Jun 26, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Dyna
Exp
c3dku8
Hi All,

My MoHo is a 20yrs old Japanese import so information and spares are relatively scarce (I think). There is a chance that standard European parts when it was built so here goes. I am currently using just a plain hose to fill her up but does anyone know whether there is suitable cap with hose adapter for it?

c3dku8
mPHpMo

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-8_17-29-25.png
    upload_2018-7-8_17-29-25.png
    446.3 KB · Views: 108
    446.3 KB · Views: 85
    446.3 KB · Views: 83

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Rather doubt it.. you could fit a hose connector to the cap.. if you had a spare cap .. :LOL:

I've personally never used one, just jamb the hose end into the filler ..

I would recommend you invest in food grade hose rather than using plain old garden hose.. you can buy roll flat or just normal .. both on ebay , search food grade hose.

I use this, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-PVC-BRAIDED-HOSE-FOOD-GRADE-OIL-WATER-GASES-REINFORCED-PIPE-TUBE/222384870074?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=20170912102017&meid=e647ad1d0b43422ea2c5fd4012dc4cb2&pid=100706&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=222384870074&_trksid=p2045573.c100706.m4781

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Unlikely to get one off the peg but if you can get another cap that fits you could drill it and fit a hozelock adapter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I don’t know from pic if it is definitely standard cap. However, if this is a new to you MH, then, judging by the condition of it and the surrounding hatch, I would give it a good clean and sterilisation running sterilising solution into tank and through the pipes to taps.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
My watering can is a universal fit.

OP
OP
DFMan

DFMan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Dyna
Exp
Well here's a strange turn of events. I am embarrassingly excited. I followed @Riverbankannie 's link and saw what it was suggesting below the cap (You know the ones - customers who bought this box of matches also bought this flame thrower). It took me to the exact cap I have have now. What's more, the keywords in the advert contained the word RV. This then triggered a thought that maybe they used American RV products in Japan. And sure enough when I searched for RV products my windows, water inlet and drain water pipes are all used in American RVs! This has given me some hope in finding parts for things.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Well here's a strange turn of events. I am embarrassingly excited. I followed @Riverbankannie 's link and saw what it was suggesting below the cap (You know the ones - customers who bought this box of matches also bought this flame thrower). It took me to the exact cap I have have now. What's more, the keywords in the advert contained the word RV. This then triggered a thought that maybe they used American RV products in Japan. And sure enough when I searched for RV products my windows, water inlet and drain water pipes are all used in American RVs! This has given me some hope in finding parts for things.
japan as been making m,homes etc for years . you will find most american and european parts are made in japan ,china or india . my mate bought a toyota hi ace camper built in japan in the 70,s . brand new . its amazing how much stuff as been made over there over the years but marketed as european or american.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would recommend you invest in food grade hose rather than using plain old garden hose.. you can buy roll flat or just normal .. both on ebay , search food grade hose.
I think a 20 year old tank would be more of a concern than using a food grade hose Jim, if it ain't contaminated by now it never will be. :D

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Glad it helped .....if only by accident.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think a 20 year old tank would be more of a concern than using a food grade hose Jim, if it ain't contaminated by now it never will be. :D
....it all adds to the distinctive flavour.

If the tank and pipes have been well flushed and treated it should not be a problem. How old is the cold water header tank as found in most houses? Plus if not used for drinking then not really an issue.

You do raise a good point though, (y) as a lot of Jap imports spent months lying around before being shipped

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If the water is passing through the hose for say 10 seconds then going to sit for a couple of days in a 20 year old tank I know which one I think is likely to be the one to cause any problem!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If the water is passing through the hose for say 10 seconds then going to sit for a couple of days in a 20 year old tank I know which one I think is likely to be the one to cause any problem!!!

The tank is food grade, and even if 50 years old, if sterilised and flushed, good as new.. unlike a garden hose that may be leaching out chemicals

but no matter, there will always be naysayers when you post the correct information about using food safe hose and the carcinogenic risks from garden hose.

why would you choose the later.. not as if food grade cost a lot more .. but there you go , your choice
don't take my word.. Google it
Don't drink out of that hose!
Study finds toxic chemicals in garden hoses

For the second year in a row, testing by researchers at the Ecology Center revealed high levels of hazardous chemicals, many of which have been banned in children’s products, in garden hoses. Phthalates and the toxic chemical BPA were all found in the water of a new hose after sitting outside in the sun for just a few days.

The study is a follow-up to a 2012 study that tested 90 garden water hoses. This year, 21 garden hoses were tested for lead, cadmium, bromine (associated with brominated flame retardants), chlorine (indicating the presence of polyvinyl chloride, or PVC), phthalates and bisphenol A (BPA). These chemicals have been linked to birth defects, impaired learning, liver toxicity, premature births and early puberty in laboratory animals, among other serious health problems.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The tank is food grade, and even if 50 years old, if sterilised and flushed, good as new.. unlike a garden hose that may be leaching out chemicals

but no matter, there will always be naysayers when you post the correct information about using food safe hose and the carcinogenic risks from garden hose.

why would you choose the later.. not as if food grade cost a lot more .. but there you go , your choice
don't take my word.. Google it
Don't drink out of that hose!
Study finds toxic chemicals in garden hoses

For the second year in a row, testing by researchers at the Ecology Center revealed high levels of hazardous chemicals, many of which have been banned in children’s products, in garden hoses. Phthalates and the toxic chemical BPA were all found in the water of a new hose after sitting outside in the sun for just a few days.

The study is a follow-up to a 2012 study that tested 90 garden water hoses. This year, 21 garden hoses were tested for lead, cadmium, bromine (associated with brominated flame retardants), chlorine (indicating the presence of polyvinyl chloride, or PVC), phthalates and bisphenol A (BPA). These chemicals have been linked to birth defects, impaired learning, liver toxicity, premature births and early puberty in laboratory animals, among other serious health problems.
I don't leave it full of water for a few days in the sun!!!!. Just looked at the study the main tests were on the layers of material the hose is made of separated apart not on water from the hose. 7 hoses were tested by leaving water in for 48 hrs then testing it. Assuming an even leaching rate the amount of contaminants in water passing through the hose at a normal flow rate would be negigible. The highest lead content in water after sitting in a hose for 48 hrs was 20 parts per billion the limit for being able to detect any lead at all is 2 ppb the limit required for action is 15ppb. I am confident that if its 20 ppb after 48 hours it will be undetectable after less than a minute. The same with the other contaminants. Are there any studies done after passing water through as in normal use I wonder?

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't leave it full of water for a few days in the sun!!!!.

perhaps not, but when the water is left in the hose after rolling up it may be leaching chemicals.

You will counter by saying you always flush it.. which is fair enough when done properly but on a metered supply such as you get at French aires, paying €1 for 100L .. thats not only wasting water but costing money..

but in any case.. why risk your health when good quality food grade hose is only £17.60 for 10mt or about £23 for 20mt

the effects of ingesting or contacting hazardous chemicals can take many years to affect health .. as we have seen with many others, .. such as lead water pipes, asbestos, CTC extinguishers that we used to drain and use for cleaning electrical panels.. PCBs and many others

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our most often used hose is about 3m long we empty it after every use and flush for a few seconds and wipe the outside before every use. I suppose yes why risk it for 20 quid but life is risky in every sense after all a lot use scooters or motorbikes with their m/h what is the relative risk? I want to go somewhere 250 miles away rather than another place 50 miles away what is the risk? etc. The study to me looks a bit like the ones that say sacharine is dangerous because if you feed a rat an equivalent of someone eating a few kilos a day it develops cancer

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Our most often used hose is about 3m long we empty it after every use and flush for a few seconds and wipe the outside before every use. I suppose yes why risk it for 20 quid but life is risky in every sense after all a lot use scooters or motorbikes with their m/h what is the relative risk? I want to go somewhere 250 miles away rather than another place 50 miles away what is the risk? etc. The study to me looks a bit like the ones that say sacharine is dangerous because if you feed a rat an equivalent of someone eating a few kilos a day it develops cancer

citing motorbike risks isn't pertinent ..

My original post was to the OP. which IMV was good sensible advice..

you are making a counter argument for not requiring FGH

let him decide..

OP
OP
DFMan

DFMan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Toyota Dyna
Exp
Okay. Steriliser fluid ordered. New hose ordered. Thank to @scotjimland and @The Wino @Riverbankannie

Question: the fresh water supply at Aires and camp sites - is there usually a hose in situ with an adapter on or is it literally a plain hose?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Okay. Steriliser fluid ordered. New hose ordered. Thank to @scotjimland and @The Wino @Riverbankannie

Question: the fresh water supply at Aires and camp sites - is there usually a hose in situ with an adapter on or is it literally a plain hose?
Usually just a tap or adapter to fit onto. If theres a hose be carefull someone will have had it in their cassette to rinse out klingons!!!!!. You can get a cheap set of adapters at poundland which cover most eventualities sometimes you need to unscrew bits to get the correct thread

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Okay. Steriliser fluid ordered. New hose ordered. Thanks to @scotjimland and @The Wino @Riverbankannie

Usually just a threaded tap. Occasionally a bit of hose but personally I would not use a hose that’s been lying around. Use your own hose and get a screw on hoselock style adapter for the end.
Should the fresh water tap be located adjacent to the toilet cassette emptying point then take precautions to clean the tap just in case an ignorant camper has used the fresh tap to rinse their toilette cassette:mad::eek:.

With a bit of luck @Minxy Girl will be along and show you a photo of her collection of hose bits and bobs! :D

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Usually just a tap or adapter to fit onto. If theres a hose be carefull someone will have had it in their cassette to rinse out klingons!!!!!. You can get a cheap set of adapters at poundland which cover most eventualities sometimes you need to unscrew bits to get the correct thread
You put it better than me!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back