Gasit or Gaslow? Who is telling the truth??? (1 Viewer)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Totally agree. If you have any doubt at all consider the standard fitment of portable cylinders and try to imagine how fitting refillables is any less safe. It very obviously isn't so you're doing nothing to compromise safety by installing Gasit or Gaslow.
I personally don't care what people do with their own vans but I have seen far more leaks on diy refillable systems than I have on standard exchangeable cylinders as there actually are a few joints to be made on refillable cylinders, exchangeable cylinders can leak but it's fairly rare .
PTFE tape seems to be like knots for a novice in that if in doubt use lots (n)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I personally don't care what people do with their own vans but I have seen far more leaks on diy refillable systems than I have on standard exchangeable cylinders as there actually are a few joints to be made on refillable cylinders, exchangeable cylinders can leak but it's fairly rare .
I wasn't argueing for or against DiY installs. My point is that once in the gas locker (and presumably not leaking) either type is equally safe or unsafe.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
This can't really leak either but there are many that say they will . (y)

IMG_1349.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.

And make sure you use the GAS PTFE tape which is yellow and specific for GAS and not the white PTFE to avoid leaks!

As for the regulations issue I think you will find that the Director of Gasit actually was a magor contributing author in the writing of those regulations. :)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Minxy Girl what length filler hose did you find you needed? I am assuming 1.5m will be plenty to fit in same position as you did with the Euro Flat connector. (did you need elbow connectors?)

Ta

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Minxy Girl what length filler hose did you find you needed? I am assuming 1.5m will be plenty to fit in same position as you did with the Euro Flat connector. (did you need elbow connectors?)

Ta
Can't remember as it's so long since I bought them originally ... it was 2009! :D Fortunately I've just found my spreadsheet from then listing what I bought ... sometimes it pays not to have a 'clear out'! :D2

I didn't need anything over and above what I already had from my previous Familyscout installation, namely:
  • 1 x square filler with 90 degree angle
  • 1 x Gaslow s/s 1.5m filler pipe
  • 1 x Gasit automotive rubber cylinder to cylinder connection pipe
  • 1 x T-piece to connect both cylinder pipes to single regulator inlet
  • 2 x Gaslow s/s pipes to connect cylinders to T-piece (1 x 75 cm 1 x 50 cm but 2 x 50 cm would do if you have to buy them).
Below are some photos I took previously of the set-up in my Campscout - ignore the extra t-piece on top of the left hand cylinder, that's cylinder no2 but it was a no 1 originally so the t-piece just converted it to a no 2 but if you get a no 1 and and no 2 anyway you won't have to do that ... I've totally confused you now haven't I ... :LOL:

Gaslow cylinders.jpg
1.JPG
3.JPG
t-piece.JPG
Gaslow filler pipe.jpg
Gaslow filler.jpg

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks @Minxy Girl and everyone else who contributed to this thread (y)

So then, a complete change of plan ............... I have bought Alugas :eek:

Just completed the order with Chris at Autogas2000 ............. what a top bloke! very helpful and knowledgeble. All the stuff will be here tomorrow :D2

As it happens any of the gas systems would have done the job. I preferred the Gaslow contents gauges than Gasit (the Gasit ones are the same as the old Gaslow ones ....... unreliable and fall off) and I like the rupture protection too. The whole aluminium thing came about because I really like them ((y)) and we may use them in a boat one day or remote from the van so the light weight will be useful.

:D2:LOL:(y)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Good choice IMV. We had an 14kg Alugas bottle fitted by Chris and team at Autogas. Brilliant service and nice people to deal with.

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Can't remember as it's so long since I bought them originally ... it was 2009! :D Fortunately I've just found my spreadsheet from then listing what I bought ... sometimes it pays not to have a 'clear out'! :D2

I didn't need anything over and above what I already had from my previous Familyscout installation, namely:
  • 1 x square filler with 90 degree angle
  • 1 x Gaslow s/s 1.5m filler pipe
  • 1 x Gasit automotive rubber cylinder to cylinder connection pipe
  • 1 x T-piece to connect both cylinder pipes to single regulator inlet
  • 2 x Gaslow s/s pipes to connect cylinders to T-piece (1 x 75 cm 1 x 50 cm but 2 x 50 cm would do if you have to buy them).
Below are some photos I took previously of the set-up in my Campscout - ignore the extra t-piece on top of the left hand cylinder, that's cylinder no2 but it was a no 1 originally so the t-piece just converted it to a no 2 but if you get a no 1 and and no 2 anyway you won't have to do that ... I've totally confused you now haven't I ... :LOL:

View attachment 240190 View attachment 240188 View attachment 240189 View attachment 240193 View attachment 240191 View attachment 240192
Hi,
Who sells the square filler?
I cant seem to find it on Gaslow or Gasit site
Thanks
Tk

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Some folk, on seeing a sign pushed into the ground with "Keep Off The Grass" written on it, simply keep off the grass.

However, some folk, on seeing the same sign ask...

"Why must I keep off the grass?"

"Who's grass is it?"

"Who put the sign there?"

"Do they have the authority to tell me what to do?"

"Is the sign even on the correct piece of grass?"

and so on...

I know which type of person I am... what about you?

JJ :cool:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I am on the whole I think perfectly capable of fitting a gas system in my motorhome safely with clear instructions supplied, what I'm not so sure about is drilling the hole thru the side of my van! (it's a one shot deal!!) Is it acceptable to mount the filler cap flush in the locker door itself, obviously making sure the pipe moves freely as the door is opened.
Just to be clear I am NOT mounting it inside the locker, just on the locker door so it does not need to be opened to fill up

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Mine is inside the gas locker in the centre on an L bracket to the locker floor. Never had filling issues.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are the side skirts strong enough??? (I do have a "British" van:whistle::whistle:)
Mine are very strong an aluminium extrusion with a rib running along the back.
You can always fit an alloy plate behind the skirt and a reinforcing bracket to the chassis.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back