LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Over the years I have had many dealings with Garmin.. usually with a positive outcome, but this time......

We had been having odd problems with the 760 camper for some time.
Sometimes it could not work out a route, sometimes report no access, and finally this year, on the way to Beni, it got REALLY confused and could not work out where we were... Placing us once in a field, and then in the sea before throwing a complete tizzy and just dispaying a blank screen

When we got to Beni I hooked it up to the computer and did a full restore from the Garmin server
Bingo ! It came back to life... But if 'no tolls' was selected it still could not handle a route over about 300 miles

When we got back to the UK and I had 10 minutes, I called Garmin help desk.. It is an 0800 number
After running through a few tests the chap came to the same conclusion I had.. it was not a well GPS !

Arrangements were made to return it under their standard out of warranty scheme which has a cost of £109 all in
BUT, said the guy, we are desperately short of the 760 Camper.. I will send you the proformer invoice, and if you can get it sorted today I will reserve one for you.

Forms duly arrived, completed, and the £109 paid on line straight away.
Called back
Yes John, I can see it now and have put a unit to one side with your name on it

Old unit boxed and shipped that day
Two days later an email from Garmin to say the unit had arrived
Following day a mail with a link to a progress of order page.
Unit due to be shipped back on the 26th of March ( this was the 25th )

By Saturday there was no sign of it, and the progress bar had not changed.. still saying it would be returned on the 26th
So Monday make a fone call

Yes, there is a problem.. We do not have any 760's until the end of April

So I explained what had transpired and was put on hold

It would seem that Garmin are one of the few companies that do genuinely record telecons becuse after a few minutes the chap came back on with lots of sorries and said he would see what can be done

Another few minutes on hold, by which time I was somewhat hot under the collar..
He came back and said nope, there was just nothing he could do

I lost it a bit ( not too much .. not a full on spleen venting, but enough to make the point I ws not exactly ecstatic )

Tell you what, you refund the money I have paid and return my old unit.. it might not be great but was better than bugger all

Just a minute sir ( I had jumped from John to sir !)

On hold for several minutes this time

OK, we are going to upgrade you to a better unit, boxed and brand new.. ( the 770 LMT-D Camper )
Is that ok ?

It would be if they could get it to me next day as that is when I needed it !

After more hold music and a couple of false starts, yes, he had worked out a way round the automatic system and it would be here next day before 9am

And it was !
At 8am the UPS guy was knocking on the door :)

Soooooo.. conclusion

Garmin have always been pretty customer focused, and generally do as they say.
The 'repair' service (always just send out a replacement when they get yours ) has always been good
This time they cocked up a bit, but went above and beyond to rectify the problem, after only a tiny bit of prodding .
Well done Garmin, and thank you for delivering an excellent solution :)
I have been a customer for MANY years.. Currently have two bike units, three car units, and the camper one
With their actions they have ensured my continued custom and recommendation to others

Oh.. and I LOVE the 770 !! Brilliant unit that is FAR and away better than the 760 :)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I had a similar issue many years ago, my Zumo 550 (a unit designed for motorcycles) started playing up, it was about 5 years old and had been used almost every day of it's 'life'.

After phoning Garmin, they gave me a job number and advised me to send it back to them for repairs, for standard cost of £112.. (The unit had cost me close to £300 or thereabouts).

About a week later I received a brand new boxed Zumo 660 with a letter apologising for not being able to repair my 550, and not having another in stock!

I was well pleased, and would have no issues buying their products again.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our Garmin is getting on a bit now, and had been updated many times, but a couple years ago it went wrong. :eek:
Contacted Garmin do this do that...... No
OK send it back, they sorted it, (y) very pleased with the customer service, they could have sold us a new one. :LOL:
Did updates since we have been back home (y) no problem. :LOL: Bob.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I had a similar issue many years ago, my Zumo 550 (a unit designed for motorcycles) started playing up, it was about 5 years old and had been used almost every day of it's 'life'.

After phoning Garmin, they gave me a job number and advised me to send it back to them for repairs, for standard cost of £112.. (The unit had cost me close to £300 or thereabouts).

About a week later I received a brand new boxed Zumo 660 with a letter apologising for not being able to repair my 550, and not having another in stock!

I was well pleased, and would have no issues buying their products again.
I can beat that !!
Was doing some speed trials on the Bird.
At 158 mph the Quest ( the then Garmin bike GPS ) made a leap for freedom !
All I ever found was the fold up antenna bit :-(
Called Garmin explained what had happened...
No problem... Send us what you have and it will be sorted..About £100 it was back then
Sent of the bit in an envelope with a letter

A new Quest was sent back !

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Can you post the Garmin customer service number John as I have a couple of their units which I need advice on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
20% 1 star on Amazon for the 770 LMT-D Camper, looking at buying a new satnav but thats put me off the Garmin.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I’m having a few laptop problems of late, so I thought I’d try loading garmin express to the wife’s laptop (cos mines lost all ability to connect to web). Anyway got it loaded up, connected zumo 660 to it, halfway thru laptop decides to lock up!! Did this 3 times, I now have no maps and no data on my 660!! I have had years with zero problems with my laptop or stuff like zumo, I guess it’s my turn for everything to go wrong and be dumped on from a great height!!:mad:

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
@Jaws. In what way is the 770 an improvement over your old 760 please?
Is it better/faster performance or are there other extras?
I’ve always been moderately pleased with my well used 760 even though she (yes, it just has to be a ‘she’) does come up with some daft things at times.

Richard.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
@Jaws. In what way is the 770 an improvement over your old 760 please?
Is it better/faster performance or are there other extras?
I’ve always been moderately pleased with my well used 760 even though she (yes, it just has to be a ‘she’) does come up with some daft things at times.

Richard.

I did do a list on the original 770 thread :)

1) The processor seems MUCH faster. Routes and re-route actions were sorted in a much better time
2) Variations on a theme maybe but the set up was good
3) Voice commands worked a lot better ( so no more repeating my self in a more and more terse voice LOL !)
4) Screen quality seemed better
5) Touch screen works so much better.... works with a TOUCH instead of a wild ninja style jab likely to kill a human :)
6) Thinner and lighter
7) Easier and better mount ( though not as easy as the Tomtom which is magnetic )

These are just what I have come up with so far.. I have a feeling there will be more plus points as time goes by

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
20% 1 star on Amazon for the 770 LMT-D Camper, looking at buying a new satnav but thats put me off the Garmin.
I would give that the same credence I would give Diana Abbots maths !
I used to do live testing of GPS units for a mgazine ( and freelanced the articles to others ).
Garmin products in general are well put together, work without issue and unlike many products that are 'improved' have progressed well as time has gone on.
Add to that the excellent customer service on tap ( on a free fone number ) and I fail to see what is not to like :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I’m having a few laptop problems of late, so I thought I’d try loading garmin express to the wife’s laptop (cos mines lost all ability to connect to web). Anyway got it loaded up, connected zumo 660 to it, halfway thru laptop decides to lock up!! Did this 3 times, I now have no maps and no data on my 660!! I have had years with zero problems with my laptop or stuff like zumo, I guess it’s my turn for everything to go wrong and be dumped on from a great height!!:mad:

All is not lost.. Get Garmin Express loaded on a stable computer, plug in the 660 and let it sort its self out :)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I would give that the same credence I would give Diana Abbots maths !
I used to do live testing of GPS units for a mgazine ( and freelanced the articles to others ).
Garmin products in general are well put together, work without issue and unlike many products that are 'improved' have progressed well as time has gone on.
Add to that the excellent customer service on tap ( on a free fone number ) and I fail to see what is not to like :)
Spot on(y)(y)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I am another Garmin fan - I have used Garmin since way back in the early 90's when I had a hand held Garmin "walkers" satnav! :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Jaws. Glad you had a good result John. (y)

What are you going to do with your now redundant Nozatec, with maps and POIs less than a year old? ;) I trust it got you back up the road okay. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Olley, did you read some of the comments of those who gave the 770 a low rating ?
I was intrigued so read what people said..

I only read ONE criticism that had any value, and that concerned the mount..........
Most of the others were either a faulty unit ( fair enough ) or user error
The reviews also relate to the first issue 770 and date back 2 years or so
Things have moved on quite a lot since then

And the 20% equates to just 12 reviews..
The old adage about only folk with a problem will bother to tell others, those who are problem free have nowt to say :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
@Jaws. Glad you had a good result John. (y)

What are you going to do with your now redundant Nozatec, with maps and POIs less than a year old? ;) I trust it got you back up the road okay. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Oh yes Jock.. spot on mate.. It has always been the back up GPS, so it has gone back in the cupboard in the van waiting for the next emergency ! :)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Fair comments jaws, looks like it's between a Garmin or tomtom. Had a classic since about 2003 and decided it's time for an upgrade.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I can only compare that one to the chinese sat navs for 50 quid off ebat which last a year or so.
I would purchase again without hesitation.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
A personal thing, but one of the reasons for using Garmin satnavs is the excellent mapping/routing program Mapsource.

I rarely if ever follow the route the unit calculates, much preferring to create my own ones.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I much prefer my basic Garmin satnav to any other I have used uncluding the Tom Tom built in to the camper and the unknown one built into Lexus car.
My Garmin golf watch has also improved my scores a lot :whistle:(n) it’s brilliant!

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
I dropped my Garmin Camper 660LMT-D from a height of about 30cm onto a wooden floor (so not exactly punishing you'd think). Totally knackered with a cracked screen and unresponsive. Garmin wanted £100 to fix/exchange, but as I only paid £199 for it, didn't seem like a great deal, so I switched to an Android app instead.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I dropped my Garmin Camper 660LMT-D from a height of about 30cm onto a wooden floor (so not exactly punishing you'd think). Totally knackered with a cracked screen and unresponsive. Garmin wanted £100 to fix/exchange, but as I only paid £199 for it, didn't seem like a great deal, so I switched to an Android app instead.
It is a standard charge.. could be a brand new 880, a watch, or a 15 year old 520, charge is always the same

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back