Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
I’m just about to buy a generator from Screwfix 1,5 kw for use in MH for when no hook up, does anyone use one or suggest something better?
It’s a suitcase type and at 18 kg easy to handle. I was working for an old fella today who uses it in his MH and he recommended it. Seems decent for the price

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Depending on where/when you intend to use it you might like to check it’s dB noise rating.

For example, what’s acceptable in a race paddock may not be viewed so favourably on a rally field.

It’s generally accepted that the Honda Suitcase Generators are the quietest.

If it’s a 2 Stroke engine it’s likely to be very noisy.

Ian

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As you say for the price.... Not bad.... but a lot noisier than a Honda.. :smiley:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I’m just about to buy a generator from Screwfix 1,5 kw for use in MH for when no hook up, does anyone use one or suggest something better?
It’s a suitcase type and at 18 kg easy to handle. I was working for an old fella today who uses it in his MH and he recommended it. Seems decent for the price
Yes solar panels and a good set of batteries:D

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Says it’s quiet but I sure the neighbours might moan ?

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Well let me know where you are going so I can arrange to be somewhere else away from teh noise and fumes:rolleyes:
It will be this planet, enjoy your trip ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
As you say for the price.... Not bad.... but a lot noisier than a Honda.. :smiley:
An awful lot cheaper too, I’d prefer a Honda but I’d prefer many things in life and often need to compromise

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
It will take hours and hours using a genny to charge your battery, get a B2B charger to add to your solar setup. Unless you need to run electric heating, boil kettles etc but beware if you are with others in a field or wherever you will NOT be flavour of the month!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
At that price I would buy a good secoundhand suitcase one like Honda etc

It will only languish in the garage anyway ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I think you get the drift..................!

Generators used considerately and for short periods during the day are usually tolerated. But unfortunately consideration doesn't seem to be a much used sentiment these days.

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
It will take hours and hours using a genny to charge your battery, get a B2B charger to add to your solar setup. Unless you need to run electric heating, boil kettles etc but beware if you are with others in a field or wherever you will NOT be flavour of the month!
Yeah I agree and wouldn’t use it habitually near anyone and will be used for wild camping or when in storage, I’m not looking to wind up neighbours having a quiet chill. But I can foresee plenty times it could be useful and I’d occasionally use it for work. Sorry I’ve upset any sensitive flowers haha

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
I was thinking about a genny myself for the same reasons, mainly for a bit of heating in winter when out of gas. Honda gennys are out of reach for me because of the price too, so I looked at youtube and thought of extra silencing, by a sound deadening box. That could be an idea for you.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
This is purely a theoretical question (I’ve no opinion on generator use!) but isn’t the thingy under bonnet basically a diesel generator? Why can it not have some sort of setting purely to charge batteries in neutral? If it can heft three and half tonnes of MH about, surely it can put some oomph back in the batteries now and again? I appreciate it may not be a perfect set up, but give that gennies aren’t used very often, surely it would do the job adequately once in a while? After all it already has its own dedicated storage compartment and computerised interface!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Described as low noise but no dB figures given, makes me very suspicious. I haven't used my generator in years, a B2B and a bit of solar keep my medical equipment going all night.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
This is purely a theoretical question (I’ve no opinion on generator use!) but isn’t the thingy under bonnet basically a diesel generator? Why can it not have some sort of setting purely to charge batteries in neutral? If it can heft three and half tonnes of MH about, surely it can put some oomph back in the batteries now and again? I appreciate it may not be a perfect set up, but give that gennies aren’t used very often, surely it would do the job adequately once in a while? After all it already has its own dedicated storage compartment and computerised interface!

Absotively........!!!! Its called a Battery to Battery charger. Google is you friend

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
I get the idea of a generator might upset some but I’m sure most can see the occasional benefits too. The vast majority of the time we will be on site with a hook up, then wild camping with solar then a very small useage of the generator if and when required but never as a first option

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I was thinking about a genny myself for the same reasons, mainly for a bit of heating in winter when out of gas. Honda gennys are out of reach for me because of the price too, so I looked at youtube and thought of extra silencing, by a sound deadening box. That could be an idea for you.
You are going to need a bloody big generator to produce enough electricity to keep you warm in the winter. You will probably need a towbar.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
You are going to need a bloody big generator to produce enough electricity to keep you warm in the winter. You will probably need a towbar.

3kw will do it, its a motorhome not a block of flats

Anyway I ended up with one of these....

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Drifter as a few others have suggested get B2b charger, they combined with a decent battery bank and some solar make a great setup, and you don't have to store the Genny PLUS the fuel for said Genny c/w the smell / risk of carrying said fuel.
I've got a b2b setup and works well for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back