Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The thing that first springs to mind is with the capacity being 200ah and Gel, will it need an extra long time on the absorption phase during charging? 🤔

We've got an 80ah gel and that can be 4 hours on absorption phase.

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I've got lithiums but no B2B. No "smart" alternator either though. Sunny day and the engine running pushes in 30A or so.
I am still mulling over whether to fit a KS Energy 120A Lithium. My doesnt Schadt Electrobloc doent have have a lithium profile, but Neal assures me it isnt a problem using the GEl setting.
The Gel batter above is half the price which leave a bit over for more mods.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I am still mulling over whether to fit a KS Energy 120A Lithium. My doesnt Schadt Electrobloc doent have have a lithium profile, but Neal assures me it isnt a problem using the GEl setting.
The Gel batter above is half the price which leave a bit over for more mods.
This is Udo Lang's response when I asked him about using an EBL119 with lithium.
I fitted a 50 Votronic B2B

"The EBL with the IUoU charging line in Gel mode is possible to charge in a good way Lithium battery types with a battery management system on it.

So the best is to ask at the battery producer´s help desk for the ok to charger with the EBL with 14,3V and 18A output the Lithium battery.

When there is any additional mains charger necessary, no problem to add to the battery poles directly.

No problem for the EBL to have a further charger included to the system.

For the charging via alternator I would recommend to add the WA 121525 to the EBL´s back side in line of the starter battery wire.

Then you have a Lithium charging via alternator and a regulated current of 25A."

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I've got lithiums but no B2B. No "smart" alternator either though. Sunny day and the engine running pushes in 30A or so.
Same here. Waiting to get an AMT 12-2 Battery Monitor/Relay fitted to improve the Lithium feed rate to the Starter Battery to overcome the lack of Winter daylight. Last 2 days has seen a surge to 20Ah over a 5 hour+ period, all on Absorption, although yesterday did get the Solar Panel Watts output into double figures for a few minutes. The last fortnight has seen 4 days with zero input from the Solar Panel and a maximum on other days of 5w

'Bright as a glow worm's armpit' springs to mind ...

Steve

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Thanks for the responses, think ill go with the Carbon Gel, hopefully I can squeeze it in. Also leaves me a bit of extra dosh for other things.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
So, for the idiots amongst us who don't understand Udo Langs reply (above) can we install a Lithium battery and use the Gel setting on the EBL ? (mines the EBL99).

Reactions: Vic

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
So, for the idiots amongst us who don't understand Udo Langs reply (above) can we install a Lithium battery and use the Gel setting on the EBL ? (mines the EBL99).
Yes (its not perfect due to the long 13.8v float charge, but it is not a significant issue - the 14.v main charge phase is OK for lithium.)
the EBL119 does not have a temp sensor, so in theory one could accidentally charge a lithium battery at temp <0C (which is not good) but the KS-Energy BMS has a low temp cut off at 0C anyway

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Just seems it may be an issue when charging from the alternator without a B2B from what I can gather.

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Bought the Gel battery and will see how i get on. Just hope it fits now:giggle:

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
IManaged to fit the Carbon Gel today, but I had to move my onboard consumer unit by 30mm and also knock up a couple of bus bars for the various connectors. Seems to be charging Ok now , currently showing at 14.2v so i guess is still in absorbtion phase.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Self build
I have been eyeing up the same battery. Alpha tell me it will be fine on a durite split relay as I have no solar at present. I think it would probably need monthly top ups with with the IP65 that I have fitted to keep the battery in good order. How are you getting on with the battery, have you managed to give it any real use yet?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back