Gas On or Off while travelling? (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just stating that because there hasn't been an accident involving gas left switched on it doesn't mean it will never happen.Better to be safe than sorry.Its only a minutes job.BUSBY.
Not a lot of use though if the van heating is to work. And the hob when stopping for a brew. I was / am a motorcyclist though so risk means little to me :ROFLMAO: . And on that note why would anyone risk using a scooter / motorcycle / pedal cycle when on holiday? The increased risk of an accident whilst using any of those almost certainly exceeds the increased risk caused by leaving the gas on. Better safe than sorry can be used as an argument to dissuade anyone from doing anything.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not a lot of use though if the van heating is to work. And the hob when stopping for a brew. I was / am a motorcyclist though so risk means little to me :ROFLMAO: . And on that note why would anyone risk using a scooter / motorcycle / pedal cycle when on holiday? The increased risk of an accident whilst using any of those almost certainly exceeds the increased risk caused by leaving the gas on. Better safe than sorry can be used as an argument to dissuade anyone from doing anything.
Not dissuade but take precautions.Drivers wear seatbelts,bikers helmets even when off road,,climbers wear helmets,boaters life jackets,,,why.BUSBY.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
With all the money we spend on our Vans surely an extra hundred or so on gas safety isn't such a hardship?
Leaks can start months or years after installation so annual gas safety test is really a necessity.
We had a tiny leak start on our gas tank on the thread of the pressure relief valve over a year after installation, luckily I have a good sense of smell and had it sorted.
You cant risk it with gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
With all the money we spend on our Vans surely an extra hundred or so on gas safety isn't such a hardship?
Leaks can start months or years after installation so annual gas safety test is really a necessity.
We had a tiny leak start on our gas tank on the thread of the pressure relief valve over a year after installation, luckily I have a good sense of smell and had it sorted.
You cant risk it with gas.
Agreed and I do an annual leak test. This discussion is about whether to travel with gas on or off though and I don't believe any perceived increase in risk from doing so is worth worrying about.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
But it takes no effort to turn gas off anyway. Belt and bracers.BUSBY??

With our underslung tank, you have to grovel about under the edge of the van and remove the cover to get at the main isolator.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back