Gaslow exchange bottles (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Has anyone exchanged older gaslow bottles for new ones. Where do you take them and how much did it cost?
Just curious , reading their literature states that when bottles expire( date stamped on bottle) they can be exchanged for new bottles.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
You might find this response from Gaslow themselves helpful ? There are two types of cylinders and they have different 'test dates' - I think the earliest ones are due for retesting in a couple of years

Hi Dave

Many thanks for enquiring about the recertification on the Gaslow cylinders. As I see Louise has informed you correctly on the procedure for exchange of your cylinder. You are correct that the cylinder you receive back will be a cylinder that has been recertified, tested for another 15 years’ service, by doing this you will not have to wait for your cylinder to be inspected and be without a cylinder. However and this is the reason we have not advertised any information yet on the exchange, even though we have all of the process and costs in place! Is that the standards for LPG cylinders will be changing in the very near future, once the standards are updated we may choose to go a different route for the exchange. I Will not currently divulge what we have planned when the standards change as this is still subject to change until the standard has passed, and would not want any misinformation entering into circulation due to changes of the standards in the near future. However this will impact on what Gaslow and other refillable LPG cylinder companies do in the future regarding recertification. I can assure you that by waiting for the standards to change is all that is holding us back releasing the ”Exchange process and cost” statement, and would not want to have to amend a statement that has already been released due to a standards change.

Thank you for your understanding so far.

Regards

Martin Kennett

Gaslow International Limited

Castle Business Park

Pavilion Way, Loughborough

LE11 5GW

Tel. 01509 377377

Mobile. 07467 220050

martin.kennett@gaslow.co.uk

www.gaslowdirect.com

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
You might find this response from Gaslow themselves helpful ? There are two types of cylinders and they have different 'test dates' - I think the earliest ones are due for retesting in a couple of years

Hi Dave

Many thanks for enquiring about the recertification on the Gaslow cylinders. As I see Louise has informed you correctly on the procedure for exchange of your cylinder. You are correct that the cylinder you receive back will be a cylinder that has been recertified, tested for another 15 years’ service, by doing this you will not have to wait for your cylinder to be inspected and be without a cylinder. However and this is the reason we have not advertised any information yet on the exchange, even though we have all of the process and costs in place! Is that the standards for LPG cylinders will be changing in the very near future, once the standards are updated we may choose to go a different route for the exchange. I Will not currently divulge what we have planned when the standards change as this is still subject to change until the standard has passed, and would not want any misinformation entering into circulation due to changes of the standards in the near future. However this will impact on what Gaslow and other refillable LPG cylinder companies do in the future regarding recertification. I can assure you that by waiting for the standards to change is all that is holding us back releasing the ”Exchange process and cost” statement, and would not want to have to amend a statement that has already been released due to a standards change.

Thank you for your understanding so far.

Regards

Martin Kennett

Gaslow International Limited

Castle Business Park

Pavilion Way, Loughborough

LE11 5GW

Tel. 01509 377377

Mobile. 07467 220050

martin.kennett@gaslow.co.uk

www.gaslowdirect.com
That's the sort of answer a politician would give
Yours
Confused

Reactions: Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I suspect the cost involved may damage current sales ie the changes may make old cylinders un useable

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@MisterB

They've obviously had a think about it since I emailed them in October last year:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/caution-refillable-bottles.163529/page-4#post-2571950

What is also interesting is that they are saying that the original 15 year ones 'could' have another 15 year 'life' after they've been exchanged for the same type of bottle I presume, whereas the newer ones only have a 10 year 'life' so probably the exchange ones would also only be certified for a further 10 years ...

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
@MisterB

They've obviously had a think about it since I emailed them in October last year:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/caution-refillable-bottles.163529/page-4#post-2571950

What is also interesting is that they are saying that the original 15 year ones 'could' have another 15 year 'life' after they've been exchanged for the same type of bottle I presume, whereas the newer ones only have a 10 year 'life' so probably the exchange ones would also only be certified for a further 10 years ...

Yes I read it like that aswell. It make sense to get a 15 year bottle in exchange for a 15 year bottle !!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sooooo ... do I sell the R67 10 year one I have and instead pick-up a 15 year older style one .... hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I’m not sure what the law says about cylinder testing but surely we shouldn’t be listening to the likes of Gaslow, Gasit, Alugas etc as they are in the perfect position to extract even more cash from us by saying ‘yes you must exchange it with us’
No doubt they test cylinders and remark with a new ten year date.
I recently posted an Alugas add from YouTube claiming they last 80 to 100 years, it looked like Indonesia or somewhere similar. They obviously aren’t subject to the EU.
The onus I assume is on the owner/user to ensure their cylinders are within the 10year testing period and we may be able to get it done much cheaper by using a cylinder testing company like this.
http://www.centralcylindertesting.com/

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I bet are a lot of underslung LPG tanks are well past the 'test by date' ..

as said.. the onus is on the owner.. not the supplier, and I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for a free or cheap exchange from Gaslow

.. there would need to be a charge, I'm guessing at least £85 .. per bottle ..

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i fully expect a few companies will be advertising testing and re-certification cheaper than gaslow etc when the first batch reach expiry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back