Gas On or Off while travelling? (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My last two vans have had Secumotion regulators with crash sensors and anti rupture hoses so I travel with the gas on. Always turn off for ferries.

Before that with ordinary regulators always turned it off.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Generally I have always turned it off.

Recently on short trips on country lanes where risk of a high-impact collision is small I have done the following -

I carry out a Risk Assessment, write it out in triplicate and send a copy to the HSE.

I then delete that e-mail and say to my self 'Oh F*ck it, I cannot be bothered to open the locker.', so off we go.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Off. We will have used Gas/EHU to get the fridge ready ~30min before a holiday departure.
Then just MH 12v for the travelling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
On, because we have the secumotion regulator and antirupture hoses fitted. Really cannot be bothered to have to switch it on and off when we stop for a cuppa. Only times it is off is when we refill or in the tunnel.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We have an underslung tank, which is a bit fiddly to turn off and on. We turn it off on ferries, but otherwise leave it on. Working on the principle that lpg powered vehicles have tanks and obviously cannot turn them off when travelling.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have an underslung tank, which is a bit fiddly to turn off and on. We turn it off on ferries, but otherwise leave it on. Working on the principle that lpg powered vehicles have tanks and obviously cannot turn them off when travelling.
Me too. There’s no way I am going to be crawling about on the ground trying to reach the lever every time we stop for coffee.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
On,
The AES fridge we have has a built in timer to ensure the fridge doesn't switch on at petrol stations. Why is that function there if the gas is meant to be turned off when travelling?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
To put this into perspective, can anyone on here say they have ever had a problem as a result of having it on. Not the, "I once heard from someone down the pub...." brigade, but actually had a problem?

Wyn

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
As previous answers. AES fridge, so it basically on, then voo doo takes over when your driving, filling up with go juice, connecting up to ehu etc. ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On,
The AES fridge we have has a built in timer to ensure the fridge doesn't switch on at petrol stations. Why is that function there if the gas is meant to be turned off when travelling?
Still need the regulator with crash sensor and anti rupture hoses/bottles to travel safely with it on.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Which is why they are not allowed in the Chunnel.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Usually on. as when I get picked up from work on our outward journey, I get in the shower while she drives. :D
but all other travelling times off.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Usually on. as when I get picked up from work on our outward journey, I get in the shower while she drives. :D
but all other travelling times off.

You could be a good 'guinea oig' for testing Ryanair's standing passengers.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hmm ... well ... er ... we tend to travel with it on except for ferries/tunnel when we always turn it off.

In our Globecar we had an electric (12v) only fridge which meant we didn't have to worry about changing the power source so we got used to not having to but still normally had the gas on so we could have a cuppa en-route without having to mess about opening the rear doors and taking off the hatch to turn the bottle on and repeating to turn it off before departure, especially since you can bet it would be hissing it down at the time!

In the past, however, I was an advocate of turning it OFF all the time due to a very bad experience with a previous MH when we had a 5ft blowtorch inside due to the dealer fitting a BBQ point badly and a joint coming adrift, not a fault of the original gas system.

Now that we have an AES fridge we'll leave it on otherwise there's no point in having a clever fridge!

Oh, I've just finished off fitting my Gaslow system and installed the little square filler in the only place it would go ... if I'd had the larger round filler I'd have been stuffed!

gas filler.jpg

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
On 24/7 ....
Except when filling with LPG... Then off.. and fridge too...( Just in case) ?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I fhave an underslung tank but I fitted a valve just above the floor where the gas pipe comes into the van, it’s inside a cupboard but easy to turn off.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
On. Always unless asked to turn it off. 50 litres of petrol from a ruptured tank is a considerably greater hazard than a leaking gas supply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back