Gas locker catch (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I need to replace the gas locker catch as it no longer grips enough to secure the door open, the bump on me head is testament to that. New catch purchased but I have noticed the old catch is pop riveted on. Anyone know if they are just ordinary Ali rivets?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You need "peel" rivets that spread out. eBay just a few quid for a pack.
I replaced some on the rear lockers of my autotrail. I can't remember length off hand but will check my eBay history see if I can find it.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Tonka
Peel rivets are a new one on me, Looking at pictures and considering the spread did they drill out ok enough for the new ones to do their job?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Funnily enough ours has just started doing that as well!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Tonka
Peel rivets are a new one on me, Looking at pictures and considering the spread did they drill out ok enough for the new ones to do their job?

On the Autotrail Facebook group it was a common topic at one time. I just drilled mine out, fitted new catch with a blob of sikaflex ( puraflex 40 from Toolstation) then the peel rivets that spread out inside. The original poster recommended a size but I thought they were to long so went with a shorter one. The also have another name but can't recall. Not at home till Thursday but can check then on my pc what I ordered.

Screenshot_20190828_191737_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I had a problem with the existing rivets that left oversize holes when removed so I fitted an oval stainless steel plate over the holes and fitted a new catch on to the s/s plate with self tapping screws.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Diabalo H iDane
Hope everything is good with you.
Anyway, now getting around to changing the gas locker catch on our Autotrail and just wanted to ask if you used the suggested peel rivets and what length \ diameter were they?
TIA

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Diabalo H iDane
Hope everything is good with you.
Anyway, now getting around to changing the gas locker catch on our Autotrail and just wanted to ask if you used the suggested peel rivets and what length \ diameter were they?
TIA

Yes we are good down here in sunny Kent, I hope you are the same.

LOL still on me list to do, was going to drill out the old ones so I can work out what length I need.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
LOL still on me list to do, was going to drill out the old ones so I can work out what length I need.
You're worse than me! 8 months.:rolleyes:;)

Anyway, was having a wee think about it again yesterday (amazing what your mind turns to when slurping a G&T in the sunshine) and given I haven't bought a new catch yet I wondered if I could maybe "expand" the "pin" side of the catch (fitted to the locker door) so it again fits the receiver side (fitted to the body). So I cleaned and roughed up the pin (used a plasterboard saw to get it very rough) with a thought to try and stick a very fine piece of something to it. However, after the roughing up the pin was nearly large enough to hold in the receiver so just put a layer of adhesive on the pin and, lo and behold, this morning (after it had dried) it's a very good fit.
I initially thought about Evo Stick or a plastic adhesive I've got a tube of but son reminded me that I'd bought some Araldite Rapid to fix the door mirror on his car (yeh I know, the word you're looking for is mug!) so I used that. Only time will tell on how long it may last.
Don't know if it might be an option for yourself, at least as an interim fix until it smooths down again?

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I tried your method with a moldable putty like stuff but it didn't stick, didn't think about Araldite, will give that ago before replacing. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

Can we have out sunshine back from Scotland please, it's cloudy here at the moment.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Can we have out sunshine back from Scotland please, it's cloudy here at the moment.
No way!
Weather has deteriorated badly up here!
We've got a couple of white fluffy clouds ruining the clear blue sky just now.:cry:
Forecast for tea time is :crying::crying::crying:

1587981186701.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back