Gas On or Off while travelling? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
To put this into perspective, can anyone on here say they have ever had a problem as a result of having it on. Not the, "I once heard from someone down the pub...." brigade, but actually had a problem?

Wyn
That's just what they thought about closing the front loading doors on cross channel ferries before the Herald of Free Enterprise sank.BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am just thinking - I am on overtime tonight

If the idea of shutting off the LPG is to prevent fire in the event of a crash, is there much difference from the rupture of a petrol tank with consequent vapourisation of petrol.? They cannot drive without fuel line open.

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's just what they thought about closing the front loading doors on cross channel ferries before the Herald of Free Enterprise sank.BUSBY.
That was down to not checking that the doors were shut and nothing to do with the gas being left on though Busby ... a very sad affair indeed but irrelevant in terms of the conversations we're having on this thread IMV.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our new van has a Toptron crash protection system fitted, so we leave the gas on and use it to heat the van if necessary while travelling.
On our previous vans, we left the gas on too, except when travelling on the tunnel.
I’ve seen people turn their gas off overnight!
I wonder if they do that at home!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
That was down to not checking that the doors were shut and nothing to do with the gas being left on though Busby ... a very sad affair indeed but irrelevant in terms of the conversations we're having on this thread IMV.
Just stating that because there hasn't been an accident involving gas left switched on it doesn't mean it will never happen.Better to be safe than sorry.Its only a minutes job.BUSBY.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our first motorhome was a swift and always turned it off, but since 2009 all of them have had Secumotion regulators with crash sensors and anti rupture hoses, so its left on, except when I refill or crossing the channel, that is what it's designed for. ? Bob.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have an underslung tank, which is a bit fiddly to turn off and on. We turn it off on ferries, but otherwise leave it on. Working on the principle that lpg powered vehicles have tanks and obviously cannot turn them off when travelling.
They have crash sensor cut off valves, does yours?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just stating that because there hasn't been an accident involving gas left switched on it doesn't mean it will never happen.Better to be safe than sorry.Its only a minutes job.BUSBY.
You could apply that logic to all sorts of things that have never happened but 'might'.

Just to clarify though - we have a refillable gas system with Gaslow stainless steel woven pipes joining the cylinders to the regulator/filler and a very thick Gas-it pipe joining the two bottles, so they are a lot stronger/better than the usual orange rubber stuff that is used with Calor etc type bottles which I certainly would NOT leave turned on as they could easily rupture in an accident.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
You could apply that logic to all sorts of things that have never happened but 'might'.

Just to clarify though - we have a refillable gas system with Gaslow stainless steel woven pipes joining the cylinders to the regulator/filler and a very thick Gas-it pipe joining the two bottles, so they are a lot stronger/better than the usual orange rubber stuff that is used with Calor etc type bottles which I certainly would NOT leave turned on as they could easily rupture in an accident.
There was a bad crash near us, and the engine of one car was found 200 metres further down the road. Under those circumstances, any hose would rupture.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
On 24/7 ....
Except when filling with LPG... Then off.. and fridge too...( Just in case) ?
Absolutely correct, I always have the fridge on Gas so never allow the 12v to kick in as it’s non productive really along with all the safety features that are now on offer why wouldn’t you.

Most of the above comments are following a level of safety.however, there’s the other type of Motorhomer/Camper person/Caravanner along with the person with Van with a mattress in the back that tops up a Bottle with a simple fitting and a bit of hose and we worry about safety.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
There was a bad crash near us, and the engine of one car was found 200 metres further down the road. Under those circumstances, any hose would rupture.

I don’t think so! If you have the Anticrash/ Secumotion sensor fitted this immediately enables the shut off valve to close the system down, therefore,no gas/log reaches the hoses and there is no pressure, Of course not all Leisure vehicles including Motorhomes are fitted with them.

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
What is the crash system they say is fitted to my new van, anyone got one or know about them, and are they so you can drive with your Alde on?

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Our gas locker is under the bed (have to lift part of the bed to get at the valve - a real hassle) so I fitted CS regulator and hose. On all the time except Tunnel.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
... and there'd be fuel all over the road too ... so should we all go electric?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don’t think so! If you have the Anticrash/ Secumotion sensor fitted this immediately enables the shut off valve to close the system down, therefore,no gas/log reaches the hoses and there is no pressure, Of course not all Leisure vehicles including Motorhomes are fitted with them.
I don't think that's correct, according to the below info, whilst the secumotion regulator will cut the gas supply off to the vehicle system piping (ie passed the reg into the MH) it will NOT prevent there being any gas in the hoses from the cylinders to the reg, hence the need for SBS (anti-rupture) hoses too. However if the hoses are somehow ruptured/damaged gas will still be delivered to the hose from the open cylinder and of course if the cylinder fittings/valves leak gas may not go into the MH pipes but will still get out into the MH gas locker etc. It's not a totally 'foolproof' system which some seem to think it is.

SecuMotion regulates and monitors the consumption of liquid gas. If the specified consumption is exceeded or if the pressure at the regulator outlet falls below 27 mbar (due to a gas pipe break, for example), the integrated gas flow monitor will shut off the flow of gas.

IMV the safest system would be one where it can be fitted directly to each individual cylinder so it would be cut off at the source of the gas.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
However if the hoses are somehow ruptured/damaged gas will still be delivered to the hose from the open cylinder and of course if the cylinder fittings/valves leak gas may not go into the MH pipes but will still get out into the MH gas locker etc. It's not a totally 'foolproof' system which some seem to think it is.

The Rupture Proof Valve is screwed onto the cylinder. Then a rubber hose to the regulator.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The Rupture Proof Valve is screwed onto the cylinder. Then a rubber hose to the regulator.
Ah, so what I said about the actual regulator was correct, in that it cannot prevent the gas entering the hoses from the cylinder which is what I was initially referring to in my earlier response to Littlewheels.

So, if you have the regulator but NOT the actual anti-rupture hoses as well in effect the you are only fitting a half-hearted system.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Off on ferries and Chunnel, otherwise on (underslung tank).

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Alas I have been to several accidents where cars have caught fire with the occupants trapped after an accident.

Unless I forget, it’s off for me!

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Ah, so what I said about the actual regulator was correct, in that it cannot prevent the gas entering the hoses from the cylinder which is what I was initially referring to in my earlier response to Littlewheels.

So, if you have the regulator but NOT the actual anti-rupture hoses as well in effect the you are only fitting a half-hearted system.

My analysis was on the basis of having anti rupture hoses as a matter of course and I doubt any installer of the Ecomotion Regulator would fit it without regulatory hoses,therefore, the LPG in the hoses beyond the regulator would not have any pressure to speak of or hold enough LPG to worry about.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

But it takes no effort to turn gas off anyway. Belt and bracers.BUSBY??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My analysis was on the basis of having anti rupture hoses as a matter of course and I doubt any installer of the Ecomotion Regulator would fit it without regulatory hoses,therefore, the LPG in the hoses beyond the regulator would not have any pressure to speak of or hold enough LPG to worry about.
Maybe, but not all systems are fitted by 'installers' so those doing their own install may not realised that you need both to have the 'full' protection. On one forum I found that someone had had a Secumotion reg fitted and the fitter had NOT put the anti-rupture hose back on as he/she was unaware what it was!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
But it takes no effort to turn gas off anyway. Belt and bracers.BUSBY??
... but I wanna use my lovely big fridge on AES ... ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What is the crash system they say is fitted to my new van, anyone got one or know about them, and are they so you can drive with your Alde on?
If you want to drive with Alde heating on the best way is to have a heat exchanger to use engine coolant heat.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back