Gaslow out for season (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Just a quick one how easy are gaslow systems to take out and put back in. Thinking of taking ours out and putting normal bottles in for the season. Is it a DIY job. Or do you need a gas fitter?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Simple change of cylinders

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You’d need to replace the flexible hoses that run from the bottles to the regulator.

Not a difficult job but I’d suggest taking a pic first of how the bottles were connected

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just a quick one how easy are gaslow systems to take out and put back in. Thinking of taking ours out and putting normal bottles in for the season. Is it a DIY job. Or do you need a gas fitter?
Why would you want to do that? It's easy to take them out and replace as I have done it on Van's but wouldn't want to just take them out to replace with calor for "the season",just cant see the point or am I missing something.?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Why would you want to do that? It's easy to take them out and replace as I have done it on Van's but wouldn't want to just take them out to replace with calor for "the season",just cant see the point or am I missing something.?

Seems a retrograde step to me.

Maybe he just wants to pay more for his gas.

Or maybe the Calors were still full when he took them out to fit the Gaslow and just wants to use the gas, but why not sell the Calor bottles full?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Like others have said ..... why? Much cheaper for autogas.

Maybe if he is working his contract includes free gas.

I wonder how old his system is, because our MH is from 2003 and we have a 37mb propane regulator which screws direct(21.8 LH thread) onto either our Gaslow or Calor reserve cylinders.

If he has the same he can just swap the cylinders and ignore the LPG filler set-up.

I have kept the same set-up fo 10 years, as I believe in the KISS principle. Although I have never needed to swap any cylinder, as Calor is still full, I know I can easily replace either without any need for pigtails etc. - just screw direct onto the cylinders.

The 30mb bulkhead mounted regulators were, I believe, introduced to accomodate both Butane and Propane, but I never intend to use pure butane, although some LPG contains some at appropriate time of year.

Geoff

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
You can use one of these to connect a calor cylinder to your Gaslow filler point

Ooooh Clever idea! ?

Does that mean that if you had empty Gaslow bottle(s) that you simply plug in a Calor bottle and you can run your cooker/heater/fridge from the external Calor Bottle ?

Would the Calor gas try to fill one or both or the Gaslow bottles ?

For £18, that sounds like a bit of kit any Gaslow equipped vehicle would want as an emergency back up

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Ooooh Clever idea! ?

Does that mean that if you had empty Gaslow bottle(s) that you simply plug in a Calor bottle and you can run your cooker/heater/fridge from the external Calor Bottle ?

For £18, that sounds like a bit of kit any Gaslow equipped vehicle would want as an emergency back up
Do I just need just that. As has been said we have parked up for the season due to work and it would just to much like hard work to go and refill

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ooooh Clever idea! ?

Yes
Yes
Yes
Every Gaslow van should have one

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Do I just need just that. As has been said we have parked up for the season due to work and it would just to much like hard work to go and refill
You should have said that in the first place.
Use the same hose for connecting ours to spanish bottles when parked up in Spain.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
You will need the local cylinder connection hose 01-4500 then one of the cylinder adaptors which for a Calor Propane cylinder is 01-1674 .
Here’s a picture of me doing exactly that, I tend to only empty one cylinder so leaving a Gaslow cylinder full in the van .
42540FF3-6EAB-4837-A78D-4EB018C1B05A.jpeg
7D4B37BA-0C4A-48C1-9AEE-E3D7A92C3E1E.jpeg

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm currently doing exactly that on a campsite in Morocco. As it happens Moroccan gas bottles have the same connecting thread as Calor. The bottle sits outside the van for normal use and when we move I just disconnect it and store it secured in the van (I usually put it in the back box) then use the one Gaslow I've deliberately not emptied (we've got 2x6kg) whilst on the road.

You can also get adaptors for other bottles - Spain has been mentioned but also Camping Gaz, though why you would want to use that stuff I'll never know as it's so bloody expensive!

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
You should have said that in the first place.
Use the same hose for connecting ours to spanish bottles when parked up in Spain.
Sorry didn't know you could get stuff like that. New to this. I was thinking I would need to change the bottle. Will ring gaslow tomorrow and sort one out.
Thanks for all the help

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
It's an easy job, but like anything else - easy if you know what what to do.
If you're not sure, get a gas fitter and sleep well.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Sorry didn't know you could get stuff like that. New to this. I was thinking I would need to change the bottle. Will ring gaslow tomorrow and sort one out.
Thanks for all the help
Gasit also do the same hose as well and you can pick them up in most motor home shop outlets where they sell refillable kits.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Do you just connect it to fill the gas or do you use it like a third bottle

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
According to Gaslow's website you use it once one of your existing bottles are empty. It does not fill the existing bottles with LPG, instead it gases off in the new bottle and the gas passes through the existing empty bottle and into the regulator.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You connect it to the fill point as above and use like a third bottle, one of your refillable needs to be empty. We just keep one refillable bottle closed usually and change the 3rd bottle which sits outside the van.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Jim, I can't find one of these on the Gasit website. Do they call it by a different name.
I bought mine from a gasit stand at a Peterborough show along with 3 continental adaptors. Its a rubber hose with a connection for a calor, Spanish adaptor bottle and a UK filler end. Works a treat.
Edit, just checked the Gasit website and its called a reserve hose, but more expensive than gaslow, mine was around £15, 4 years ago.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You really don't want to leave your van parked up for more than a few weeks to keep it in good order it needs a good drive every few weeks to get everything up to operating temperature.
Otherwise you risk sticking brakes, clutch and clutch release bearing sticking and failing, oil drawing from the bores d tappets causing damage on start up.
Really not worth the risk unless you have deep pockets.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Does it matter which one I switch off
20200309_084745.jpg