Getting into Rowntree Park, York (1 Viewer)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Been to Rowntree a couple of times and know how busy it is. We decided we would like a couple of days there, early December. Started watching the bookings, looking at Awning and Non-Awning, over the Nov/Dec period, about 10 days ago, and was surprised at how much change in bookings there is going on

Sometimes there was only a couple of separate nights available and other times up to 13 or 14 nights. Twice I saw 7 consecutive nights available over Xmas

Managed to book one of the nights we wanted and a couple of days later the other one. One was with Awning and one Non-Awning. Today I was able to ring the site and move my Non-Awning booking to an Awning site that had become available, so we do not face any prospect of being moved mid stay

Please be aware of how many bookings are made and then changed on busy C&MC sites and how with a bit of persistence you can often get what you want

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I learnt a few years ago that the keyboard campers book up the best sites on the best dates as soon as C&MC open their bookings in December for the next year. We booked Rowntree Park in January for September but that's all we booked.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
That happens because Selfish folk book virtually every available date in the first week of January and then just cancel minutes before the deadline to get a "slap on the wrist" from the CC. Been going on for YEARs. One Xmas the site was "fully Booked". We where there and counted 16 vacant pitches!.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I learnt a few years ago that the keyboard campers book up the best sites on the best dates as soon as C&MC open their bookings in December for the next year. We booked Rowntree Park in January for September but that's all we booked.

Don't think that they have a "manic day" in December anymore. You book 12 months in advance on a rolling programme

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Like other members have said....
The mad December rush has now stopped...
Dates become available on a monthly/year in advance.
ie. you can book for November 2019 now, but not December 2019.....if that makes sense;)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We go most years, we booked this years as we were leaving last year as 3 vans meet up. Only other 2 forgot, will remind them to keep looking and phoning one is in for the following week so might be lucky in changing. Last year we got our pitch the day before we wanted to go.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Said it before. They should take a small (£5) none returnable deposit on each and every booking. .
If folks genuinely want to book a pitch they won't mind and it would stop blanket booking at a stroke.

But it won't happen.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Reminds me of a mate in CAMRA. He had, after months of trying, managed to book two whole weeks at Rowntree Park in order to sample the wonderful pubs of York. After three nights they were moved off because the site was about to flood!

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
I manage to get in most of the time, having the flexibility for last minute works most times for us. I’ve been looking for this weekend, which wasn’t available so booked next weekend as they came up whilst looking. For those times that you defo want to go, as a teacher, I know my holidays so book for really busy times. It’s much better system now having the roll on month by month, but places like Rowntree still gets booked up quickly. I used to hate the hours trying to log on and book for Bh on the Dec launch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back