degree in electronic s then you might be a Red Rum (racehorse) but from what you say , learning to crawl or lying on your stomach is the first step. The first step is generally understanding your needs, how do I use my motorhome, where ,what do I use? I always use campsites and ehu do i need solar or Lithium ? Once you've thought about what you need not want then start a new thread and ask away.
Completely agree!
I've looked at enough of the posts on this and the related forums to realise that it is a very complicated and tailored issue and there is no point in trying to do anything without either the proper knowledge or the money to pay for proper knowledge.

An acquaintance of mine with a van had been raving on and on about how great solar is and how you just buy a kit and it's dead easy. 'Dead' I would be after the whole thing would go up in flames!

A friend has a solar installation that he tried to do himself and found that he just ended up paying someone to do it because it got too complicated and he wasn't sure anymore what he was doing! He told me not to try myself unless I really knew how to complete it properly.

Some of you guys could make serious money charging for you advice and practical installation ability!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back