Gas and electric usage (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have just booked our first trip this year, it is in July so I'm hoping it will go ahead. The site I have booked is a CS with no facilities, I have never stayed on a site without EHU for 7 days before (I have had a sheltered life :happy: ) I have a solar panel, I have not had this before either, so I'm hoping the battery will last, I am worried about the battery it is 95AH and I have 100 w solar, I want to have TV and lighting plus charge 2 phones and the water pump.

Not too worried, but not sure about the gas I have 2 X 6 kg propane bottles, 1 is not full, I will have 2 fridges, hot water and if it gets cold (I hope not in July) heating plus BBQ and cooking etc. I can always pick up another bottle if needed.
Do you think it will last a week?

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
What's the worst that could happen?
Might have to go home a day or two early.

Water pump & phones negligible.
Is your lighting LED, if so negligible [long days, short nights]
TV is the only significant drain... and that depends on the TV and how long you watch it for.

In my case, the 120w solar has usually replenished the battery usage from the night before by the time I get up...

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
What's the worst that could happen?
Might have to go home a day or two early.

Water pump & phones negligible.
Is your lighting LED, if so negligible [long days, short nights]
TV is the only significant drain... and that depends on the TV and how long you watch it for.

In my case, the 120w solar has usually replenished the battery usage from the night before by the time I get up...
All the lighting is LED and the TV is 12 volt we also watch movies downloaded to a phone and use a cable to play on the TV, I know that is power hungry so we may have to be careful

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Make sure you charge phones and stuff earlier in the day so the solar has a chance to allow the battery to recover. Make sure the pitch is out in the open so the solar isn't shaded. If the weather is pants then solar may struggle to recharge heavier use, but provided you don't go mad battery should just about cope. After all in July it's not getting darker so you need lighting till at least 8pm, so your danger use is possibly the TV.

You can always go for a bit of a drive midweek to put some power in via engine (great if you have a B2B system), whilst you replace the gas cylinder that was only part filled.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Make sure you charge phones and stuff earlier in the day so the solar has a chance to allow the battery to recover. Make sure the pitch is out in the open so the solar isn't shaded. If the weather is pants then solar may struggle to recharge heavier use, but provided you don't go mad battery should just about cope. After all in July it's not getting darker so you need lighting till at least 8pm, so your danger use is possibly the TV.

You can always go for a bit of a drive midweek to put some power in via engine (great if you have a B2B system), whilst you replace the gas cylinder that was only part filled.
I have to confess, I have gone to the dark side! we used to have a PVC and the driving charged the battery no problem, but now we are tuggers so the van will be parked all week. We do have to come back home every 2 days to check on FIL so at worst I will have to bring the battery with me and put it on charge for a couple of hours at home. This is a trial for us and if it fails I will have to get more solar and possibly another battery

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
The dark side šŸ˜³ bonus is if you run out of gas you can nip out but Iā€™m sure you will be fine.
chill & enjoy šŸ˜‰

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I think you'll be fine with that set up. Our set up and usage is very similar and we cope easily, even on a cloudy day, as long as the cloud is white the battery will recharge fully during the day. We have the TV on for a couple of hours during the day and a couple of hours at night (at least)

In Benidorm the battery is full by 10am šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I have a voltmeter and keep an eye on that. I turn the TV off when the voltage drops to 12.4V.
I will all depend on how sunny its been that day as to how long you be able to use it.
I do have bigger panels but I think it wonderful that the batteries are half charged again before I've even got out of bed.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I reckon you will be fine depending how much your fridges use
If you are worried you could put all your lights and tv on tomorrow plus charge your phones and see how it copes by the time night comes

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
For many years we have been to France for between 2 and 3 weeks and always take two full 6kg bottles of gas. We have never started second bottle in all these years, even the year the electric element on the fridge packed up on day one.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You should get 6 or 7 amps from your panel in sunshine.

Mobile phone will use 0.5 amps for maybe an hour, then virtually nothing.
Our 18" TV takes about 2.5 amps
LED lights 1 amp typically (unless you like them all on šŸ˜‚)
Water pump about 3 or 4 amps but only for very short periods.

So even with the TV on during the day and charging 2 phones, there would still be at least 2.5 amps going into the battery and 3.5 when the phones have finished charging. If it's cloudy just leave the TV off during the day šŸ‘

PS if you get a BM1 battery monitor you'll know exactly how much power you have left in percentage/bargraph/time etc.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I agree with everything Richard and Ann said

IF you feel like it double up your batteries if you have space and you should be OK as long as the sun shines a few hours a day

Last year we did 5 weeks and 800 miles we didn't have hook-up once (aires and Stellplatz only) we used around 3kg of gas (although we only have one fridge) and SWMBO had TV on every night

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
When tugging, we regularly spent up to 7 days on site with no EHU and no solar panels or LED lights back then. Check with the CS owner - they may offer battery charging.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Been wild camping for 12 weeks now - just make sure the fridge is on gas, if on 12v it will kill your batteries. Everything else should be fine although I get a bit nervous after 3 days with no sunshine, I have 360watt solar. At worst the engine will recharge the lot with a good run out if allowed.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
All the lighting is LED and the TV is 12 volt we also watch movies downloaded to a phone and use a cable to play on the TV, I know that is power hungry so we may have to be careful
One slight caveat..... my van (and the last one) had all LED mood lighting which looks great. I was staggered at how much power they actually used. The reason was of course that there were a lot of them and although individually efficient, a lot of them are a very pretty power hog. Found out to my cost.........:blush:

Kai Morrison

Free Member
Sep 19, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg CaraLoft
Exp
1 year on
You could always take the van out for a drive to charge the hab battery if solars not charging enough.

Kai

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
One slight caveat..... my van (and the last one) had all LED mood lighting which looks great. I was staggered at how much power they actually used. The reason was of course that there were a lot of them and although individually efficient, a lot of them are a very pretty power hog. Found out to my cost.........:blush:
I've noticed this too. LEDs are getting brighter not because they're more efficient but the manufacturers seem to be driving them harder. Years ago when I first read an LED heat dissipation article I thought wth?šŸ¤” LEDs don't produce heat! šŸ˜³... well nowadays they are brighter and do. The latest tape I bought is 2 amps per metre at 12v and they get hot, so hot yesterday I pulled the diffuser off the aluminium channel they are in.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Been wild camping for 12 weeks now - just make sure the fridge is on gas, if on 12v it will kill your batteries. Everything else should be fine although I get a bit nervous after 3 days with no sunshine, I have 360watt solar. At worst the engine will recharge the lot with a good run out if allowed.
He's in a caravan!!!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
So if you are driving the car regularly, as you indicated, you can always take some 12 volt power off the car battery via the towing electrics if required.

In our tugging days we didn't have a battery in the van - relied on car battery, including for TV. And no led lights then either... ;) (y)

Oh, and others have said, you'll be fine for gas. :giggle:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Take some jump leads and you can connect them to your car and caravan batteries and run the engine in an emergency. I think that you have to turn your headlights on to trick the alternator in to being under load. More clever people will put you right.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Fridges vary massively so that's your biggest gas usage, I remember when I first came on here and lenny said how much gas he used and I thought he was having a laugh and I said so šŸ¤ but on googling it I found modern fridges use a lot of gas
I can do 10 days in September with a 160w panel, 2x110ah batteries and run hairdryer, smart phones, laptops, pit lights and never ran out

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Thank you everyone for all the advice, we have been motorhoming for years but we are new to solar, the panel came with the caravan and we have not used it yet. When we had the MoHo we never had a problem because we would drive it at least every 3 days and that would charge the battery. Now we think driving the caravan may not be so easy :LOL:

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Download a couple of films onto a tablet so you have backup entertainment if you have a ā€bad battery dayā€

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back