Gas on/off? (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
I know the manual recommends turning the propane gas off at the bottle when driving but I was wondering if all established members are strict about this or do some ignore that recommendation? Sometimes turning it off at the bottle affects my fridge ...even with the 12v left on, I occasionally need to switch the fridge off then back on again when parked up for a while to stop it flashing with the 15 minute time delay kicking in. Interested in views ....is there a serious risk of exploding or is it more to do with safety as a result of an accident?

thanks

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We always switch our gas off when driving if we stop for a break we let it bleep and it stops after a few mins,but the fridge is still cold enough.if we are stopping for any length of time then we will turn the gas on.only takes a minute.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It is accident safety. I always turn off. I don't want to be blamed for fire and injury resulting from my laziness. As mine is underslung in the centre line of the vehicle and is not close to reachable without clambering underneath, I've installed an electronic valve, with a switch reachable from the driver's seat, so I can turn everything important off without undoing my seatbelt.

Some people install automatic crash valves instead so they can use their fridge on gas. My fridge is compressor, so this would be unnecessary for me. The electronic or manual valve is slightly safer as it is embedded into the tank, whilst the crash valves available tend to have a short unprotected tail.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
I know the manual recommends turning the propane gas off at the bottle when driving but I was wondering if all established members are strict about this or do some ignore that recommendation? Sometimes turning it off at the bottle affects my fridge ...even with the 12v left on, I occasionally need to switch the fridge off then back on again when parked up for a while to stop it flashing with the 15 minute time delay kicking in. Interested in views ....is there a serious risk of exploding or is it more to do with safety as a result of an accident?

thanks

We used a Truma DuoControl CS on our last MoHo which we have spare if you are interested for a fair price ;). New MoHo came with one already installed. Nice to be able to leave it on and have the protection of the CrashStop.

Just don't forget to turn it off when unused and without hookup and the with the fridge still on in auto mode! Ran out of gas more than once with that!

BigDean

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Always on. Although this mh has a crash safety cut-off we've left it on on every previous one. In Winter running the hab heating is the only way to stay warm.

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
If I understand correctly the Truma DuoControl CS isolates gas to the van in the event of a crash/bump.
The feed line (pigtails) to the regulator can also be rupture protected.

My question is if you are travelling and you get some kind of failure of a gas line after the regulator.
Would the flow through the regulator be high enough to trigger the pigtail shut offf or would the gas just continue to flow?

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
I leave it on as there is a crash sensor fitted, but reading this I am thinking it should be off even with the crash sensor fitted 🤔
If there was no sensor would deffo turn off 👍

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
It is accident safety. I always turn off. I don't want to be blamed for fire and injury resulting from my laziness.

Could you explain a bit more about the electronic valve please. Our van is similar, under slung tank, would be great to be able to turn on and off from inside!
Thanks
Bill

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Could you explain a bit more about the electronic valve please. Our van is similar, under slung tank, would be great to be able to turn on and off from inside!

You need the valve:

This replaces the manual shutoff valve. These are pretty standard for 4 hole tanks. However, it is a pig to replace, I suggest you get help with it! The torque required is immense.

However, you also need an ECU to power it. You could just not bother and give it 12V direct from a switch, but it will waste a lot of electricity. An ECU to drop the current is essential unless you are always on EHU.

Unfortunately, they don't even seem to be listing the required ECU at the moment. No idea if there are other suppliers. All it has to do is drop the voltage efficiently to about 2V once the solenoid has opened. I bet there are many other industrial applications for such a device.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Always off when driving. Propane is more flammable than petrol.
Doubt a crash sensor would work if the van caught fire.
Wouldn’t want the gas to make any fire worse.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Always off for us when driving, if we pull over for a break, like jimhorlicks said fridge stays cool enough.. (y)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Always OFF when driving, it is like wearing a seatbelt, I have been doing that since it became compulsory, it has not been any use on all that time, but I still do it. The same with the gas being off.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Leave it on, but as others have said we have crash protection built into the LPG system, if we didn't I would isolate every time.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
On.
Why do Dometic and other fridge manufacturers making 3 way fridges incorporate a 15 minute delay into the gas ignition while making fuel stops if the gas is meant to be off when travelling?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
So how do you turn your gas off?
As OP says "recommend to turn off at bottle"... simple if you do have bottles.
What about underslung tanks.. yes they also
have tank isolating valves but how many of us clamber under van every time you want to turn gas on/off. And how many rely on the on-board manifold... yes that will isolate gas to appliances but what about the exposed pipe run between tank and manifold which is still suseptable to crash damage. I appreciate some say they have remote/automatic shut off valves... but again how close are they fitted to tank?
PS I travel with gas on

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
On but only because I have the crash sensing regulator and the pigtail rupture protection. You need both, one protects the low pressure side and the other the high pressure side. My Alugas cylinder also has an excess flow valve. My AES fridge has a 15 minute delay before switching to gas after stopping the engine to avoid inadvertently firing up when fuelling.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Off.

Its gas.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Off.
It doesn’t take more than 3min47s to open the locker & turn the bottle’s valve and it’s next to the EHU cabinet so I’ve usually been to that part of the MH

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If I understand correctly the Truma DuoControl CS isolates gas to the van in the event of a crash/bump.
The feed line (pigtails) to the regulator can also be rupture protected.

My question is if you are travelling and you get some kind of failure of a gas line after the regulator.
Would the flow through the regulator be high enough to trigger the pigtail shut offf or would the gas just continue to flow?
The pigtails should be protected by anti rupture valves at the bottle end. In case of a sudden increase in gas flow they turn it off.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
About the only time I turn ours off is when going through the tunnel.
Van has been sitting on the drive for the last two weeks and the gas is still on.
We do have the Truma crash thingy fitted though. (y)

Richard.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Truma CS regulator installed so confidentially left on unless using the tunnel (y)

Plenty of petrol cars, taxi's and buses running on LPG that wouldn't get very far if their tanks were switched off......;)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Petrol vs LPG. The vapour of each is effectively equally inflammable. In an accident sufficiently dramatic to cause a leak of either petrol will stick around and present a serious fire risk until it is either neutralised or evaporates. LPG will, given the slightest breeze, disappear harmlessly. If the accident is enough to rupture a gas tank or cylinder no valve or shut-off device will help. Diesel is of course relatively safe when spilled.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back