Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
I would like to install a gas alarm/detector. It is apparently needed in case of gas leak but also for safety as I have heard many were gazed whilst sleeping and then got robbed. Could I have any recommendation on best and most reliable gas alarm for MH?
Thank you

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Motorhomes use LPG which is heavier than air, and MOHO's have low level ventilation so gas is likely to drop out before building up inside, so don't trust a gas detector to find a gas leak. They are used on boats where low level holes are problematic.🙂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mou and Iryna

Mou and Iryna

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
just to set your mind at rest no one has ever been gassed in a motorhome
I am sorry to contradict you but I have friends in Spain who stopped on motorway services in France and were gassed on their 1st night. They took all their cash and credit cards. They were shocked when they woke up the following morning. Ver sad !!
I just bought a MH back in February and I want to make sure to be equipped !

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I would like to install a gas alarm/detector. It is apparently needed in case of gas leak but also for safety as I have heard many were gazed whilst sleeping and then got robbed. Could I have any recommendation on best and most reliable gas alarm for MH?
Thank you
Just be sure you know which gas is which, and what the hazards are.

LPG is not poisonous but is explosive when mixed with air. It has an additive that makes it smell really bad, so you can tell if there's a bad leak.

CO (carbon monoxide) is the killer gas, produced by incomplete burning of fuels like LPG. It is odourless, and will kill you without waking you up.

CO2 (carbon dioxide) is a normal part of air, and is harmless. If you are in a sealed room, and it's full of CO2, it's the lack of oxygen that will be a problem, not the CO2. High levels of CO2 cause restlessness and even a feeling of panic, waking you up if you are asleep.

I'm not convinced by any story of 'narcotic' (sleeping) gases, there never seems to be any actual evidence of the gas or its effects.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I am sorry to contradict you but I have friends in Spain who stopped on motorway services in France and were gassed on their 1st night. They took all their cash and credit cards. They were shocked when they woke up the following morning. Ver sad !!
Did they steal their Rolex watches by any chance.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I believe Waeco do a gas alarm that is reasonably robust and decent reliability.

However, I would be interested to know how your friend knew that gas had been used, perhaps that they just were robbed very quietly.
It is also key advice to avoid overnight stops in motorway services.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
No-one, but, no-one, has been verified as to have been 'gassed'. It is an urban myth, with no truth in it. I know friends of friends, say they have been 'gassed', but it is never ever proven. It is a load of tosh!

Craig

Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
42ADC414-3B28-44E4-827B-24498B0D0C87.gif

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
What is this knock out gas people talk of exactly, sounds more like a James Bond film than a motorhome holiday.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Looks like this one will detect LPG

Amazon product ASIN B07DQGF98Y
As for being gassed, nobody seems to know exactly what gas the criminals use so could be a bit more tricky to select a detector🤔
If we knew what the alleged ciminals were using to gas campers, we could literally bottle it and sell it ... Pay your CL Fees for a couple of nights ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
Out on a wee park up in Scotland next to a pub, the missy’s gave me her tap card to go get a few pints
Overstayed my welcome on the Guinness she said in the morning that she had been robbed and gassed.
☹️🍺🍺🍺🍺

OP
OP
Mou and Iryna

Mou and Iryna

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
I believe Waeco do a gas alarm that is reasonably robust and decent reliability.

However, I would be interested to know how your friend knew that gas had been used, perhaps that they just were robbed very quietly.
It is also key advice to avoid overnight stops in motorway services.
Hi Phil. They woke up with a very bad head and when the Gendarms turned up, they confirmed that it was a classic. They put a pipe through air vents or the windows (which was a crack open) and once the victims were fast asleep, they break in through the front cabin. The Gendarms did say that it was not recommended to stop overnight in the service stations, as they are very unsafe. I was not with them, they just related the story to me, after their holiday. That is why I am looking into this. Thanks for the advice on Waeco. I will look into it. Cheers. M (y) :cool:

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Hi Phil. They woke up with a very bad head and when the Gendarms turned up, they confirmed that it was a classic. They put a pipe through air vents or the windows (which was a crack open) and once the victims were fast asleep, they break in through the front cabin. The Gendarms did say that it was not recommended to stop overnight in the service stations, as they are very unsafe. I was not with them, they just related the story to me, after their holiday. That is why I am looking into this. Thanks for the advice on Waeco. I will look into it. Cheers. M (y) :cool:
I’m sure they were “insured” 🤣🤣🤣

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Didn't anyone notice the 40ft tanker the thieves used to pump in the gas that is so good they can't even get it in hospitals to use as an anaesthetic?

What a load of rubbish.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Didn't anyone notice the 40ft tanker the thieves used to pump in the gas that is so good they can't even get it in hospitals to use as an anaesthetic?

What a load of rubbish.
They woke up with "a bad head" so could have used exhaust fumes 👍😳😏

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The police were as we know speculating as they could not have found any traces of gas..
And
How do you get to fall into a deep sleep and the robbers can just walk in without a problem.
We all know that the amount of gas required is almost impossible to administrator in a motorhome environment.
And how come no one has died as yet. As it cant be a controlled amount.
Fortunately its all bluff and speculation by the local police.

Damn!
I have responded to a gassing thread... 🙉

OP
OP
Mou and Iryna

Mou and Iryna

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
They woke up with "a bad head" so could have used exhaust fumes 👍😳😏
Hi Guys.
I have put out there a genuine request regarding gas alarm, based on what I was told by a friend of mine. Just wanting some polite feedback.
I have since bombarded by a barrage a sarcastic comment, which are totally not needed nor appreciated. People are more than welcome to give their thoughts on the subject without insult and sarcasm. Thank you

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back