Gas Regulator (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
The gas regulator failed in our van the other day. It took a while for me to figure out what was causing the various odd symptoms (all due to low gas pressure). I have now replaced it and all is well.

Do you carry a spare regulator or do they fail so infrequently that this is unnecessary?

R

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Needed to have our bulkhead regulator replaced before our winter trip to Portugal. Symptoms were low gas pressure if more than one appliance on. So, with water heating on gas, cooker wouldn't work properly i.e. too low pressure for rings.
Dealer replaced regulator and all's now well.
Dealer did say that this was very rare. Speculated that regulator could have been damaged by not turning gas off when refilling Alugas bottle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Mine failed and I fitted a gaslow with new stainless pipe and 5 year warranty direct replacement but you have to turn gas of when traveling.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@icantremember- well the dealer who told me was not the highwaymen who sold me the used van and they do have over 20 years experience of this make of van (and others). So, until I see evidence otherwise, I'll take the advice of the dealer. He had no reason to make it up or to say anything if unsure.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
@icantremember- well the dealer who told me was not the highwaymen who sold me the used van and they do have over 20 years experience of this make of van (and others). So, until I see evidence otherwise, I'll take the advice of the dealer. He had no reason to make it up or to say anything if unsure.
OK, good luck, I'm only speaking from experience.... and you did ask.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Appreciate your advice and am grateful for your posting...but I didn't ask. Just for the record.:)

p-c

Free Member
Sep 13, 2013
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40 years
This has been covered on "other" forum. The general consensus then was carry a spare, which I do. Sometimes the failure is due to residue from the pipes blocking it. Bet yours will fail again just when you can't get a replacement all for the sake of a few £ and a little space.
The dealer mentioned above does not know what he is talking about. Filling a gas bottle does not go near the regulator unless you are using gas at the same time!
Regards
P

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
"The dealer mentioned above does not know what he is talking about. Filling a gas bottle does not go near the regulator unless you are using gas at the same time!"
I've seen, on many posts, that turning off the bottle before refilling, is recommended by some yet others say it is unnecessary. As a punter who isn't an expert on anything, it is difficult to know who is right. So you pays your money and takes your chance!

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
He is talking total rubbish

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
This has been covered on "other" forum. The general consensus then was carry a spare, which I do. Sometimes the failure is due to residue from the pipes blocking it. Bet yours will fail again just when you can't get a replacement all for the sake of a few £ and a little space.
The dealer mentioned above does not know what he is talking about. Filling a gas bottle does not go near the regulator unless you are using gas at the same time!
Regards
P
More rubbish .
The pressure on the downstream side of the regulator will be higher during the refilling.

p-c

Free Member
Sep 13, 2013
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40 years
The pressure on the downstream side of the regulator will be higher during the refilling.
Then what does the regulator do please?? Yes the upstream pressure will be higher as the liquid going into the CYLINDER, not the pipe to the regulator, compresses the gas that is in the cylinder.
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Then what does the regulator do please?? Yes the upstream pressure will be higher as the liquid going into the CYLINDER, not the pipe to the regulator, compresses the gas that is in the cylinder.
Regards
As you know the regulator reduces the pressure but obviously it is subject to the higher pressure involved in the filling process.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back